What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 75296
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 27 Sep 2017, 3:57pm

Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:56pm
101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:51pm
Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:10pm
I was watching/listening to the 2 Tone concert doc Dance Craze and remembering how much I don't like Bad Manners. It's like they wanted to out-Madness Madness.
I was never a big fan and know what you mean. When they concentrated on the music they were a good band. That Inner London Violence track on Dance Craze soundtrack is a good example.
I'm not really a fan of humor in music at the best of times (Fishbone being a rare example), so they really rub me the wrong way. Plus all their branding looks like a 6 year old was in charge.
See: Barenaked Ladies.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8563
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kory » 27 Sep 2017, 4:00pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:57pm
Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:56pm
101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:51pm
Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:10pm
I was watching/listening to the 2 Tone concert doc Dance Craze and remembering how much I don't like Bad Manners. It's like they wanted to out-Madness Madness.
I was never a big fan and know what you mean. When they concentrated on the music they were a good band. That Inner London Violence track on Dance Craze soundtrack is a good example.
I'm not really a fan of humor in music at the best of times (Fishbone being a rare example), so they really rub me the wrong way. Plus all their branding looks like a 6 year old was in charge.
See: Barenaked Ladies.
Word. Bowling for Soup, Blink 182, etc etc.

I do like Nofx though, but wayyyyyyyyy more when they're being serious.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 15762
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by 101Walterton » 27 Sep 2017, 4:33pm

Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:56pm
101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:51pm
Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:10pm
I was watching/listening to the 2 Tone concert doc Dance Craze and remembering how much I don't like Bad Manners. It's like they wanted to out-Madness Madness.
I was never a big fan and know what you mean. When they concentrated on the music they were a good band. That Inner London Violence track on Dance Craze soundtrack is a good example.
I'm not really a fan of humor in music at the best of times (Fishbone being a rare example), so they really rub me the wrong way. Plus all their branding looks like a 6 year old was in charge.
Madness and Ian Dury both do it brilliantly.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 27458
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Heston » 27 Sep 2017, 5:20pm

Wolter wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 10:56pm
Okay, fine.

Image

Fucking sublime 70s Long Island bubblegum power pop with just a dash of glammy guitar.
Heard some of the album on YouTube, not bad at all.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50114
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Wolter » 27 Sep 2017, 7:48pm

Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 4:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:57pm
Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:56pm
101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:51pm
Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:10pm
I was watching/listening to the 2 Tone concert doc Dance Craze and remembering how much I don't like Bad Manners. It's like they wanted to out-Madness Madness.
I was never a big fan and know what you mean. When they concentrated on the music they were a good band. That Inner London Violence track on Dance Craze soundtrack is a good example.
I'm not really a fan of humor in music at the best of times (Fishbone being a rare example), so they really rub me the wrong way. Plus all their branding looks like a 6 year old was in charge.
See: Barenaked Ladies.
Word. Bowling for Soup, Blink 182, etc etc.

I do like Nofx though, but wayyyyyyyyy more when they're being serious.
Doesn't "NOFX, but serious" just describe Propagandhi?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50114
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Wolter » 27 Sep 2017, 7:49pm

Heston wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 5:20pm
Wolter wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 10:56pm
Okay, fine.

Image

Fucking sublime 70s Long Island bubblegum power pop with just a dash of glammy guitar.
Heard some of the album on YouTube, not bad at all.
I suspected you might enjoy them.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8563
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kory » 27 Sep 2017, 8:14pm

Wolter wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 7:48pm
Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 4:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:57pm
Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:56pm
101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:51pm


I was never a big fan and know what you mean. When they concentrated on the music they were a good band. That Inner London Violence track on Dance Craze soundtrack is a good example.
I'm not really a fan of humor in music at the best of times (Fishbone being a rare example), so they really rub me the wrong way. Plus all their branding looks like a 6 year old was in charge.
See: Barenaked Ladies.
Word. Bowling for Soup, Blink 182, etc etc.

I do like Nofx though, but wayyyyyyyyy more when they're being serious.
Doesn't "NOFX, but serious" just describe Propagandhi?
Also a decent band.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50114
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Wolter » 27 Sep 2017, 8:47pm

Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 8:14pm
Wolter wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 7:48pm
Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 4:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:57pm
Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:56pm


I'm not really a fan of humor in music at the best of times (Fishbone being a rare example), so they really rub me the wrong way. Plus all their branding looks like a 6 year old was in charge.
See: Barenaked Ladies.
Word. Bowling for Soup, Blink 182, etc etc.

I do like Nofx though, but wayyyyyyyyy more when they're being serious.
Doesn't "NOFX, but serious" just describe Propagandhi?
Also a decent band.
Indeed. I just remember the first time I heard them, I thought "hey, it's NOFX, but anarchists."
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8563
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kory » 28 Sep 2017, 1:21pm

Wolter wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 8:47pm
Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 8:14pm
Wolter wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 7:48pm
Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 4:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 3:57pm


See: Barenaked Ladies.
Word. Bowling for Soup, Blink 182, etc etc.

I do like Nofx though, but wayyyyyyyyy more when they're being serious.
Doesn't "NOFX, but serious" just describe Propagandhi?
Also a decent band.
Indeed. I just remember the first time I heard them, I thought "hey, it's NOFX, but anarchists."
From Winnipeg, no less. Canada finally had something to be proud of.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 75296
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 28 Sep 2017, 1:43pm

Kory wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 1:21pm
Wolter wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 8:47pm
Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 8:14pm
Wolter wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 7:48pm
Kory wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 4:00pm


Word. Bowling for Soup, Blink 182, etc etc.

I do like Nofx though, but wayyyyyyyyy more when they're being serious.
Doesn't "NOFX, but serious" just describe Propagandhi?
Also a decent band.
Indeed. I just remember the first time I heard them, I thought "hey, it's NOFX, but anarchists."
From Winnipeg, no less. Canada finally had something to be proud of.
*snort* Loserpeg.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13428
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Silent Majority » 28 Sep 2017, 5:46pm

There's a time and a place for Bad Manners.
Not teargas nor baton charge
That stops you taking the city


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4692
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by muppet hi fi » 28 Sep 2017, 5:54pm

Tom Waits, 'Nighthawks at the Diner', 1975.
I been up for 24 hours packing up for crunch week, alcohol my my only companion to fight off the fear and loneliness. This helped me out.
Image
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8563
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kory » 28 Sep 2017, 7:59pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 5:54pm
Tom Waits, 'Nighthawks at the Diner', 1975.
I been up for 24 hours packing up for crunch week, alcohol my my only companion to fight off the fear and loneliness. This helped me out.
Image
I've tried a few times but his voice seems so forced and comical to me. Can you recommend a good starting point for the skeptical ear?
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 75296
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 28 Sep 2017, 8:20pm

Image
Dutch sound collage artist and one of my favourite albums of the past twenty years. Kind of lounge jazzy, kind of 60s pop, but not really either. Anyway, something to really listen to. Really.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 37260
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread » 28 Sep 2017, 9:18pm

Kory wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 7:59pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 5:54pm
Tom Waits, 'Nighthawks at the Diner', 1975.
I been up for 24 hours packing up for crunch week, alcohol my my only companion to fight off the fear and loneliness. This helped me out.
Image
I've tried a few times but his voice seems so forced and comical to me. Can you recommend a good starting point for the skeptical ear?
You might like to start here Kory. It's where I jumped in and it took a couple of plays before I really appreciated what a terrific writer he is.

Image
"NIBBLED TO DEATH BY AN OKAPI"

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests