What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 5:49pm
Marky Dread wrote:
No I've not heard his solo material. Sounds like I need to.
I have some of his CDs... somewhere. If I can remember to find them, I'll upload.
Nice one mate much appreciated.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
No I've not heard his solo material. Sounds like I need to.
I have some of his CDs... somewhere. If I can remember to find them, I'll upload.
He has most of it up on YouTube and BandCamp. He’s supposedly sober and working on a record up in Gloucester.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Random memory firing led me to search this out. I had the cassette way back in the day, but couldn't remember what they sounded like. The pop side of 80s Cure, that's what they sound like. Tho not as good.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Enjoying this.
Attachments
The Beat Feat. Ranking Roger - Bounce.jpg
The Beat Feat. Ranking Roger - Bounce.jpg (575.17 KiB) Viewed 3329 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Some more Moving Targets.
Attachments
Moving Targets - Fall.jpg
Moving Targets - Fall.jpg (1018.49 KiB) Viewed 3316 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dark and nasty and moody, both artists' best qualities working well together.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 12:43pm
Dark and nasty and moody, both artists' best qualities working well together.
I love that album, and that sums it up perfectly.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

The English Beat (featuring Dave Wakeling or however they want to differentiate themselves) - Here we go love. Good. Pop. Ska. While more pop than ska, it's good pop! If you like the English Beat of the 80's, you'll probably like this. The songs aren't as strong, catchy, or special but they're worth a listen.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Arguably their best live album—top three for sure—encompassing two tours covering songs on The Great Annihilator and what would be Soundtracks For the Blind. Loud and intense, but not that kind of torturous assault of the early years. This is more majestic and elevating, akin to what the band sounds like since restarting in 2010. In a way, this isn't a bad intro to the group for the uninitiated.

It contains a far more intense of "I See Them All Lined Up" than on either Gira's Drainland album or Soundtracks. Really ugly, uncomfortable lyrics.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder can have his "Having a Wonderful Christmas Time" and "Silly Love Songs," I'll take this.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 11:00pm
Hello,

The English Beat (featuring Dave Wakeling or however they want to differentiate themselves) - Here we go love. Good. Pop. Ska. While more pop than ska, it's good pop! If you like the English Beat of the 80's, you'll probably like this. The songs aren't as strong, catchy, or special but they're worth a listen.

The album sounds much more like General Public to my ears.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The first post-Swans record that Gira made, I think. Some mean drones and ambient stuff. If Heston thought most of that Swans list I gave him wasn't music, this would send him over the cliff.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

This.

So it's straight to the "Unreleased Mixes & Tracks" (Disc Four)

01. Annalisa ("New Mix") - I'm unimpressed with this mix it sounds flat compared to the mix on "First Issue".
02. Albatross ("Monitor Mix") - Released twice already on the "The Best of £1 Notes" DVD and "Metal Box" box set...it's brilliant.
03. Careering (Unreleased Live Paris 1980) - Excellent live recording from the Paris shows as good as the version on "Paris Au Printemps" from the other night.
04. Banging the Door (Aka The Door) [Alt. Mix] - Brilliant version more heavy with the effects. Two channel effect with Lydon's vocals in one channel. Will play with this track and create an instrumental version.
05. Vampire (Unreleased - Townhouse 1981) Excellent instrumental track and nice to have it in pristeen sound.
06. Nineteen Eighty One (Original Version - Townhouse 1981) - Excellent track and much better than the version on TIWYW...TIWYG.
07. Bad Night (Unreleased Park South 1983) - Great to have one of the Park South tracks finally given an official release. Now let's have the complete "Commercial Zone". Still it at least shut's up all the naysayers who say Lydon will never release these tracks. Spite indeed!
08. Things in E (Ease) [Alt. Laswell mix 1985] - This near 14 min long version is excellent and I much prefer it to the Album version. Previously released on The Album deluxe box set.
09. Can You Feel the Fours [Unreleased Inst. 1987] - Some great percussion but I am not over enamoured with that guitar. It's average. No loss at leaving this in the can.
10. Open & Revolving (Aka Spy Thriller) [Alt. Mix] - Think I prefer this version to the one on "Happy?" it's an OK track nothing more.
11. Kasmir (Inst.) [Unreleased Renovations Mix] - Nice to have this track which I think the band used as intro music for their live shows. Not sure how exactly it's a "Renovations" track other than I guess it was recorded for that project.
12. Cajun (Inst.) [Unreleased Bill Laswell 1988] - Nothing outstanding but quite likeable instrumental.
13. Worry ["Ruff Mix" 1988] - Hmmm OK (ish) I guess.
14. Think Tank ["Outtake" 1991] - Not for me.

So a couple of nice interesting tracks. However what's left well...

The Warner Brothers remakes of those "First Issue" tracks rerecorded in 1979. Of which only "Fodderstompf" (Megga Mix) has ever been released. Also an instrumental called “You Stupid Person” which Jim Walker still claims to have a demo of.
From the "Flowers of Romance" sessions "Woodnymphs" also the two joke throwaway versions of "Twist and Shout" and "Johnny Remember Me".
The complete "Commercial" Zone tracks.
Attachments
51cdKzmrcGL.jpg
51cdKzmrcGL.jpg (50.13 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
Last edited by Marky Dread on 20 Jul 2018, 1:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Uncut Clash.jpg
Uncut Clash.jpg (158.12 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
Just read in the latest Uncut that Roy Carr has died. He compiled the two Clash Uncut tribute CDs,so giving this one a listen. I think the Thea Gilmore cover of I'm Not Down is brilliant, really makes it her own song.

p.s. nice looking boxset there Marky!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

laxman wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 11:36am
Uncut Clash.jpg

Just read in the latest Uncut that Roy Carr has died. He compiled the two Clash Uncut tribute CDs,so giving this one a listen. I think the Thea Gilmore cover of I'm Not Down is brilliant, really makes it her own song.

p.s. nice looking boxset there Marky!
I love that version as well. And I think 101 loves it, too. RIP Roy.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy