What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
27 May 2018, 8:53am
Wolter wrote:
27 May 2018, 8:33am
Ah yeah!
What tracklist did you use for your mix cd?
It’s not deep cuts. Mostly just the hits and a few upbeat album tracks.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Some black chicks travel into the future to cover Phil Collins. Awesome stuff!
Attachments
Diana Ross & the Supremes - You Keep Me Hanging On.jpg
Diana Ross & the Supremes - You Keep Me Hanging On.jpg (572.15 KiB) Viewed 3994 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 May 2018, 12:23pm
Worst. Hoyston. Opinion. Ever.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2018, 12:32pm
Marky Dread wrote:
It’s so terrible. Like...jaw-droppingly so.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 May 2018, 11:52am
The best Lou Reed live album? maybe my favourite.
It's a cracker for sure - Lou was still singing in his pure sweet nasal tone, no soul man affectations or shouting yet. But they should (might) have put that great interview at the end of the set instead of in between; and the Tots' drummer's cymbals are too bloody loud! (how's that for nit-picking?).

My fave is 'Take No Prisoners'. I've said before: it's waaay beyond just another live document; it works as a stand-alone album, almost a concept-album. The Everyman Band was so locked into Lou's vibe by then that they respond to his every maniacal utterance and cue. Plus the way it was recorded (Binaural sound). I think it's the greatest official live album ever, including James' 'Live At the Apollo', 'Ya-Ya's', 'Live At Leeds' and all the other usual suspects.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
27 May 2018, 8:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
It's a cracker for sure - Lou was still singing in his pure sweet nasal tone, no soul man affectations or shouting yet. But they should (might) have put that great interview at the end of the set instead of in between; and the Tots' drummer's cymbals are too bloody loud! (how's that for nit-picking?).

My fave is 'Take No Prisoners'. I've said before: it's waaay beyond just another live document; it works as a stand-alone album, almost a concept-album. The Everyman Band was so locked into Lou's vibe by then that they respond to his every maniacal utterance and cue. Plus the way it was recorded (Binaural sound). I think it's the greatest official live album ever, including James' 'Live At the Apollo', 'Ya-Ya's', 'Live At Leeds' and all the other usual suspects.
I also think "Take No Prisoners" is a great listen. It's just so different as a live performance. I was listening to my Arista copy only a couple of days back and really digging the whole vibe. Great the bit where he says hi to Bruce who is in the audience. I'm sure it's the only "dummy head recording" I own. Wish a few other "live" albums would try out this way of recording.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 May 2018, 9:11pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I also think "Take No Prisoners" is a great listen. It's just so different as a live performance. I was listening to my Arista copy only a couple of days back and really digging the whole vibe. Great the bit where he says hi to Bruce who is in the audience. I'm sure it's the only "dummy head recording" I own. Wish a few other "live" albums would try out this way of recording.
I actually shop-lifted my vinyl copy of 'Prisoners' the week it was released (not proud). The store (Wax Museum), I was a regular at for a year or so, and despite being a 14 year old punk in a motorcycle jacket I guess no one suspected me after having spent a few hundred dollars there from my paper route and dishwashing gigs over the last year on cool "hip" stuff. I was broke then I guess and after 'Street Hassle' I just had to have his new album (boy was I in for a surprise or 20).

And I always thought during "Sweet Jane" - when he says "Hey, Miami!" - that he was saying hi to Miami Steve Van Zandt, who I thought maybe was at one of the two shows with Bruce. But now I think he was just riffing on Miami (the city): "...here come the condominiums", etc.

And I'm sure you have 'Street Hassle' - partially recorded "dummy-head"/binaural (the live basic tracks from Germany, except for the title track?), and maybe 'The Bells' - completely recorded binaural in Germany. The deep texture and general murkiness and general weirdness of those three albums, I always thought of as Lou's version of Bowie's "Berlin trilogy", for sheer sonic reasons and the odd and playful approach of their respective bands. (perverse funk/R&B from David; perverse R&B/jazz from Lou).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
27 May 2018, 9:57pm
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I actually shop-lifted my vinyl copy of 'Prisoners' the week it was released (not proud). The store (Wax Museum), I was a regular at for a year or so, and despite being a 14 year old punk in a motorcycle jacket I guess no one suspected me after having spent a few hundred dollars there from my paper route and dishwashing gigs over the last year on cool "hip" stuff. I was broke then I guess and after 'Street Hassle' I just had to have his new album (boy was I in for a surprise or 20).

And I always thought during "Sweet Jane" - when he says "Hey, Miami!" - that he was saying hi to Miami Steve Van Zandt, who I thought maybe was at one of the two shows with Bruce. But now I think he was just riffing on Miami (the city): "...here come the condominiums", etc.

