What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by revbob »

BitterTom wrote:
17 May 2019, 8:17am
Caught a bit of American Pie the other day (I can't remember which one, they merge into one other) and though the film wasn't exceptional, this song certainly was, a beauty.
I will forever associate this song with the move An American Werewolf in London and more specifically

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
17 May 2019, 5:58pm
BitterTom wrote:
Caught a bit of American Pie the other day (I can't remember which one, they merge into one other) and though the film wasn't exceptional, this song certainly was, a beauty.
I will forever associate this song with the move An American Werewolf in London and more specifically
Superb film and great soundtrack. The first video we ever rented back in 1982. Still can't believe they never used "Werewolves of London" on the soundtrack though.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
17 May 2019, 6:14pm
revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Superb film and great soundtrack. The first video we ever rented back in 1982. Still can't believe they never used "Werewolves of London" on the soundtrack though.
Yeah, maybe Zevon was opposed?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BitterTom wrote:
17 May 2019, 4:16pm
WestwayKid wrote:
17 May 2019, 11:00am
BitterTom wrote:
Fantastic stuff! I really got into Van maybe 4 years ago - just after I got divorced. For some reason his music really seemed to speak to me during that time and once I started digging into his catalog I discovered just how consistently good he's been. It's hard to find a bad album by the Belfast Cowboy!!
Which album would you reccomend?
Veedon Fleece, Astral Weeks, Saint Dominic's Preview, No Guru No Method No Teacher, Into the Music

I think these 5 records would give you some great insight into his discography.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Yeah great film, Werewolves Of London is the only song I can remember in the film.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
17 May 2019, 9:01pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Yeah great film, Werewolves Of London is the only song I can remember in the film.
Moondance and Bad Moon Rising.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Various Artists - Ska Sucks. No. It. Doesn't. This is a pretty good collection of 3rd wave ska bands. Many will recognize quite a few of the bands.

On a side note, I picked this up at Edwin McKay's, a used book and cd shop in Greensboro, NC - great shop. I picked up the ska collection in the bargain section. I couldn't help but notice there was a lot of Sting cd's - as in over a dozen just in the one case I was looking into at the time. I really like the Police but man, has Sting fallen.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
17 May 2019, 9:27pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
I think they used a few different versions of Blue Moon as well.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 May 2019, 6:26pm
BitterTom wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Fantastic stuff! I really got into Van maybe 4 years ago - just after I got divorced. For some reason his music really seemed to speak to me during that time and once I started digging into his catalog I discovered just how consistently good he's been. It's hard to find a bad album by the Belfast Cowboy!!
Veedon Fleece, Astral Weeks, Saint Dominic's Preview, No Guru No Method No Teacher, Into the Music

Thank you, will get started on these later!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
18 May 2019, 1:29am
revbob wrote:
17 May 2019, 9:27pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:

I think they used a few different versions of Blue Moon as well.
I hope not to hear different versions of Blue Moon later today. Come on Watford!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Johnnytwentythree, The Bridge. A really good post-rock band who clearly love the last two Talk Talk records. This album's pretty affecting as it was written in the wake of, and in therapeutic response to, the bassist's suicide. There's something especially devastating in one (rare) bit of included words on the track "Shipwreck": Your death is not kind / Your death is not benign / Your death is a shipwreck. The video for "Shipwreck" is also quite beautiful. One of the best records of last year for me.

"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 May 2019, 7:02pm
Johnnytwentythree, The Bridge. A really good post-rock band who clearly love the last two Talk Talk records. This album's pretty affecting as it was written in the wake of, and in therapeutic response to, the bassist's suicide. There's something especially devastating in one (rare) bit of included words on the track "Shipwreck": Your death is not kind / Your death is not benign / Your death is a shipwreck. The video for "Shipwreck" is also quite beautiful. One of the best records of last year for me.

Oh yeah cool. Really hear Talk Talk in there. Must check out further.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

My library had a copy of Bowie’s Welcome to the Blackout, a live album released last year made of two shows from 1978 that I somehow only learned existed like a week ago. Two songs in and it’s good as hell.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 May 2019, 6:26pm
BitterTom wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Just working through Veedon Fleece. It is beautiful, thank you!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
19 May 2019, 2:33pm
My library had a copy of Bowie’s Welcome to the Blackout, a live album released last year made of two shows from 1978 that I somehow only learned existed like a week ago. Two songs in and it’s good as hell.
I posted that in this thread sometime back and I think only Matedog responded. The Earls Court shows and yes they are brilliant. An amazing listen and I was at the Saturday show.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia