General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Heston, Flex and Marky's Friday Top 5

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 7:28pm
baddabam baddabing.
Behold the true musical language of The Drummer. ;)
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 8:05pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
baddabam baddabing.
Fuck you, you guitar playing, songwriting, song singing, fancy notes and chords playing prima donna!

And hey - at least I can play a straight 4/4 beat backwards :twitch:
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 8:39pm
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
baddabam baddabing.
Fuck you, you guitar playing, songwriting, song singing, fancy notes and chords playing prima donna!

:mrgreen:

You know yourself the drummer is the most important component of a band. I'll not even repeat that old cliche but it's true.

Anyway, I use words like "changachangachang" and "dudu-lum" when describing a guitar part to someone in the band.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 8:55pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
baddabam baddabing.

You know yourself the drummer is the most important component of a band. I'll not even repeat that old cliche but it's true.

Anyway, I use words like "changachangachang" and "dudu-lum" when describing a guitar part to someone in the band.
"A drummerless band is a no good band." - Joe Strummer, 'Armagedeon Times' Vol. 1

Shit, I used to sing guitar/bass parts to dudes in rehearsals, especially on covers I knew. And amazingly, most never got annoyed or pissed off at me! :scared:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 9:13pm
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
baddabam baddabing.

"A drummerless band is a no good band." - Joe Strummer, 'Armagedeon Times' Vol. 1

Shit, I used to sing guitar/bass parts to dudes in rehearsals, especially on covers I knew. And amazingly, most never got annoyed or pissed off at me! :scared:
I think that's the McCartney method.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 6:47pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

Michael Jackson would do it too. Bowie would often use colors and other various imagery for conveyance, which he no doubt learned from Brian Eno, who, back then, didn't know a B-flat from a bee keeper.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 7:53pm
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Michael Jackson would do it too. Bowie would often use colors and other various imagery for conveyance, which he no doubt learned from Brian Eno, who, back then, didn't know a B-flat from a bee keeper.
Björk will request "fuzzy" or "friendly" basslines, while Siouxsie once requested that McGeoch make his guitar line sound like a horse falling down the stairs.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 8:05pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

Björk will request "fuzzy" or "friendly" basslines, while Siouxsie once requested that McGeoch make his guitar line sound like a horse falling down the stairs.
Lennon, most likely with some LSD in him, told George Martin to make a song sound like an onion.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 8:07pm
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Lennon, most likely with some LSD in him, told George Martin to make a song sound like an onion.
Was it Glass Onion?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 8:10pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:

Was it Glass Onion?
No, I don't think so.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 8:14pm
Kory wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 8:10pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Was it Glass Onion?
No, I don't think so.
Dr. Google says it's an orange and the song is "Sun King." And there's no way that that sounds like citrus, so George Martin can go screw (in the great beyond).
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

It predates Eno. I can’t find a picture online, but there’s an amazing drawing somewhere Bowie made of his plan for the solo in Moonage Daydream, and I’ll be damned if it doesn’t look like Ronson’s final output.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Wolter wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 8:30pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

It predates Eno. I can’t find a picture online, but there’s an amazing drawing somewhere Bowie made of his plan for the solo in Moonage Daydream, and I’ll be damned if it doesn’t look like Ronson’s final output.
Wow, I'd love to see that. And I guess that makes sense that David was already working in that way. Great minds, and all that...

Heston

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
there’s an amazing drawing somewhere Bowie made of his plan for the solo in Moonage Daydream, and I’ll be damned if it doesn’t look like Ronson’s final output.
That is fantastic.

Man, Moonage Daydream is just so damn great.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 11:13pm
Wolter wrote:
there’s an amazing drawing somewhere Bowie made of his plan for the solo in Moonage Daydream, and I’ll be damned if it doesn’t look like Ronson’s final output.
That is fantastic.

Man, Moonage Daydream is just so damn great.
Hes - serious question here: was Ronson a big influence on your guitar playing? I mean, I can hear the Stuart Adamson influence, with the hyper-melodic, tightly structured, non-blues based leads, but surely Stuart was heavily influenced by Ronno, who operated in a similar "outside the box", non-bluesy way. Is it that heavy Les Paul tone and crazy amp and Cry Baby wah set up he used that makes such a huge difference from his contemporaries? (sorry for getting off topic a bit here).