72%
Black Diamond
16%

Total votes: 25

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Kiss vs the Dolls

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

A vote for Black Diamond is a vote for The Replacements. A vote for the Dolls is a vote for good.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:A vote for Black Diamond is a vote for The Replacements. A vote for the Dolls is a vote for good.
This is as much concentrated correctness as one post could be.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

dolls

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I can feel it slipping away. Somebody help me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Last edited by muppet hi fi on 12 Aug 2013, 12:47am, edited 1 time in total.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

muppet hi fi wrote:So Jerry Nolan took a few drum lessons from Gene Kruppa in NYC (according to Jerry, so who knows); then Jerry, who knew Peter Criss, refered Criss to Kruppa for drum lessons.
Kruppa supposedly told Jerry "That kid has no talent whatsoever and should forget about drumming".
"… but he seems perfect to sing horrible maudlin ballads that make people envy the deaf."
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

What did Gene Krupa know about rock and roll?

The fact Peter Criss went on to sell 100 million records says not much.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:What did Gene Krupa know about rock and roll?

According to Wikipedia, "It has been claimed that [Robbie] Williams has sold more albums in the UK than any other British solo artist in history and has won more BRIT Awards than any other artist to date. His album sales stands at over 57 million worldwide. Williams was entered in The Guinness Book of World Records when, after he announced his World Tour for 2006, 1.6 million tickets were sold in one single day."

So, are you coming out to proclaim Robbie Williams' genius?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

According to Wikipedia, "It has been claimed that [Robbie] Williams has sold more albums in the UK than any other British solo artist in history and has won more BRIT Awards than any other artist to date. His album sales stands at over 57 million worldwide. Williams was entered in The Guinness Book of World Records when, after he announced his World Tour for 2006, 1.6 million tickets were sold in one single day."

No, but if I'd tipped him not to make it as a singer I'd have still been very wrong.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

No, but if I'd tipped him not to make it as a singer I'd have still been very wrong.
Given that Criss didn't exactly light the world on fire when he left Kiss, nor did they collapse entirely, I don't think he was that significant to their success. Remember: He was the drummer.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Given that Criss didn't exactly light the world on fire when he left Kiss, nor did they collapse entirely, I don't think he was that significant to their success. Remember: He was the drummer.
Don't forget "Beth" was their breakthrough hit, which in turn sent Destroyer flying up the charts. And I think you'll find they did collapse entirely after he left.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Would his leaving and their subsequent collapse count as a music achievement by a drummer?

Heston

Post by Heston »

dave202 wrote:Would his leaving and their subsequent collapse count as a music achievement by a drummer?
More of an achievement than rattling about on pots and pans and drooling, which is the sum total with most drummers.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:Don't forget "Beth" was their breakthrough hit
You're ignoring that it's absolutely hideous.
And I think you'll find they did collapse entirely after he left.
And yet they just won't die.* And for that you bear considerable responsibility, you and your Animalize t-shirt.

* Eric Carr excepted.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
dave202 wrote:Would his leaving and their subsequent collapse count as a music achievement by a drummer?
More of an achievement than rattling about on pots and pans and drooling, which is the sum total with most drummers.
I suspect a drummer stole Hes' lady back in the day. That's the only way to explain his deep inferiority complex.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.