What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by muppet hi fi »

tepista wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 5:28pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 10:21pm
Just picked this up at an actual record store. The Rolling Stones, 'On Air' [live at the BBC 1963-65] (2017).
The sound is all over the place, very raw. And it's a beast. Further documentation as to why they were a far better R&B band then any of their contemporaries (Beatles, Kinks, Who, Small Faces, Animals, etc.). And the never recorded cover of Bo Diddley's proto-rap "Cops and Robbers" is hilarious. Jagger was 20, middle class, English, had never been to the US, and he nails the patois of urban black American dudes. How'd he do that???
I'll grab that very soon
Oh you'll dig it, man. Only a couple tracks have the screaming chicks, and they're not too loud (like on 'Got Live If You Want It'); Brian's guitar is often louder than Keef's but you can more fully appreciate what a taut rhythmic force they were back then. And Bill's witty rumble and Charlie's barbaric clatter (hey, the man didn't even know how to play rock n' roll back then!) super charge the whole thing.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

tepista wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 5:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 1:51am

It's fantastic a great version of Gimme Shelter and Southern Man if you dig those backing vocals you will love this album.
"Southern Man" is featured in that 20 Feet From Stardom documentary, it's a killer! Shame she's not the star she deserves
So is Gimme Shelter. I got chills hearing "Rape! Murder!" isolated. That documentary is awesome.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 5:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 1:51am

It's fantastic a great version of Gimme Shelter and Southern Man if you dig those backing vocals you will love this album.
"Southern Man" is featured in that 20 Feet From Stardom documentary, it's a killer! Shame she's not the star she deserves
Agreed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've finally gotten around to listening to Killing Joke's The Gathering, a live set from 2008 that reunited the original band. Honestly, it's no great shakes. As a live act, KJ doesn't do much for me. But, holy christ, as much as we justifiably snigger at much of Joe's corny banter, he was Lincoln compared to Jaz. A few bon mots from between the songs (compiled, thankfully, by Mark Prindle):

"The Empire is bankrupt! The killing must begin."
"I wanna rid you of the burden of knowing that 9/11 was a fucking inside job!"
"Decentralization of government -- they haven't got any money! Banking is forbidden; barter is acceptable."
"It makes you wonder when you're a member of the European Union why we need NATO bases -- why we need American Air Force bases in our country... This country is an occupied country!"
"We use these occasions to expel all the extraneous guilt that we're carrying."
"Bono says that George Bush is the savior of Africa, and America cuts off all the water in Africa!"
"It's called money -- because there isn't any!"
"Between now and 2012, the world will accelerate nine million years."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 12:08pm

"Between now and 2012, the world will accelerate nine million years."
Where is the lie?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Klara Lewis, Too. Sublime abstract, atmospheric constructions. She's the daughter of Wire's Graham Lewis, and knowing that I can see some commonalities with his own electronic abstract pieces. It's good as background noise (no pejorative intended) or something to shut off the lights and intently absorb.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 4:31pm
Klara Lewis, Too. Sublime abstract, atmospheric constructions. She's the daughter of Wire's Graham Lewis, and knowing that I can see some commonalities with his own electronic abstract pieces. It's good as background noise (no pejorative intended) or something to shut off the lights and intently absorb.
I wish I had a child I could force to do music similar to mine.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 9:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wishing won't get you to your goal. Kidnap a child from a playground, slackass!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 9:06pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I've got a lifetime ban, unfortunately. I was trying to harness children to my sleigh to help me travel around town throwing plum pudding at people's heads. It's the most wonderful time of the year.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 1:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I've got a lifetime ban, unfortunately. I was trying to harness children to my sleigh to help me travel around town throwing plum pudding at people's heads. It's the most wonderful time of the year.
Another victim in the War on Christmas. :angry:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 1:51pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Fucking libtards.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Kory wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 2:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 1:51pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Fucking libtards.
BTW listening to this now and it's exactly what I need at this moment.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 6:25pm
Glad to hear it. I had a hunch it might be up your alley. Do you think it sounds at all like dad's electronic stuff, or am I reaching?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 7:22pm
Kory wrote:
Glad to hear it. I had a hunch it might be up your alley. Do you think it sounds at all like dad's electronic stuff, or am I reaching?
I have to say that aside from Hox, I'm actually not super familiar with his solo work. Do you have a particular album you think she is reminiscent of?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 7:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 7:22pm
Kory wrote:
I have to say that aside from Hox, I'm actually not super familiar with his solo work. Do you have a particular album you think she is reminiscent of?
The first Hox album and the first He Said Omala, I think. I can't think of the name right now, but he put out a couple albums a few years ago—the more abstract of those.