What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Dec 2018, 5:47am
[quotew=laxman post_id=513236 time=1545949233 user_id=72]
Got my vinyl singles boxes out for the first time in a while. Played a couple of my Flexipop magazine discs, including Madness, a version of My Girl. Marky, did you put that on one of your compilations?
I didn't because it's been officially released as a bonus track on the reissues.
[/quote]

It is a great version.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Gothy/darkwave by way of early Cocteau Twins or, even more, Xmal Deutschland. Nothing about them really stands out to me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
28 Dec 2018, 6:11am
Marky Dread wrote:
Got my vinyl singles boxes out for the first time in a while. Played a couple of my Flexipop magazine discs, including Madness, a version of My Girl. Marky, did you put that on one of your compilations?
I didn't because it's been officially released as a bonus track on the reissues.
Thanks, I hadn’t realised that. I like the version and was pleasantly surprised that the Flexi disc still played fine. The other ones are bands like Haysi Fantayzee, Culture Club, Toyah, Blue Rondo A La Turk, Blancmange, definitely very 80s.
[/quote]

I used to have a bunch of those flexi discs from Flexipop magazine. I had the two Madness ones from Flexipop and the Patches one I bought at a fair. I remember liking the Toyah one at the time but I can't remember what was on it. Was it a version of Ieya.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Dec 2018, 4:37pm
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Thanks, I hadn’t realised that. I like the version and was pleasantly surprised that the Flexi disc still played fine. The other ones are bands like Haysi Fantayzee, Culture Club, Toyah, Blue Rondo A La Turk, Blancmange, definitely very 80s.
I used to have a bunch of those flexi discs from Flexipop magazine. I had the two Madness ones from Flexipop and the Patches one I bought at a fair. I remember liking the Toyah one at the time but I can't remember what was on it. Was it a version of Ieya.
[/quote]

Same era as Ieya, but it was Sphinx and For You. Played them both recently on Amazon Music and knew they rang a bell, then realised I actually had them already!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
28 Dec 2018, 6:10pm
Marky Dread wrote:
28 Dec 2018, 4:37pm
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Same era as Ieya, but it was Sphinx and For You. Played them both recently on Amazon Music and knew they rang a bell, then realised I actually had them already!
[/quote]

:cool:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

NME classics.jpg
NME classics.jpg (37.34 KiB) Viewed 3586 times
Cheap from Music Magpie and already had a lot of the tracks, but a great 3CD compilation.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

The Fleshtones - Do you swing? Great Bar Band. The Fleshtones have been putting out great garage rock for years. This is one of their better efforts in the studio. I need to see them live.

Odd trivia: I used to play for the Brooklyn Cosmos who were based in an Italian Social club based in Greenpoint.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Years and years since I've played this. Andy Partridge was one of the producers of the album and, yep, it doesn't sound far removed fro XTC.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 11:47am
Years and years since I've played this. Andy Partridge was one of the producers of the album and, yep, it doesn't sound far removed fro XTC.

I really like The Lillac Times stuff. Strange to think Stephen was an original member of Duran Duran.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 11:54am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 11:47am

I really like The Lillac Times stuff. Strange to think Stephen was an original member of Duran Duran.
Yeah, given respective career paths and styles, it was a match that made no sense.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Ramones - Ramones (1976)

Mono, naturally.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 6:12pm
Ramones - Ramones (1976)

Mono, naturally.
Hey Ho Mono!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

I read online somewhere about a promo video for this, featuring the band as puppets in the studio, with puppets of Messrs Strummer and Jones in the control room.... please, PLEASE let this be true, and available to watch somewhere?!
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres