The Jam

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Jam

Post by Marky Dread »

daredevil wrote:
Heston wrote:
daredevil wrote:That's the way I feel about the album. The only tracks I like are :
Life from a Window
I Need You
Midnight Hour

I love all the other Jam albums, but Modern World I only listned to once or twice. In the 80's I put the songs I liked on cassette with the debut album to fill out the tape.
Here's a brief appraisal of my opinions on the songs. I'd go back and give it another try mate.

"The Modern World" Great
"London Traffic" Poor, even by Bruce's standards.
"Standards" Good
"Life from a Window" Great
"The Combine" Good track
"Don't Tell Them You're Sane" (Bruce Foxton) Okay
"In the Street Today" (Paul Weller, Dave Waller) Good
"London Girl" Okay
"I Need You (For Someone)" Excellent
"Here Comes the Weekend" Okay
"Tonight at Noon" Excellent
"In the Midnight Hour" Below-par cover
I only have the songs on the boxset in a different order and gave them a listen.
Along with the tracks I already mentioned, I'll add Tonight at Noon,The Combine and Standards as some pretty good songs.
If Standards had a faster tempo it could've been one of the best Jam songs back in the day.
The version of "Standards" on the Dig the New Breed! album is fucking brilliant. It was recorded at Reading University (I was there) and it trounces the album version.

I think Heston's list is just about spot on although I like "London Traffic" for the energy although the song isn't up to much.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Marky Dread wrote:
daredevil wrote:
Heston wrote:
daredevil wrote:That's the way I feel about the album. The only tracks I like are :
Life from a Window
I Need You
Midnight Hour

I love all the other Jam albums, but Modern World I only listned to once or twice. In the 80's I put the songs I liked on cassette with the debut album to fill out the tape.
Here's a brief appraisal of my opinions on the songs. I'd go back and give it another try mate.

"The Modern World" Great
"London Traffic" Poor, even by Bruce's standards.
"Standards" Good
"Life from a Window" Great
"The Combine" Good track
"Don't Tell Them You're Sane" (Bruce Foxton) Okay
"In the Street Today" (Paul Weller, Dave Waller) Good
"London Girl" Okay
"I Need You (For Someone)" Excellent
"Here Comes the Weekend" Okay
"Tonight at Noon" Excellent
"In the Midnight Hour" Below-par cover
I only have the songs on the boxset in a different order and gave them a listen.
Along with the tracks I already mentioned, I'll add Tonight at Noon,The Combine and Standards as some pretty good songs.
If Standards had a faster tempo it could've been one of the best Jam songs back in the day.
The version of "Standards" on the Dig the New Breed! album is fucking brilliant. It was recorded at Reading University (I was there) and it trounces the album version.
I forgot about Dig the New Breed! One of the best official live albums ever released.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Love the Jam.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

I go very long stretches without listening to Jam albums...like a year or more. Then I decide that's a swath of my CD collection overdue for rotation and I'm always floored..."Damn, this is flawless." I don't know why it doesn't ever stick for more than those few weeks where I'm listening to all the albums nonstop. Might have something to do with the live sets sounding a little too carbon-copy of the albums. I seem to stick with the habit a lot longer with an artist when the boots offer a significantly different look.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Rat Patrol wrote:I go very long stretches without listening to Jam albums...like a year or more. Then I decide that's a swath of my CD collection overdue for rotation and I'm always floored..."Damn, this is flawless." I don't know why it doesn't ever stick for more than those few weeks where I'm listening to all the albums nonstop. Might have something to do with the live sets sounding a little too carbon-copy of the albums. I seem to stick with the habit a lot longer with an artist when the boots offer a significantly different look.
I'm kind of the same way, actually.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:I go very long stretches without listening to Jam albums...like a year or more. Then I decide that's a swath of my CD collection overdue for rotation and I'm always floored..."Damn, this is flawless." I don't know why it doesn't ever stick for more than those few weeks where I'm listening to all the albums nonstop. Might have something to do with the live sets sounding a little too carbon-copy of the albums. I seem to stick with the habit a lot longer with an artist when the boots offer a significantly different look.
I usually chuck on the Snap! comp and that does me nicely. Though I really love Sound Affects and would have it in my top 10.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Wolter wrote:
Same here. I'm like that with the Damned too. I'll have an off period for a while and then go on a huge kick all of a sudden.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Marky Dread wrote:Though I really love Sound Affects and would have it in my top 10.
Marky Mangione.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chuck Mangione wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:Though I really love Sound Affects and would have it in my top 10.
Marky Mangione.
Fame at last!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sad to say, but I find the Jam less interesting whenever I go back. By no means awful, but I don't see them as vital to discussions about cool music, '76-'82. I suspect Snap and Extras would be enough for me at this point.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Sad to say, but I find the Jam less interesting whenever I go back. By no means awful, but I don't see them as vital to discussions about cool music, '76-'82. I suspect Snap and Extras would be enough for me at this point.
I would've thought Sound Affects would be more your thing as Weller took influence from Wire, Gang of Four, and Joy Division and stripped back The Jam sound.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I don't see them as vital to discussions about cool music, '76-'82.
They made some of the coolest music ever written in that period.

I expect back-up from the Limeys.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Sad to say, but I find the Jam less interesting whenever I go back. By no means awful, but I don't see them as vital to discussions about cool music, '76-'82. I suspect Snap and Extras would be enough for me at this point.
I would've thought Sound Affects would be more your thing as Weller took influence from Wire, Gang of Four, and Joy Division and stripped back The Jam sound.
At one time, yes. But they haven't aged as well for my personal tastes. Nothing ideological or formal about my change of opinion, only that they don't generate much wow in me anymore.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
At one time, yes. But they haven't aged as well for my personal tastes. Nothing ideological or formal about my change of opinion, only that they don't generate much wow in me anymore.
Or in other words, you're Canadian.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Anyway, fuck all the the bollocks about their early stuff. Just listen to "Burning Sky" for an example of a 21 year old guy with an uncanny understanding of older people's relationships.

I'll never understand where it all went wrong with Weller.