72%
Black Diamond
16%

Total votes: 25

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Kiss vs the Dolls

Post by Wolter »

The Supremes version just came up on Pandora, coincidentally.

It's really far, far better than Phil Collins. Like light years.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:The Supremes version just came up on Pandora, coincidentally.

That the counter argument has multiple supporters is an extremely sad state of affairs.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

That the counter argument has multiple supporters is an extremely sad state of affairs.
You can't even admire that apart from the fact it's a Phil Collins track that he has made a decent cover? It's not and never will be The Supremes but good pop it is.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

You can't even admire that apart from the fact it's a Phil Collins track that he has made a decent cover? It's not and never will be The Supremes but good pop it is.
Bland, but with good drumming is my charitable assessment.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Remove the Phil vocal and I think it's good.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Anyway Black Diamond - The Replacements. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Possibly.

Heck, I prefer the Stray Cats version, and that's not exactly anything special.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Any virtue to the cover rests on it being a fantastic song, but PC adds zilcho to it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

My fave version of "You Can't Hurry Love", tied with the Supremes actually. I know nothing about the dude (D.L. Byron) except this song from the quite excellent 'Times Square' soundtrack (kinda lame film though) and that he sounds like a cross between Elvis Costello and Garland Jeffreys. Stripped down and souped up as a power-pop rave up.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

muppet hi fi wrote:My fave version of "You Can't Hurry Love", tied with the Supremes actually. I know nothing about the dude (D.L. Byron) except this song from the quite excellent 'Times Square' soundtrack (kinda lame film though) and that he sounds like a cross between Elvis Costello and Garland Jeffreys. Stripped down and souped up as a power-pop rave up.
That's not bad. It actually reminds me a bit of the Stray Cats version (although I guess every stripped down version is going to sound vaguely similar).
EDIT: it looks like his debut album from 1980 is considered a classic by power-pop types.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Any virtue to the cover rests on it being a fantastic song, but PC adds zilcho to it.
That's surely the point of it being a straight cover though. You are not going to top the original in this case and a song like that really doesn't need fucking around with in my opinion. Cover versions are either generic or like say The Flying Lizards great cover of Money (That's What I Want) which again doesn't better the original but is also fantastic. I wouldn't turn off the radio if the Phil version was playing but I would yearn for The Supremes whereas if The Flying Lizards version of Money (That's What I Want) was playing I would be just as contented. Good cover or bad cover or just a plain cover as in the PC version. So I guess I agree with you that it's a tad pointless and only for the hit market. It's not a bad version just a generic version with a punchier drum sound.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That's surely the point of it being a straight cover though. You are not going to top the original in this case and a song like that really doesn't need fucking around with in my opinion. Cover versions are either generic or like say The Flying Lizards great cover of Money (That's What I Want) which again doesn't better the original but is also fantastic. I wouldn't turn off the radio if the Phil version was playing but I would yearn for The Supremes whereas if The Flying Lizards version of Money (That's What I Want) was playing I would be just as contented. Good cover or bad cover or just a plain cover as in the PC version. So I guess I agree with you that it's a tad pointless and only for the hit market. It's not a bad version just a generic version with a punchier drum sound.
Right, I don't see the point of releasing a cover that seeks to just replicate the original. That's what the original exist for. Do something more personal, something more obviously interpretive or keep it to yourself.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Then we're in agreement: Heston is goddamned insane.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:Then we're in agreement: Heston is goddamned insane.
Unanimous dceision.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:Then we're in agreement: Heston is goddamned insane.
Unanimous dceision.
But the PC version isn't identical! Slightly different groove to it, an added string section and the phrasing of the vocals is different in places.

When it came out in 1983 I hadn't heard the original, nor was I likely to for another few years, so it served its purpose. I remember lots of my friends being big fans of the song and video at the time, as it was a huge hit in the UK, actually reaching two places higher than the original.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board