16%

Total votes: 25

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Re: Kiss vs the Dolls

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:Sorry. I'm relatively sober tonight. I accept the Dolls are better.
Top bloke. Aye. ;)
'til next week. ;)
Do you guys have Rasputin Imperial Stout up there? No? Good!
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:Sorry. I'm relatively sober tonight. I accept the Dolls are better.
Top bloke. Aye. ;)
'til next week. ;)
No, but I've just been reminded of the greatest disco song ever...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Top bloke. Aye. ;)
'til next week. ;)

Excellent!

"While lusting and drinking, his demands for power became greater and greater, and it was decided that something should be done about this madman..."

Remind you of anyone? :mrgreen:

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote: Top bloke. Aye. ;)
'til next week. ;)

Excellent!

"While lusting and drinking, his demands for power became greater and greater, and it was decided that something should be done about this madman..."

Bernie, is that you?

Were Boney M known at all in the States? They were like a shit-but-great ABBA whose songs were all history lessons.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
'til next week. ;)

Excellent!

Bernie, is that you?

Were Boney M known at all in the States? They were like a shit-but-great ABBA whose songs were all history lessons.
Rivers of Babylon is a super-tune.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
'til next week. ;)

Excellent!

Bernie, is that you?

I only remember their version of the Melodians' "Rivers of Babylon" from 'The Harder They Come' soundtrack. I liked it pretty well, but it nothing on the original. Gonna have to check these peeps out a bit, they fun as hell (and I love Abba).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote: Do you guys have Rasputin Imperial Stout up there? No? Good!

Excellent!

Bernie, is that you?

I only remember their version of the Melodians' "Rivers of Babylon" from 'The Harder They Come' soundtrack. I liked it pretty well, but it nothing on the original. Gonna have to check these peeps out a bit, they fun as hell (and I love Abba).
My favourite Boney M song is "Ma Baker" I seriously like that. I also remember their version of The Creation song "Painter Man". One of the band lived in my home town.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I figure this is as good a thread as any to say that I heard the Phil Collins "Can't Hurry Love" at the grocery store, and Jesus, Heston is wrong about this one. Totally flat, soulless performance. Just a useless cover on every level.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:I figure this is as good a thread as any to say that I heard the Phil Collins "Can't Hurry Love" at the grocery store, and Jesus, Heston is wrong about this one. Totally flat, soulless performance. Just a useless cover on every level.
I think the last time I compared the two I remember the backing track to the Collins version being pretty good with the thump of the drums being up louder than the bass which gives the track more punch. The vocal however is a non starter and should not ever be compared to the sweet vocal of Diana Ross.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:I figure this is as good a thread as any to say that I heard the Phil Collins "Can't Hurry Love" at the grocery store, and Jesus, Heston is wrong about this one. Totally flat, soulless performance. Just a useless cover on every level.
I think the last time I compared the two I remember the backing track to the Collins version being pretty good with the thump of the drums being up louder than the bass which gives the track more punch. The vocal however is a non starter and should not ever be compared to the sweet vocal of Diana Ross.
I heard the Supremes version on the radio today. It really lacks the groove of the Phil version. Say what you like about Phil but he is a great drummer. The Supremes version seems, er, hurried.

I also love the strings and backing vocals in Phil's version, the Supremes version has no strings and some rather weedy backing vocals.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Shitfaced on a Monday?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I heard the Supremes version on the radio today. It really lacks the groove of the Phil version. Say what you like about Phil but he is a great drummer. The Supremes version seems, er, hurried.

I also love the strings and backing vocals in Phil's version, the Supremes version has no strings and some rather weedy backing vocals.
Those are fair comments but you have to remember the circumstances and technology of when The Supremes version was cut. The Supremes will always win out in my heart but the backing track as I stated before on the Collins one is good. And YES he's a fucking superb drummer. Shame he's a knob at everything else.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Just paused the new Bon Iver album to do a side by side.

The arrangements are remarkably similar. Good call on the great strings on PC's version. I always thought PC had a really great, unique voice. Diana Ross has a similarly comforting voice. There is a great appeal to the classic sound of the Supremes version. I call it a draw. I'm cool with both. :cool:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Just paused the new Bon Iver album to do a side by side.

The arrangements are remarkably similar. Good call on the great strings on PC's version. I always thought PC had a really great, unique voice. Diana Ross has a similarly comforting voice. There is a great appeal to the classic sound of the Supremes version. I call it a draw. I'm cool with both. :cool:
You, A. H. Wrongthought, have no drunk poll-starting cover for throwing shade at Twat Sphincter's professionally recorded projectile sharts. :naughty: