What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by revbob »

I never got, nor have I given to my kids an allowance. I did snow shoveling, grass cutting, leaf raking and newspaper delivery for money. I spent a lot of what I earned on music and later beer and such. Kids not having the option of delivering newspapers sucks. But they also don't buy music.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2019, 11:44am
Marky Dread wrote:
25 May 2019, 11:21am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2019, 11:12am
Marky Dread wrote:
25 May 2019, 10:58am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2019, 7:58am

It was odd growing up because my much older siblings, who'd all moved out by then, thought I was spoiled because my parents were now more prosperous, which meant I got a bigger allowance. But my friends all had more toys and better clothes than me because my parents, having come from rough circumstances, refused to be that extravagant. So I was spoiled but not spoiled.
An allowance we called pocket money. I got 50p when I was 12 and thought it was the best thing ever. Just save for two weeks and I could get a least 1 7" single.
I don't remember how much I got—tho I know friends got considerably more—but it was usually enough to cover my comics each week plus candy. By the time I got into music, I had a paper route.
I do remember getting the early PotA mags around '75 . Strange they were the last thing I cared about before I got into punk.
I've dl'd scans of most (all?) of them, if you're interested in reliving your pre-punk existence.
Thanks for the offer but I've got a DVD with all the PotA mags and annuals.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 May 2019, 12:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
25 May 2019, 10:58am

An allowance we called pocket money. I got 50p when I was 12 and thought it was the best thing ever. Just save for two weeks and I could get a least 1 7" single.
I don't remember how much I got—tho I know friends got considerably more—but it was usually enough to cover my comics each week plus candy. By the time I got into music, I had a paper route.
I do remember getting the early PotA mags around '75 . Strange they were the last thing I cared about before I got into punk.
I've dl'd scans of most (all?) of them, if you're interested in reliving your pre-punk existence.
Well, then, death to humans!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2019, 12:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 May 2019, 12:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Well, then, death to humans!
The only good human is a dead human!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

Jeans is a harsh mistress. I remember the popularity (in some subcultures) of Jncos. I never bought them but my older brother did. He was deep into Jncos and Nu metal. He told me he quit wearing them after his first day of college. He had huge legged Jncos and wore a giant wallet chain. Entertaining a class late, the chain got hooked on a desk and he noisily dragged it through the classroom. He never wore either item again.

I'm so punk, I don't even take my leather jacket off when it catches fire. Which it does frequently, because of how fucking punk I am.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Jncos are back baby! https://jnco.com/

I went through a very brief phase with some jncos (got the most conservative style I could find, as I recall). Middle school. Kids maing fun of me for wearing off-brand clothing. Begged my mom to buy me some jncos so they'd leave me alone (and maybe even be impressed!). Finally got them. Was immediately harassed for wearing Jncos jeans from the same kids. Learned an important lesson or two there.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
25 May 2019, 11:57am
I never got, nor have I given to my kids an allowance. I did snow shoveling, grass cutting, leaf raking and newspaper delivery for money. I spent a lot of what I earned on music and later beer and such. Kids not having the option of delivering newspapers sucks. But they also don't buy music.
I had to work for my 50p also. Wash the car wash the Windows dig the garden cut the grass. Everything had a price.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 May 2019, 2:20pm
revbob wrote:
I had to work for my 50p also. Wash the car wash the Windows dig the garden cut the grass. Everything had a price.
I remember reading some parenting expert argue that kids shouldn't be paid for their chores. They should understand that work around the household is the responsibility that goes along with being part of the family, not something for monetary gain, which, in theory, they could decline. There's some merit to the notion, tho I'm not sure I'd go all the way with that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2019, 2:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
I remember reading some parenting expert argue that kids shouldn't be paid for their chores. They should understand that work around the household is the responsibility that goes along with being part of the family, not something for monetary gain,

which, in theory, they could decline. There's some merit to the notion, tho I'm not sure I'd go all the way with that.
Oh yeah. I had to do yard work and shovel snow for other people to get money. It was expected that my brother and or I did these things around our house. Declining was NOT an option.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
I remember reading some parenting expert argue that kids shouldn't be paid for their chores. They should understand that work around the household is the responsibility that goes along with being part of the family, not something for monetary gain, which, in theory, they could decline. There's some merit to the notion, tho I'm not sure I'd go all the way with that.
Yeah I think that's correct mate that everyone should muck in and do their bit. Nothing wrong with a small incentive though. It wasn't exactly a kings ransom I was getting.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 May 2019, 4:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Yeah I think that's correct mate that everyone should muck in and do their bit. Nothing wrong with a small incentive though. It wasn't exactly a kings ransom I was getting.
Yeah, I don't see the wisdom of completely separating some payment from chores.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2019, 4:08pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
It has kinda backfired on me as I did that with 25.25W and now he thinks everything should have a price $$

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
25 May 2019, 5:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It has kinda backfired on me as I did that with 25.25W and now he thinks everything should have a price $$
Ha this reminds me when my eldest boy first asked me for pocket money. I said you'll get exactlty what I got a your age and I gave him 50p. He just looked at me with disgust and said I've got more than that in my pocket already. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 May 2019, 6:38pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Ha this reminds me when my eldest boy first asked me for pocket money. I said you'll get exactlty what I got a your age and I gave him 50p. He just looked at me with disgust and said I've got more than that in my pocket already. :mrgreen:
You didn't adjust for inflation?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
25 May 2019, 6:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 May 2019, 6:38pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

You didn't adjust for inflation?
I don't believe in inflation. If i'd factored in inflation he would've had to paint the house continually for 6 months. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia