What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread »

Underrated album.
Attachments
Ramones - Halfway To Sanity.jpg
Ramones - Halfway To Sanity.jpg (406.26 KiB) Viewed 2031 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I still find the lyrics goth-corny—mopey crap that I found significant when I was 17—but I like the prominent and busy percussion.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2018, 8:54am
I still find the lyrics goth-corny—mopey crap that I found significant when I was 17—but I like the prominent and busy percussion.
Anyone who doesn't like "The Hanging Garden" can go swing from a tree.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 May 2018, 10:48am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I do like the title track a great deal. Reminds me of the more normal-sounding pieces from the 3rd Dome record.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 May 2018, 7:41am
Underrated album.
The whole A side of that album rules. I Wanna Live, Garden of Serenity, Go Lil' Camaro Go, etc.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
09 May 2018, 11:05am
Marky Dread wrote:
Underrated album.
The whole A side of that album rules. I Wanna Live, Garden of Serenity, Go Lil' Camaro Go, etc.
Agreed. Had not played it in an age. But was struck at just how good it is when I dug it out this morning. Only small gripe would be that it needs remastering as with the other Beggars Banquet album "Animal Boy".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2018, 11:01am
Marky Dread wrote:
09 May 2018, 10:48am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I do like the title track a great deal. Reminds me of the more normal-sounding pieces from the 3rd Dome record.
Lots to like on that album for me. I hear that Dome similarity also.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 May 2018, 11:15am
Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Underrated album.
Agreed. Had not played it in an age. But was struck at just how good it is when I dug it out this morning. Only small gripe would be that it needs remastering as with the other Beggars Banquet album "Animal Boy".
Agreed, I think the last half of the 80's were pretty damn good for the Ramones, I love how Dee Dee toughened up TTTD, love Animal Boy and Halfway. Really don't like the sound that Bill Laswell got on Brain Drain. Tight album but sounds dreadful to my ears.

The Ramones, like the Stones and countless other bands were held up to their past glories, you can't beat the first 4 lps. It's like ACDC following up Back in Black, nothing they did could compare.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
09 May 2018, 2:45pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Underrated album.
Agreed, I think the last half of the 80's were pretty damn good for the Ramones, I love how Dee Dee toughened up TTTD, love Animal Boy and Halfway. Really don't like the sound that Bill Laswell got on Brain Drain. Tight album but sounds dreadful to my ears.

The Ramones, like the Stones and countless other bands were held up to their past glories, you can't beat the first 4 lps. It's like ACDC following up Back in Black, nothing they did could compare.
Totally with you on that. Laswell is good but the wrong guy for the Ramones. I like "Brain Drain" but it needs a more agressive mix. In fact he isn't needed they should've just let Daniel Rey do it all.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 May 2018, 6:33pm
coffeepotman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Underrated album.

Totally with you on that. Laswell is good but the wrong guy for the Ramones. I like "Brain Drain" but it needs a more agressive mix. In fact he isn't needed they should've just let Daniel Rey do it all.
Just jumping in to add that this is the most correct thread in all of IMCT history.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Hoagy Carmichael - Hoagy Sings Carmichael (1957)

This might be of interest to eumaas, maybe Kory. Hoagy's last major recording, goes through a bunch of his standards. Voice is in good form and all, but check out this personnel list, tons of heavy hitters:

Hoagy Carmichael - vocals
Harry Edison (tracks 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 10 & 11), Conrad Gozzo (tracks 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 10 & 11), Don Fagerquist (tracks 2, 5, 8 & 9), Ray Linn (tracks 2, 5, 8 & 9) - trumpet
Jimmy Zito - bass trumpet
Harry Klee, Art Pepper - alto saxophone
Mort Friedman - tenor saxophone
Marty Berman - baritone saxophone
Jimmy Rowles - piano
Al Hendrickson - guitar
Joe Mondragon (tracks 1-3, 5, 7-9 & 11), Ralph Pena (tracks 4, 6 & 10) - bass
Irving Cottler (tracks 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 10 & 11), Nick Fatool (tracks 2, 5, 8 & 9) - drums
Johnny Mandel - arranger, conductor

Fabulous music.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Wolter wrote:
09 May 2018, 8:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:

Just jumping in to add that this is the most correct thread in all of IMCT history.
Maybe, in time, they will get to remixing it or at least giving it the treatment they have with 40th anniversary super deluxe re-issues. I'm waiting for them to de-Spectorize End of the Century...Even Johnny wanted that...we can dream

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

coffeepotman wrote:
11 May 2018, 3:31pm
Wolter wrote:
09 May 2018, 8:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Maybe, in time, they will get to remixing it or at least giving it the treatment they have with 40th anniversary super deluxe re-issues. I'm waiting for them to de-Spectorize End of the Century...Even Johnny wanted that...we can dream
It’s so sad that Spector and the Ramones sound so good on paper and are only...so-so together.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

The songs are there but Phil really did a number on them

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Brazilian post-punk compilation. Good if you like that kind of thing.