And I'm sure you have 'Street Hassle' - partially recorded "dummy-head"/binaural (the live basic tracks from Germany, except for the title track?), and maybe 'The Bells' - completely recorded binaural in Germany. The deep texture and general murkiness and general weirdness of those three albums, I always thought of as Lou's version of Bowie's "Berlin trilogy", for sheer sonic reasons and the odd and playful approach of their respective bands. (perverse funk/R&B from David; perverse R&B/jazz from Lou).
I do have all of Lou's stuff with multiple versions Japan editions etc. However I only own 5 physical CD albums all the rest are downloads. So I didn't realise that Street Hassle & The Bells were binaural. I've had my eye on that nice box set for a while now but as I'm currently not working I won't be buying it any day soon. Still my house goes up for sale next month and then I'm hoping to move to Cornwall for a better quality of life. All my CD's over 5,000 will be in storage for a while (like losing a limb for me) I will then look for a new job which will be strange as I've worked in the same place for 25 years. Still feeling optimistic ...here's to the future still being unwritten. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2018, 12:01am
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I do have all of Lou's stuff with multiple versions Japan editions etc. However I only own 5 physical CD albums all the rest are downloads. So I didn't realise that Street Hassle & The Bells were binaural. I've had my eye on that nice box set for a while now but as I'm currently not working I won't be buying it any day soon. Still my house goes up for sale next month and then I'm hoping to move to Cornwall for a better quality of life. All my CD's over 5,000 will be in storage for a while (like losing a limb for me) I will then look for a new job which will be strange as I've worked in the same place for 25 years. Still feeling optimistic ...here's to the future still being unwritten. ;)
Hey Mark - Yeah that Lou re-master box looks attractive, blah blah blah. And guess what? I'm a long time out of work myself - looking (half-assedley); weighing the option of getting any old manual labour gig and having back surgery (recommended 12 years ago; it's much worse now. Whaaah- poor me :naughty: ). Tell ya mate, something's up with guys and girls our age; and I'm, right now, sending whatever good psychic vibes I can your way, if that stuff even has any real value. So to hell with miserable old Lou's work - what's important in the Universe right now is that Mr. Marky F. Dread be as contended and joyful a mofo as he can be.

btw - isn't Cornwall where they shot the 'Doc Martin' series for BBC? I loved that show and yeah - Cornwall does seem like some sort of magical place (don't tell Heston about it, he may want to move there as well! :mrgreen: ;) ).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
28 May 2018, 12:30am
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Hey Mark - Yeah that Lou re-master box looks attractive, blah blah blah. And guess what? I'm a long time out of work myself - looking (half-assedley); weighing the option of getting any old manual labour gig and having back surgery (recommended 12 years ago; it's much worse now. Whaaah- poor me :naughty: ). Tell ya mate, something's up with guys and girls our age; and I'm, right now, sending whatever good psychic vibes I can your way, if that stuff even has any real value. So to hell with miserable old Lou's work - what's important in the Universe right now is that Mr. Marky F. Dread be as contended and joyful a mofo as he can be.

btw - isn't Cornwall where they shot the 'Doc Martin' series for BBC? I loved that show and yeah - Cornwall does seem like some sort of magical place (don't tell Heston about it, he may want to move there as well! :mrgreen: ;) ).
Yeah feeling the good vibes my man :approve: . They did indeed shoot Doc Martin there it's a bit under 40 miles away from where I intend to move to. Best of luck with that bad back mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

These remasters are about falling in love all over again. Send is still my favourite Wire album because it tacks closest to my aesthetic, but I can't deny that this is their masterpiece. Just so much going on—claustrophobia, anxiety, rosy post-punk pop, intense and loose, loose and intense. 1979 was a helluva year …

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2018, 7:47am
muppet hi fi wrote:
28 May 2018, 12:30am
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah feeling the good vibes my man :approve: . They did indeed shoot Doc Martin there it's a bit under 40 miles away from where I intend to move to. Best of luck with that bad back mate.
For me the best Uncle Lou are the boots from 76-78, blows away anything else. Prisoners is good but it's more of the type of thing I'd rather be in the audience for. The American Poet is good but early Lou with the Tots, good stuff, sounding betting than the Velvets at their last stand. Rock and Roll Animal, well that says it all. After that I really like the New York album live and of course the live duet with Cale songs for Drella. If you have never heard that you should.
d

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 May 2018, 2:32pm
These remasters are about falling in love all over again. Send is still my favourite Wire album because it tacks closest to my aesthetic, but I can't deny that this is their masterpiece. Just so much going on—claustrophobia, anxiety, rosy post-punk pop, intense and loose, loose and intense. 1979 was a helluva year …
This one is my favorite.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
27 May 2018, 3:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2018, 12:32pm
Marky Dread wrote:
It’s so terrible. Like...jaw-droppingly so.
I just shared with B that Hoystonian madness—it came up tangentially—and she kind of yelped like walking in on your parents screwing.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Some Screaming Blue Messiahs,
Attachments
The Screaming Blue Messiahs - Town & Country Club, Kentish Town, London, Feb 27, 1988 [2].jpg
The Screaming Blue Messiahs - Town & Country Club, Kentish Town, London, Feb 27, 1988 [2].jpg (500.97 KiB) Viewed 3868 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia