What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 11:02am
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 10:56am
Olaf wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 10:39am
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 10:08am
Crrently listening to this that I picked up earlier today. A bit rougher sounding than "Stage" (not much) but a much better listen in my opinion. Nicely priced and packaged 2 disc set of two nights from the Earls Court gigs. Fantastic and essential.
Adrian Bellew on guitar is superb.
Heh, I was just pondering over buying that one.
Get it mate you won't regret it. It's simply awesome.
If not I know where to get my money back. ;)

Mind you, it does look like he's doing a Hitler salute there.
No he isn't he's just resting on the mike stand.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Crrently listening to this that I picked up earlier today. A bit rougher sounding than "Stage" (not much) but a much better listen in my opinion. Nicely priced and packaged 2 disc set of two nights from the Earls Court gigs. Fantastic and essential.
Well if you don't like it you can send it to me and I'll send you a can of sausage instead.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 11:45am
Olaf wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Mind you, it does look like he's doing a Hitler salute there.
No he isn't he's just resting on the mike stand.
Well the raccoons will be disappointed.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Great songs, great arrangements, great voice. Beautiful. The only slight complaint I have is that sometimes the fadeout comes a little abruptly.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Olaf wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 9:38am

Great songs, great arrangements, great voice. Beautiful. The only slight complaint I have is that sometimes the fadeout comes a little abruptly.
My dad was an engineer for Harley Davidson and they used to do most of their testing down in Alabama at Talladega. There was apparently a restaurant near the track that was famous for their chicken sandwiches and they used to eat there a lot. One day, upon back the rental car out after lunch - my dad came within a few inches of backing over Waylon Jennings - who had stopped with his touring entourage to eat.

Anyway...that particular Waylon record is pretty darned good!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

chruch.jpg
chruch.jpg (12.5 KiB) Viewed 2471 times
I always seem to come back to this recording. Sparse, haunting...recorded when Kilbey was getting clean. Great stuff. Great band.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 9:08am
Olaf wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 9:38am

My dad was an engineer for Harley Davidson and they used to do most of their testing down in Alabama at Talladega. There was apparently a restaurant near the track that was famous for their chicken sandwiches and they used to eat there a lot. One day, upon back the rental car out after lunch - my dad came within a few inches of backing over Waylon Jennings -
Well I'm glad it didn't happen - though I prefer his earlier stuff anyway. ;)

Love that story, WK!

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 9:11am
chruch.jpg

I always seem to come back to this recording. Sparse, haunting...recorded when Kilbey was getting clean. Great stuff. Great band.
Love their first two LPs, but don't know much about their later output. This looks like a good place to start.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've been on a bit of an Interpol kick of late, semi-rediscovering them. This is Paul Banks second solo album, a fairly smooth affair. There's something that sounds damaged or vulnerable in his voice that keeps me attentive. If you hate Interpol, tho, this won't change your mind.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 1:33pm
I've been on a bit of an Interpol kick of late, semi-rediscovering them. This is Paul Banks second solo album, a fairly smooth affair. There's something that sounds damaged or vulnerable in his voice that keeps me attentive. If you hate Interpol, tho, this won't change your mind.
I'm quite a fan—the new album is out in a couple weeks I think.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 1:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That's what got me back in that headspace (plus "Games For Days" was already rattling about).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 1:42pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That's what got me back in that headspace (plus "Games For Days" was already rattling about).
Are you one of those that laments the loss of Carlos, or are you one of those that think he wasn't as integral to their sound as people like to pretend?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 1:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Are you one of those that laments the loss of Carlos, or are you one of those that think he wasn't as integral to their sound as people like to pretend?
I'm not enough of a fan to have an opinion either way. I can't say I've really listened much to the last couple albums, but I don't think that qualifies as an endorsement of his role. But, I suppose, when I think of Interpol, it's Banks' voice and the guitar that comes most to mind.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 1:56pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm not enough of a fan to have an opinion either way. I can't say I've really listened much to the last couple albums, but I don't think that qualifies as an endorsement of his role. But, I suppose, when I think of Interpol, it's Banks' voice and the guitar that comes most to mind.
I've listened to all the new stuff, and I can tell you that you're correct. He was a cool bass player no doubt, but totally non-essential in my opinion. People just fear change.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 2:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 1:56pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I've listened to all the new stuff, and I can tell you that you're correct. He was a cool bass player no doubt, but totally non-essential in my opinion. People just fear change.
Yay! Me dumb but sometimes me smart!