What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
05 Sep 2019, 11:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Sep 2019, 2:27pm
Just listened to the new Pixies album and can report, my friends, that it is not good. This is been the most "Frank Black"-like record they've done. None of the old Pixies charm anywhere.
I liked Frank Black's solo work and the Catholics stuff. I found it weird that he seemed to just stop making music in favor of touring endlessly with this Pixies cabaret. From 2004 on he seemed to just stop recording anything, until... this crap. All three records since the reformation have been boring as hell. You wonder what happened.
Yep I agree with this.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Just listened to the new Pixies album and can report, my friends, that it is not good. This is been the most "Frank Black"-like record they've done. None of the old Pixies charm anywhere.
I liked Frank Black's solo work and the Catholics stuff. I found it weird that he seemed to just stop making music in favor of touring endlessly with this Pixies cabaret. From 2004 on he seemed to just stop recording anything, until... this crap. All three records since the reformation have been boring as hell. You wonder what happened.
I mostly like the Indie Cindy stuff—it sounds like old Pixies to my ears. The last record had a few good songs, but, it would seem, was largely a preview for this record. Somebody's buying it, tho. Probably these damned avocado toast kids.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sometimes I Wonder: The Psychedelic Pop Sound of President.

Some great pop/psych nuggets from the home of The Equals.
Attachments
61qm8Hlt3sL._SL1500_.jpg
61qm8Hlt3sL._SL1500_.jpg (105.46 KiB) Viewed 2226 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 6:05am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I mostly like the Indie Cindy stuff—it sounds like old Pixies to my ears. The last record had a few good songs, but, it would seem, was largely a preview for this record. Somebody's buying it, tho. Probably these damned avocado toast kids.
People buy music?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 1:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 6:05am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
People buy music?
When I taught my rock class, I always got the impression that students were way more honest than me when it came to pirating. Maybe they just didn't want to be honest to me or classmates, but it was like one would admit that their record collection was mostly thieved.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Swans doing their Nick Cave impression?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

IkarisOne wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 12:35am

Heh. I read someone say he's fully committing to his Jim Morrison worship. It might be the female voices sounding very Jarboe-like, but it gave me a bit of [i[Children of God[/i] vibe. But it does suggest a step away from the last decade's style.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 7:10am
IkarisOne wrote:

Heh. I read someone say he's fully committing to his Jim Morrison worship. It might be the female voices sounding very Jarboe-like, but it gave me a bit of [i[Children of God[/i] vibe. But it does suggest a step away from the last decade's style.

For some bizarre reason I also got a faint Pogues-Kirsty MacColl vibe off that as well, only more Badalamenti scoring Lynch adapting Jim Thompson or something. I'm just grateful Gira isn't resting on his laurels.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

IkarisOne wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 12:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

For some bizarre reason I also got a faint Pogues-Kirsty MacColl vibe off that as well, only more Badalamenti scoring Lynch adapting Jim Thompson or something. I'm just grateful Gira isn't resting on his laurels.
There's also a certain step again towards his Angels of Light stuff, uplifting and sincere. One thing that I appreciate about Gira is that he has a restlessness about him. I didn't know what to expect of the new album, but I knew, once he said he was ending the previous incarnation of the band, it wouldn't be the kind of noise-blues since restarting Swans. The strangest thing for me is that he's pretty limited as a musician and songwriter. He coaxes out a lot of variety and intensity from real simplicity.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 12:44pm
IkarisOne wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

There's also a certain step again towards his Angels of Light stuff, uplifting and sincere. One thing that I appreciate about Gira is that he has a restlessness about him. I didn't know what to expect of the new album, but I knew, once he said he was ending the previous incarnation of the band, it wouldn't be the kind of noise-blues since restarting Swans. The strangest thing for me is that he's pretty limited as a musician and songwriter. He coaxes out a lot of variety and intensity from real simplicity.

It's the attention paid to texture and atmosphere.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

IkarisOne wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 2:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 12:44pm
IkarisOne wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

It's the attention paid to texture and atmosphere.
Right. Soundtracks For the Blind is the usual reference point for Swans and texture, but more interesting to me is the record he and Jarboe (and others) made afterwards under the name The Body Lovers / The Body Haters, which is made up of long drones and samples.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Alex and I have found the first song we both like. It's been 5 years but we've finally found something to finally agree on musically.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

This fabulous new EP by two of my musical heroes.
Attachments
planetengland.png
planetengland.png (549.03 KiB) Viewed 2116 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 9:09am
No lead vocal from Andy?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 9:33am
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 9:09am
No lead vocal from Andy?
Track 3 "Got Me..." has a joint vocal. The rest have lead vocals from Robyn with Andy singing various back ups.

The tracks remind me of the 2nd Dukes album and Nonsuch.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia