What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 10:30am
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 10:18am
I hope the government brings back the 3 day week.
I got a feeling Homer would be a Phil Collins fan.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 11:08am
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 11:13am
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 11:08am
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 8:32am
I must have heard EW a hundred times and there are still songs on there I can't remember when I look at the titles. A lot of it is totally forgettable.
I am the same plus it sounds like it was taped off the radio.

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Like EW a lot - to each their own of course - but for me, Gangsterville, King of Bayou, Island Hopping, Leopardskin Limousines, Jewellers & Bums, Passport to Detroit & Sleepwalk all top notch. And nothing particularly wrong with 2 - 3 others. Don't like Boogie, the one with "Doing a dance called the Robocop, this gesture means I love you" and Ride the Donkey. Of course, the mix could be better... but not a major negative factor for me.

Somebody's got a draw a line somewhere and it might as well be Harry Belafonte.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 10:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 8:54am
revbob wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 8:07am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 7:23am
revbob wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 9:48pm

I'm not gonna lie I played the shit out of my cassette copy back in the day. I still don't hate it.
To the Musical Shame thread!
With all the Phil Collins apologists around here I'll gladly proclaim my lack of hate for EW. No shame here. I might even go as far as to say I like it minus a few really bad tunes on it.
Oh god, yes. I'll listen to EW eight days a week over anything to do with Phil Collins.
I hope the government brings back the 3 day week.
John McDonnell wants us to work a 4 day week. I like him better than Corbyn. More radical and much tougher.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

drowninghere wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 2:14pm
Like EW a lot - to each their own of course - but for me, Gangsterville, King of Bayou, Island Hopping, Leopardskin Limousines, Jewellers & Bums, Passport to Detroit & Sleepwalk all top notch. And nothing particularly wrong with 2 - 3 others. Don't like Boogie, the one with "Doing a dance called the Robocop, this gesture means I love you" and Ride the Donkey. Of course, the mix could be better... but not a major negative factor for me.

Those are three that I can't remember, plus Sikorsky Parts. If someone had a gun at my head I couldn't hum them to save my life. And I've heard the album quite a few times.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Heston wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 3:08pm
drowninghere wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 2:14pm

Those are three that I can't remember, plus Sikorsky Parts. If someone had a gun at my head I couldn't hum them to save my life. And I've heard the album quite a few times.
Passport to Detroit is quite a memorable tune (to me)... both the verses and the choruses, its to the one that begins "IN HONG KONG CITY..." and then the chorus is "Wait for all the lights all the lights in town to go out" and then ends with "check into a desert motel and let the damn in the waters go broke" or something like that.

The other two are more lyrical treats of awesomeness as opposed to memorable or hummable tunes per se.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

It's weird but when I first heard the Meskies and Joe do Forbidden City it felt like I had heard it before and it felt like it should've been the way EW could've sounded. I love that track .

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 5:20pm
It's weird but when I first heard the Meskies and Joe do Forbidden City it felt like I had heard it before and it felt like it should've been the way EW could've sounded. I love that track .
Given the subject matter it should really have been on EW, shouldn’t it? Not sure if it was written in time for the album though? Do like it a lot too.

I’m a fan of EW but would concede I don’t tend to look at it with the critical eye of others. Think that’s because I was so ecstatic to get any kind of record from Joe in 1989 that I was more than willing to be extra kind to it. Still think they’re mostly good songs and the production bothers me as little as the production on the first Clash album.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 5:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Given the subject matter it should really have been on EW, shouldn’t it? Not sure if it was written in time for the album though? Do like it a lot too.

I’m a fan of EW but would concede I don’t tend to look at it with the critical eye of others. Think that’s because I was so ecstatic to get any kind of record from Joe in 1989 that I was more than willing to be extra kind to it. Still think they’re mostly good songs and the production bothers me as little as the production on the first Clash album.
I'm not sure I think the production is to blame entirely. For me the songs struggle to breathe because Joe is being too wordy and trying desperately to cram too many words into one line. The other failing is Zanders guitar sound is all wrong. It sounds too rockest and is mixed too loud. The album is crying out for the acoustics to be brought to the fore. Most people like the Tennors cover version and it's on this track where you can hear the space that should've been afforded to the rest of the material.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 14 Nov 2018, 6:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

The production on the first Clash album is rough and ready but important things like the vocals are clear and present. There are parts of EW where Joe's voice just disappears into this distant mumble.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 6:02pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

The production on the first Clash album is rough and ready but important things like the vocals are clear and present. There are parts of EW where Joe's voice just disappears into this distant mumble.
Mickey Footes production on the first album is perfect for the time. Everything that needs to be heard can be heard and any technical deficiencies the band may have had for a band still learning their craft are not present.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I do take on board those criticisms, perfectly legitimate, I guess I just really like the album despite its obvious flaws. I’ve said before one of its problems is Joe is just trying too hard and I’d stand by that. I didn’t expect him to come out with a classic album at the time and think it’s pretty good considering where he was in his life at that time. And I actually like Zander’s contribution and like a couple of the live shows around that time. Not that there was much future in the LRW project but it’s a period I look back on with fondness. Someone criticized Sikorsky Parts above. I think that’s a killer track while Dizzys Goatee is an unheralded gem in the Strummer canon imo.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Post-punk revivalism out of Nebraska. Sinister disco beats with bloopy and buzzy, very artificial-sounding synths. There's a certain sameness to the songs, but if you dig the death disco genre, this will likely appeal.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft