What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 2:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 10:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 9:59pm
As with virtually every Peel session I've ever heard it's way better than the official release. It's like you get the true sound of the band on a Peel session and maybe because the bands don't get as much time to record the session they go in and bang it out like a gig.
Anecdotally, yeah, more bands than not sound better under the quick and dirty pressure of a Peel recording. The Fall immediately come to mind. Then again, I'm really not taken with what I think was the second one for Joy Division. Just a godawful version of LWTUA. But when those Peel ep's and then lp's started coming out in the late 80s, it was divine treasure for us mortals.
It's a drag that so many of them are OOP and hard to find.
Any in particular you are looking for?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
As with virtually every Peel session I've ever heard it's way better than the official release. It's like you get the true sound of the band on a Peel session and maybe because the bands don't get as much time to record the session they go in and bang it out like a gig.
Anecdotally, yeah, more bands than not sound better under the quick and dirty pressure of a Peel recording. The Fall immediately come to mind. Then again, I'm really not taken with what I think was the second one for Joy Division. Just a godawful version of LWTUA. But when those Peel ep's and then lp's started coming out in the late 80s, it was divine treasure for us mortals.
eBay?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 2:12pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I have many of them that I've searched for over the years, but it took forever and cost me a lot. The only one that I still really need is Can.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 2:19pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
eBay?
In my experience, if it's hard to find or too expensive at Discogs, eBay will be worse.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 2:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I have many of them that I've searched for over the years, but it took forever and cost me a lot. The only one that I still really need is Can.
Unless you're wanting the physical disc, a 320 rip is here: http://krautrockmaniac.blogspot.ca/2015 ... -1995.html

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 2:28pm
Kory wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 2:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Unless you're wanting the physical disc, a 320 rip is here: http://krautrockmaniac.blogspot.ca/2015 ... -1995.html
I am, but this will do for now. Thanks!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 10:50am
Nice. How is it? I only know her backing vox work, i.e. "Gimme Shelter" (still gives me serious shivers) and Big Country's "King of Emotion".
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Just picked this up at an actual record store. The Rolling Stones, 'On Air' [live at the BBC 1963-65] (2017).
The sound is all over the place, very raw. And it's a beast. Further documentation as to why they were a far better R&B band then any of their contemporaries (Beatles, Kinks, Who, Small Faces, Animals, etc.). And the never recorded cover of Bo Diddley's proto-rap "Cops and Robbers" is hilarious. Jagger was 20, middle class, English, had never been to the US, and he nails the patois of urban black American dudes. How'd he do that???
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 10:10pm
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 10:50am
Nice. How is it? I only know her backing vox work, i.e. "Gimme Shelter" (still gives me serious shivers) and Big Country's "King of Emotion".
It's fantastic a great version of Gimme Shelter and Southern Man if you dig those backing vocals you will love this album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 10:21pm
Just picked this up at an actual record store. The Rolling Stones, 'On Air' [live at the BBC 1963-65] (2017).
The sound is all over the place, very raw. And it's a beast. Further documentation as to why they were a far better R&B band then any of their contemporaries (Beatles, Kinks, Who, Small Faces, Animals, etc.). And the never recorded cover of Bo Diddley's proto-rap "Cops and Robbers" is hilarious. Jagger was 20, middle class, English, had never been to the US, and he nails the patois of urban black American dudes. How'd he do that???
I bought a cheap box set earlier in the year with the Chess sessions and various other early live gigs. I really like it. Yes they were a great R&B outfit I'm not sure if I agree they were better than their contemporaries. The early Who/High Numbers and my personal fave The Pretty Things were awesome R&B groups. Plus The Kinks BBC sessions are fantastic.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Listening to and watching "The Scottish Play," a live Wire show from 2004. Balls out.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 10:26pm
Listening to and watching "The Scottish Play," a live Wire show from 2004. Balls out.
That's kinda good. Short as it was, that's my favourite period of Wire.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 1:51am

It's fantastic a great version of Gimme Shelter and Southern Man if you dig those backing vocals you will love this album.
"Southern Man" is featured in that 20 Feet From Stardom documentary, it's a killer! Shame she's not the star she deserves
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

muppet hi fi wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 10:21pm
I'll grab that very soon
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak