What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

While I've already asserted my love for "This Tribal Antidote," I'm a bit less enthused by the album as a whole. Or at least as a relative measure. The most obvious comparison in terms of style and energy is the previous release, which I think just sounds better—mixing, production, all that stuff. Things are a bit murkier on Hosannas. A lot of the time, Jaz sounds like he singing in another room. Still, for music that's supposed to sound like a righteous reckoning, it works.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

If I were building up to some kind of grand finale, I would have saved this to the end. It's my favourite KJ album and one of the best goddamned things to be released in this awful decade. I have no problem allowing their first album being more important and influential, but this one, reuniting the original band in almost three decades, feels like a summary of everything they did, except improved based on experience. More varied than the previous two grinding discs—e.g., "European Super State" or "The Raven King"—but not shy about embracing fury and, well, dissent. And I think I'm going to elevate "Here Comes the Singularity" to a 1a status for my favourite KJ song. Anyway, if you've never listened to this before, do so; if you haven't listened to it recently, do so.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

The Rolling Stones, 'Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones' [1972 STP tour] (2017).
Some frequencies are still a bit funky, probably cuz they mixed the original film in quad, but this is still one of the most exciting documents in rock n' roll history.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 10:36pm
The Rolling Stones, 'Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones' [1972 STP tour] (2017).
Some frequencies are still a bit funky, probably cuz they mixed the original film in quad, but this is still one of the most exciting documents in rock n' roll history.
What the hell this isn't Killing Joke! Get out of medulla's thread.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 11:56pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Oh this joke is killing me! :mrgreen:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 12:03am
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Man you really start me up. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 12:06am
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Well that makes me Happy as Dead Flowers, you Bitch. I'd just as soon Rip This Joint but all my posts are In Vain. :twitch:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 12:13am
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 12:06am
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Well that makes me Happy as Dead Flowers, you Bitch. I'd just as soon Rip This Joint but all my posts are In Vain. :twitch:
It's enough to make a dead man come. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I love the Stones, I'm a life long fan, I have all their releases and the From the Vault series is fantastic but in 2017 it's time to hang it up. Some can say the same for Killing Joke, but I really like Absolute Dissent

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I really should like this more. It's not as realized or varied as Absolute Dissent, but it's a solid set of genuinely apocalyptic visions. Maybe that atrocious album cover has tainted my view (I can be enough of a petulant turd that could happen). Anyway, this is nastier than AD, more consistently hard and raw (with the exception of "In Cythera," which wouldn't have been out of place on Brighter …; and "All Hallow's Eve," which is simply pleasant), and fits in with the sound of 21st c KJ. I'll go with "Corporate Elect" as the best song (the line "we all got fooled again" really does feel devastating to me).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A step back to Image in terms of being more varied. I have a hard time being all that descriptive. I mean, it sounds lime 21st c KJ, which is louder, angrier, more feral, more bleak. I still lean to AD, but this is very good stuff.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Last KJ, I promise (I think).
I wasn't aware of this disc until I started my re-listen over a week ago. This is my fourth time digging thru it and can confidently state that it is fucking great. Covering aspects of the first three albums (and non-album songs), it's an excellent overview of the early years made better by the fact that, on the whole, these versions are better than the regular ones. Super highly recommended.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 9:14pm
Last KJ, I promise (I think).
I wasn't aware of this disc until I started my re-listen over a week ago. This is my fourth time digging thru it and can confidently state that it is fucking great. Covering aspects of the first three albums (and non-album songs), it's an excellent overview of the early years made better by the fact that, on the whole, these versions are better than the regular ones. Super highly recommended.
Yep easily the best album of the early years for me. As with virtually every Peel session I've ever heard it's way better than the official release. It's like you get the true sound of the band on a Peel session and maybe because the bands don't get as much time to record the session they go in and bang it out like a gig.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 9:59pm
As with virtually every Peel session I've ever heard it's way better than the official release. It's like you get the true sound of the band on a Peel session and maybe because the bands don't get as much time to record the session they go in and bang it out like a gig.
Anecdotally, yeah, more bands than not sound better under the quick and dirty pressure of a Peel recording. The Fall immediately come to mind. Then again, I'm really not taken with what I think was the second one for Joy Division. Just a godawful version of LWTUA. But when those Peel ep's and then lp's started coming out in the late 80s, it was divine treasure for us mortals.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 10:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 9:59pm
As with virtually every Peel session I've ever heard it's way better than the official release. It's like you get the true sound of the band on a Peel session and maybe because the bands don't get as much time to record the session they go in and bang it out like a gig.
Anecdotally, yeah, more bands than not sound better under the quick and dirty pressure of a Peel recording. The Fall immediately come to mind. Then again, I'm really not taken with what I think was the second one for Joy Division. Just a godawful version of LWTUA. But when those Peel ep's and then lp's started coming out in the late 80s, it was divine treasure for us mortals.
It's a drag that so many of them are OOP and hard to find.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc