What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Early 90s compilation of various alt or indie musicians doing mostly short guitar pieces.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 3:42pm
Kory wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 3:13pm
I'd be interested in knowing how big a band like, say, Delta 5 was at the time though. I mean, even somebody like Go4 wasn't that big, were they? They only gained their "fame" over the course of decades from word of mouth and new people coming along and picking them up. Delta 5 (I assume) was a tiny-ish band, but now we have a really nice collection of their sessions. How much is marketing/making it worth now in this age of information?
Yeah, there is that question, too, of how we define "big" bands versus "small." Dead Kennedys were never big in the context of overall rock. Nor were the Pistols or Clash. Just spit-ballin', but maybe you use a quant argument and go by whether a band released a full album and how many copies were pressed. Any group signed to a major or had national distribution is out. No methodology would ever be fully satisfying—there'd always be exceptions—but that'd be a start.
Somewhat relevant to the above convo, and also of interest to Cocteau Twins fans: http://bellaunion.com/artists/the-drowning-craze/
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
01 May 2018, 7:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I'd be interested in knowing how big a band like, say, Delta 5 was at the time though. I mean, even somebody like Go4 wasn't that big, were they? They only gained their "fame" over the course of decades from word of mouth and new people coming along and picking them up. Delta 5 (I assume) was a tiny-ish band, but now we have a really nice collection of their sessions. How much is marketing/making it worth now in this age of information?
Yeah, there is that question, too, of how we define "big" bands versus "small." Dead Kennedys were never big in the context of overall rock. Nor were the Pistols or Clash. Just spit-ballin', but maybe you use a quant argument and go by whether a band released a full album and how many copies were pressed. Any group signed to a major or had national distribution is out. No methodology would ever be fully satisfying—there'd always be exceptions—but that'd be a start.
Somewhat relevant to the above convo, and also of interest to Cocteau Twins fans: http://bellaunion.com/artists/the-drowning-craze/
What a perfect post-punk, early 80s band name. I love hearing about this slightly-better-than-unknown bands whose members then went on to more notable bands. These people just move on from group to group and then something—personnel, the times, a sympathetic dj—clicks. That's something that I found intriguing about that book about DC punk, the constant recombination of individuals into different bands, that willingness to embrace fluidity.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 May 2018, 8:24pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
What a perfect post-punk, early 80s band name. I love hearing about this slightly-better-than-unknown bands whose members then went on to more notable bands. These people just move on from group to group and then something—personnel, the times, a sympathetic dj—clicks. That's something that I found intriguing about that book about DC punk, the constant recombination of individuals into different bands, that willingness to embrace fluidity.
I used to own their 3 singles. They were OK (ish). The best track for me is this one.

The other two :

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 May 2018, 8:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I used to own their 3 singles. They were OK (ish). The best track for me is this one.

The other two :

Wow, almost a parody of Factory-style post-punk. Reminded me a bit of a minor Factory band, Tunnel Vision. None of that's bad, only it suggests style becoming formula.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2018, 7:41pm
Is this the Soul Jazz one? I remember that being really good.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Liquid Liquid - Slip in and out of the phenomenon. Rhythm. Nothing. Else. Feeding of the No Wave talk, this is pretty good if you're in the mood for very catchy rhythms and lots of percussion. It's really good for working out - not much to hum along to, but catchy none-the-less.

(I have no idea behind the rationale for the video's footage).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
05 May 2018, 10:30pm
Nope, this is from a French label. There are three no wave comps that I can think of: this one, No New York, and New York Noise. If you know of another one, please let me know. Odds are the songs all overlap, but it'd still be good to know.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 May 2018, 6:30am
Wolter wrote:
Nope, this is from a French label. There are three no wave comps that I can think of: this one, No New York, and New York Noise. If you know of another one, please let me know. Odds are the songs all overlap, but it'd still be good to know.
I checked. New York Noise is the Soul Jazz one.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
06 May 2018, 7:16am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 May 2018, 6:30am
Wolter wrote:
I checked. New York Noise is the Soul Jazz one.
All three volumes of that are superb. Just beautiful chaos.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Listening to that no wave comp above attracted my attention this time to Lizzy Mercier Descloux. Really fun and quirky mixture of disco-funk and, on the Rosa Yemen ep, no wave. Very compelling looking, too.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 May 2018, 9:41am
Listening to that no wave comp above attracted my attention this time to Lizzy Mercier Descloux. Really fun and quirky mixture of disco-funk and, on the Rosa Yemen ep, no wave. Very compelling looking, too.

Ha, that's a cover of Crazy World of Arthur Brown!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
08 May 2018, 12:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 May 2018, 9:41am

Ha, that's a cover of Crazy World of Arthur Brown!
She also covers “Fever,” but re-written as “Tumour.” Crazy Frenchies.

edit: Here's the ep. I am totally entranced by it.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Pete Frame’s London SS family tree is a great example.