What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 1:27pm
Hello,

Various artists - NY Noise; Dance Music from the New York Underground,1978-1982. There's 2 collections with this title. This is the one that starts with Do Dada by the Dance. This collection is pretty good and covers a lot of sounds similar to NY No Wave (Contort Yourself is on both - I think it's on every no wave collection!), and In the Beginning There was Rhythm. The Material track is pretty good. It helps up the appreciation level if you were around during that time and in NY (sorry - that comes across as elitist/artsy/snobby). It's a lot of hit and miss. It's worth listening through at least once as you might come across something you hadn't heard before that sounds good.

All those no wave/mutant disco compilations are choice. Pound for pound, I'll take that stuff over the official punk from NY in that period.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 11:38am
Heston wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 5:48pm
The 14 song KISS playlist I made for Doc in the Challenge Thread a couple of years back. This is a really melodic set of songs covering only the years 1978-81, and I enjoyed hearing them again tonight. People should listen to this, cast aside their prejudices, and imagine they were just a power pop band from the late 70s. It will help if you don't look at the pictures...

I may give this a go later tonight and try to be as objective as I can. Don't expect much, though. I tried to watch that KISS live show the other night and lasted about half a song.
Please report your findings.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 3:19pm
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:
The 14 song KISS playlist I made for Doc in the Challenge Thread a couple of years back. This is a really melodic set of songs covering only the years 1978-81, and I enjoyed hearing them again tonight. People should listen to this, cast aside their prejudices, and imagine they were just a power pop band from the late 70s. It will help if you don't look at the pictures...

I may give this a go later tonight and try to be as objective as I can. Don't expect much, though. I tried to watch that KISS live show the other night and lasted about half a song.
For reference: viewtopic.php?p=460617#p460617
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:

Im familiar with a lot of what are considered the good KISS songs and honestly they are ok at best.

Heston

Post by Heston »

:cry:
revbob wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 6:12pm
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:

Im familiar with a lot of what are considered the good KISS songs and honestly they are ok at best.
Yes but a lot of the KISS songs I like are often the ones that aren't considered good. Like half of Simmons' solo album.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Here's a new Elvis Costello single:

A different sound for Elvis - but then, what else would you (un)expect?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 6:17pm
:cry:
revbob wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 6:12pm
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yes but a lot of the KISS songs I like are often the ones that aren't considered good. Like half of Simmons' solo album.
Can't do nothin for ya man.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:

Well I kinda dug the first song, reminded me of Garland Jeffreys for some reason. The rest was pretty atrocious, especially the solo stuff. I thought the Stones cover was good, though.

And God, they're eclectic.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 3:20pm
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:

For reference: viewtopic.php?p=460617#p460617
That was hilarious.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Olaf wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 7:17pm
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:

Well I kinda dug the first song, reminded me of Garland Jeffreys for some reason. The rest was pretty atrocious, especially the solo stuff. I thought the Stones cover was good, though.

That smacks of praise bucko.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

revbob wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 7:19pm
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:

That smacks of praise bucko.
It's not how I meant it.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

"Eklektisch" is certainly not a praise in German. Unoriginal is what I mean.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Olaf wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 7:33pm
"Eklektisch" is certainly not a praise in German. Unoriginal is what I mean.
That makes sense

Heston

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:

I don't know how anyone can call "See You Tonite" atrocious. Same with Mr Make Believe. Two absolutely beautiful and heart wrenching songs.

Heston

Post by Heston »

And yeah, the Stones cover is brilliant, easily better than the pretty solid original.