What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Flex »

According to the weirdos on the Steve Hoffman boards, a lot of them swear by the first Japanese pressings of the Clash's cds (and the dynamic range database would bear that out) - although in fairness the recent remasters I generally regarded quite highly too.

Probably the album I have the most experience with different pressings, masters, etc. is Pet Sounds and I'll admit the best vs worst pressings of it that I've heard makes a not-insignificant difference in the listening experience.

The only album that was a truly unbearable listen to me was the original duophonic mix of the Beach Boys' Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!). A lot of those original Beach Boys pressings are rather famously shitty, and the duophonic mix is literally unlistenable.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 2:00pm
According to the weirdos on the Steve Hoffman boards, a lot of them swear by the first Japanese pressings of the Clash's cds (and the dynamic range database would bear that out) - although in fairness the recent remasters I generally regarded quite highly too.

Probably the album I have the most experience with different pressings, masters, etc. is Pet Sounds and I'll admit the best vs worst pressings of it that I've heard makes a not-insignificant difference in the listening experience.

The only album that was a truly unbearable listen to me was the original duophonic mix of the Beach Boys' Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!). A lot of those original Beach Boys pressings are rather famously shitty, and the duophonic mix is literally unlistenable.
Japanese edition of nearly all cds are considered the best version. They have great tech and take more care and detail than most others. For reissues I love what Sundaze Easy Action produce. Small labels that go the extra mile amaze me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 8:20am
The only Stones remaster I hadn't bought until now. Just had a download which I don't think I ever played due to having the original CD. Jeez this sounds so damn good.
If you don't have it, you should really get the 2015 deluxe version, mate. It's essential. The oft-booted version of "Brown Sugar" - recorded live at Keef's 26th birthday party is slamming - Keefs vocals are so loud it almost amounts to a duet; they considered releasing it as the single version. "Bitch", "Dead Flowers" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" are all excellent alternate takes. "Wild Horses" is just an early stripped down mix with a an alternate vocal. And the five tracks from the Roundhouse 1971 are far punchier performances and sound than the famous boot 'Get Your Leeds Lungs Out' from the same UK tour. The original album is the same mastering as the 2009 version.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 3:20pm
Marky Dread wrote:
The only Stones remaster I hadn't bought until now. Just had a download which I don't think I ever played due to having the original CD. Jeez this sounds so damn good.
If you don't have it, you should really get the 2015 deluxe version, mate. It's essential. The oft-booted version of "Brown Sugar" - recorded live at Keef's 26th birthday party is slamming - Keefs vocals are so loud it almost amounts to a duet; they considered releasing it as the single version. "Bitch", "Dead Flowers" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" are all excellent alternate takes. "Wild Horses" is just an early stripped down mix with a an alternate vocal. And the five tracks from the Roundhouse 1971 are far punchier performances and sound than the famous boot 'Get Your Leeds Lungs Out' from the same UK tour. The original album is the same mastering as the 2009 version.
In that case then I will.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 3:27pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 3:20pm
Marky Dread wrote:
In that case then I will.
I second the recommendation.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

One of the best of the I.R.S. years. [/hoy] :shifty:

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

'Meditations', John Coltrane Quartet (plus Pharoah Sanders on tenor & Rashied Ali on drums). (1966)
Massive sheets of sound here, very involving as a soundtrack to tai chi practice: focusing on one tends to illuminate the other (for me at least).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 6:14pm
'Meditations', John Coltrane Quartet (plus Pharoah Sanders on tenor & Rashied Ali on drums). (1966)
Massive sheets of sound here, very involving as a soundtrack to tai chi practice: focusing on one tends to illuminate the other (for me at least).
Tai Chi... man I can barely tai these strong shoes.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 6:31pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 6:14pm
Tai Chi... man I can barely tai these strong shoes.
:lol: You should check into it, mate. Tai chi chih is a very relaxed and short style, not as vigorous as the more common tai chi chaun. Helps the head (I'm prone to pretty severe anxiety and depression) and has great physical benefits too (could be helpful for your gout, mate). But you might not want to listen to this particular 'Trane album while practicing as it's super noisy and intense, but I'm weird like that - loud noisy intense music calms me down and mellow stuff makes me nervous :twitch:

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Stars & Stripes - Shaved For Battle (1989)

Fuckin' stupid as hell street punk from the then-current iteration of Slapshot. Mostly a joke record, but with a few "serious" songs on it too. Fuckin' great. Production is way better than the stuff this was inspired by (Last Resort, 4-Skins, etc.) with more musicianship and bite. Anyways, this is usually what I play to start getting primed for America's Birthday. STREET KIDS STREET KIDS STREET KIDS
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Citizen Fish like ska-punk from back in the 90s.

Edit... the internet is broken

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Lots of CCR. Mostly Green River and Willie and the Poor Boys, though pretty much the whole catalogue has been in play.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 7:00pm
Lots of CCR. Mostly Green River and Willie and the Poor Boys, though pretty much the whole catalogue has been in play.
Any list of top ten songs of the 60s that doesn't include "Fortunate Son" is, by definition, flawed. It's a better class warfare song than the efforts of thousands of punk bands that followed.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
Killer band.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 7:49pm
Wolter wrote:
Killer band.
Indeed not liking CCR is incomprehensible.