Marky Dread wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 7:56am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 6:22am
Wolter wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 11:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 7:26pm
Because I've been chugging a lot of thru TFC the last couple days, here's my goofy description: If the Beatles came out of the Get Back sessions rejuvenated and happy to play straight-on rock n roll together again for the next twenty or thirty years, that's what TFC sounds like.
I mean, you basically just described "power-pop," but you're not wrong.
Yeah, but there's a bit more sweetness and harmony in TFC than I associate with power pop (sometimes, but not always). Maybe I'm seeing more of a distinction there than is deserved.
You need to acknowledge the likes of "Bad Finger" and "The Raspberries" to get closer. The Beatles "Get Back" sessions you mentioned are a good staring point. With Power Pop it's a mix of before and after punk. There are those bands like the two I've just mentioned as examples then there is the New Wave Power Poppers like Katrina and the Waves etc. Teenage Fanclub are much closer to the pre punk bands in sound. But there are a lot of influences you get some Beach Boys harmonies then mix that up with the indie sound of The Vaselines/BMX Bandits/Captain America/Eugenius. Eugene Kelly of Vas/Cap Am/Eug was a close friend of the band playing on each others records.
I think that my Beatles allusion to TFC is mostly how pleased they sound to be making music. It's an emotional thing even more than aesthetics. We can certainly locate all kinds of influences and members of the family tree (like you've hit on). But when I hear the Beatles, even knowing the tensions and often bad feelings in the band, they always sounded so good playing together, and TFC generate that same sensation.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Heston and Marky's Friday Top 5

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 8:31am
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 7:56am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 6:22am
Wolter wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 11:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 7:26pm
Because I've been chugging a lot of thru TFC the last couple days, here's my goofy description: If the Beatles came out of the Get Back sessions rejuvenated and happy to play straight-on rock n roll together again for the next twenty or thirty years, that's what TFC sounds like.
I mean, you basically just described "power-pop," but you're not wrong.
Yeah, but there's a bit more sweetness and harmony in TFC than I associate with power pop (sometimes, but not always). Maybe I'm seeing more of a distinction there than is deserved.
You need to acknowledge the likes of "Bad Finger" and "The Raspberries" to get closer. The Beatles "Get Back" sessions you mentioned are a good staring point. With Power Pop it's a mix of before and after punk. There are those bands like the two I've just mentioned as examples then there is the New Wave Power Poppers like Katrina and the Waves etc. Teenage Fanclub are much closer to the pre punk bands in sound. But there are a lot of influences you get some Beach Boys harmonies then mix that up with the indie sound of The Vaselines/BMX Bandits/Captain America/Eugenius. Eugene Kelly of Vas/Cap Am/Eug was a close friend of the band playing on each others records.
I think that my Beatles allusion to TFC is mostly how pleased they sound to be making music. It's an emotional thing even more than aesthetics. We can certainly locate all kinds of influences and members of the family tree (like you've hit on). But when I hear the Beatles, even knowing the tensions and often bad feelings in the band, they always sounded so good playing together, and TFC generate that same sensation.
Yeah i always get a feel good factor to TFC. Like a sheer joy of making music they love.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I've never understood why TFC wasn't bigger here. Their first album came out at the perfect time, and they were so much better than many of their peers (Lemonheads, Live). They were every bit as good as Sugar. I guess they weren't grunge enough.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 9:38am
I've never understood why TFC wasn't bigger here. Their first album came out at the perfect time, and they were so much better than many of their peers (Lemonheads, Live). They were every bit as good as Sugar. I guess they weren't grunge enough.
Isn't one of the stories of the 90s how the US turned away from what was happening in the UK? From the 60s to the 80s, there was always a reliable UK presence on the US charts, but by the 90s it mostly dried up. Think of all those huge bands in the UK at the time—Oasis, Blur, etc—and they were pretty minor, niche concerns across the Atlantic. Diverging tastes only explains things so far; almost certainly there were business decisions made about access to markets and promotion that kept UK bands off American radio in favour of homegrown hip hop, grunge, and boy bands.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 10:02am
JennyB wrote:
Isn't one of the stories of the 90s how the US turned away from what was happening in the UK? From the 60s to the 80s, there was always a reliable UK presence on the US charts, but by the 90s it mostly dried up. Think of all those huge bands in the UK at the time—Oasis, Blur, etc—and they were pretty minor, niche concerns across the Atlantic. Diverging tastes only explains things so far; almost certainly there were business decisions made about access to markets and promotion that kept UK bands off American radio in favour of homegrown hip hop, grunge, and boy bands.
Good point.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

JennyB wrote:
TFC are quite big here —

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 10:58am
TFC are quite big here —

Do you know if soccer is bigger than the Argos in Toronto? I don't really follow the CFL much—I watch the Riders come playoff time, but that's about it—but I don't get the impression that Toronto gives a fuck about the Argos anymore.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 12:08pm

Do you know if soccer is bigger than the Argos in Toronto? I don't really follow the CFL much—I watch the Riders come playoff time, but that's about it—but I don't get the impression that Toronto gives a fuck about the Argos anymore.
Definitely. TFC has done a great job taking advantage of the city's cosmopolitan/multicultural make-up — lots of soccer fans here who were rabid for national teams but didn't have a local club.

That the CFL is a minor league and MLS is the bigs (in North America anyway) probably doesn't help the 'Boatmen either. No one I know cares about the Argos, but even people who don't follow sports are usually interested in hearing about TFC.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 12:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Definitely. TFC has done a great job taking advantage of the city's cosmopolitan/multicultural make-up — lots of soccer fans here who were rabid for national teams but didn't have a local club.

That the CFL is a minor league and MLS is the bigs (in North America anyway) probably doesn't help the 'Boatmen either. No one I know cares about the Argos, but even people who don't follow sports are usually interested in hearing about TFC.
None of what you say really surprises. I wonder if the weak standing of the Argos hurts Toronto's limited hopes of getting an NFL team. I mean, if I'm the NFL I would look at Toronto and see soccer as more popular than football and ask whether an NFL team could generate the necessary support.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 12:35pm
Inder wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

None of what you say really surprises. I wonder if the weak standing of the Argos hurts Toronto's limited hopes of getting an NFL team. I mean, if I'm the NFL I would look at Toronto and see soccer as more popular than football and ask whether an NFL team could generate the necessary support.
4 downs could only be an improvement.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 11:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 12:35pm
Inder wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

4 downs could only be an improvement.
Big boys need extra chances!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Fats Domino (R.I.P.) Top 5.

1. I'm Walking
2. Ain't That A Shame
3. Blueberry Hill
4. I'm Gonna Be A wheel Someday
5. The Fat Man

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 8:33am
That is one saturated photo.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 12:45pm
Marky Dread wrote:
No one else has offered up a top 5. IMCT hates rock 'n' roll!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 12:47pm
Kory wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 12:45pm
Marky Dread wrote:
No one else has offered up a top 5. IMCT hates rock 'n' roll!
Fats is one of my cultural deficits. I don't have enough knowledge to muck in, I'm afraid.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc