What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Nov 2018, 8:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2018, 7:54pm

They're really good. They're everything Phil Collins, Billy Joel, and Wham aren't. You should listen to them.

God what an awful racket...Heston.
Thanks, you saved me writing a review.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 12:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

They're really good. They're everything Phil Collins, Billy Joel, and Wham aren't. You should listen to them.

Im really thinking I should be buying this.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

As recommended on here somewhere, I have bought the first Stone Roses album. Yes, it is rather good. Thanks for the recommendation!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 12:16pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Im really thinking I should be buying this.
Meanwhile, I'll kidnap Heston. The rest pretty much writes itself.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 12:28pm
As recommended on here somewhere, I have bought the first Stone Roses album. Yes, it is rather good. Thanks for the recommendation!
Yep a good listen.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

laxman wrote:
As recommended on here somewhere, I have bought the first Stone Roses album. Yes, itd is rather good. Thanks for the recommendation!
No problem, at least someone appreciates my taste.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Heston wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 12:41pm
laxman wrote:
As recommended on here somewhere, I have bought the first Stone Roses album. Yes, itd is rather good. Thanks for the recommendation!
No problem, at least someone appreciates my taste.
Not enjoying Kiss’ greatest hits quite as much ;)

Actually bought the Hugh Cornwell/John Cooper Clarke CD too. Anything with Johnny Remember Me on it is fine by me.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

laxman wrote:
I think I deserve a large slice of that lemon.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 2:29pm
laxman wrote:
Thank you!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
laxman wrote:
Here have three.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

This.
Attachments
Long Tall Shorty - 1970's Boy.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 3:33pm
101Walterton wrote:
laxman wrote:
Here have three.
Exactly, one each for me, you and Heston to suck on!!

Have to say though that that album is one that is definitely better to be heard in it's intended form as the track list and sequencing works perfectly.
Some albums are just a collection of tracks that can be heard in any order or mixed with other tracks on a comp etc.. but this works best as a standalone album.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 3:52pm
This.
More info please, they look like a band I could get behind.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston, Have at it my dear boy. https://mega.nz/#!zokwGIiY!IgYOy0fynoJz ... yqH1D76ILU

Long Tall Shorty were one of the earliest mod revival bands, formed in August 1978 from the ashes of the punk rock band Ben E Dorm & The Tourists. Initially called The Indicators, the line-up was: Jimmy Grant (bass), Mark Reynolds (drums) and Tony Perfect (guitar/vocals). After Keith Mono joined in October 1978, The Indicators were offered a support slot to Sham 69 at the Electric Ballroom in Camden.

After Sham 69's singer Jimmy Pursey saw Long Tall Shorty for the first time, he invited them to the Polydor Records Studio to record some demos. The tracks "1970's Boy", "Shake" and "New Generation" were recorded live at this first session in February 1979. "1970's Boy" was chosen as the first single. Pursey decided they should change the band's name to Long Tall Shorty, after a song by The Kinks, written by Don Covay and first recorded by Tommy Tucker. Over the next few months, Long Tall Shorty performed at The Wellington, and played slots with Angelic Upstarts, until June 1979 when they played on the pavement in Carnaby Street. This led to a review in the mod fanzine Maximum Speed, and offers of support slots from Back To Zero and The Teenbeats. They added a second guitarist, Stewart England.

"By Your love" was recorded in August 1979 and eventually chosen as the A side of the single. "Falling For you", "Please Can You Tell Me" and "Can't Stop moving" were recorded at Shepperton Studios, Surrey in September 1979. The idea was to have a second single ready for release, but Warner Bros. Records withdrew "By Your love" a few days after its release. In February 1980, following their first headline slot at The Marquee, the original band split up. They had been offered the support slot on The Chords' UK tour, but after the first night in Middlesbrough, they pulled out. Mark Reynolds and Jimmy Grant left and the new line-up was Keith Mono (vocals), Stewart England (guitar), Tony Perfect (bass) and Mike Morrison (drums).

During three days of summer 1980, "That's What I Want", "If I Was You", "I Do" and "All By Myself" were recorded as demos for CBS Records. Another mod fanzine, D.R.C., issued two songs on a flexi disc after the CBS negotiations broke down. The other songs surfaced on the LP The Beat Generation And The Angry Young Men. In December 1980, Mike left the band, followed by Keith the following day. Derwent joined on drums later that month. They had a monthly residency at The Marquee Club. John Kiely joined on bass and Tony Perfect switched back to guitar and vocals. "Win Or Lose"/"Ain't Done wrong" were recorded in Luton and released on Ramkup.

In August 1981, they played at the Reading Festival, accompanied by Eddie Piller, who later wrote a review in his fanzine Extraordinary Sensations of the riot that took place during the brief time they were on stage. There was another riot in Chatham and Long Tall Shorty got banned from The Marquee Club, John left the band mid-gig and Stewart left to join the Foreign Legion. Derwent Jaconelli was on drums and Mark, the roadie, joined on bass in November 1981 but two months later, Tony Perfect left, changed his name to Tony Feedback and joined Angelic Upstarts. The final Long Tall Shorty gig was at the 100 Club on 2 February 1982. 1983 Long Tall Shorty was reborn, Ian Jones on Bass and Derwent Jaconelli on Drums Tony Perfect guitar and lead vocals. 6 months later Steve Moran joined on rhythm guitar. 1984 was the release of On The Streets Again a 3 track single on vinyl. Both Ian and Derwent had a brief time playing with Angelic Upstarts and released Stepping Stone with Steve Moran. Ian and Tony went on to form Joe Public.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia