What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 May 2018, 12:04pm
Some Screaming Blue Messiahs,
Is this the Town & Country gig they released officially? Mind blowing stuff. Still can't figure out how they not only didn't have massive commercial success, but how little they're known with punk/alt/indie/underground peeps. One of my top 5 bands. Flawless catalogue and by all accounts never played a remotely duff shoe ever.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
31 May 2018, 7:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Is this the Town & Country gig they released officially? Mind blowing stuff. Still can't figure out how they not only didn't have massive commercial success, but how little they're known with punk/alt/indie/underground peeps. One of my top 5 bands. Flawless catalogue and by all accounts never played a remotely duff shoe ever.
I always liked there shoes. ;)

It is indeed the same show the T & C they released with a slight difference this being the radio broadcast as apart from the CD. Still only the 10 tracks but this has had a remix by my friend Lee and then a little bit more mixing by yours truly.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 May 2018, 7:56pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It is indeed the same show the T & C they released with a slight difference this being the radio broadcast as apart from the CD. Still only the 10 tracks but this has had a remix by my friend Lee and then a little bit more mixing by yours truly.
Niiiice. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess your final mix tops the official release, yeah? (I'm sure you've got it; did I send you a copy a few years back?).

I'm gonna play that bastid right fecking now. :approve:

EDIT: Oh look - there's Bill's shoes!! :razz:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
31 May 2018, 8:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
31 May 2018, 7:56pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Niiiice. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess your final mix tops the official release, yeah? (I'm sure you've got it; did I send you a copy a few years back?).

I'm gonna play that bastid right fecking now. :approve:

EDIT: Oh look - there's Bill's shoes!! :razz:
I have the original CD on Windsong. You kindly sent me a nice needle drop of the outtakes from "Good and Gone". Of course it's mostly all in the box now. I still have a few things not in the box I'm going to compile and watch out soon for a live show I'll be uploading which I think isn't circulated.

Strong shoes is what we've got and when they're hot they're hot!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 May 2018, 8:23pm
:lol: :cool: :cool:
Dude, do you know how cool and rock n' roll this phrase is?!! It's like the whole history from Elvis to - well...at least the Messiahs! :mrgreen:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
31 May 2018, 9:01pm
Marky Dread wrote:
31 May 2018, 8:23pm
:lol: :cool: :cool:
Dude, do you know how cool and rock n' roll this phrase is?!! It's like the whole history from Elvis to - well...at least the Messiahs! :mrgreen:
:cool:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Think pre-Nowhere Ride. Very much that sullen, dark glasses, loud wash of guitars.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

All Blind WIllie McTell, all the time.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

My son randomly asked to stop at the local used book shop - guess his friend had recently been there. It had already been a hectic day - but I thought, heck, why not. He walked out with a "Big Nate" book (which I guess is popular with 8 year old boys), but daughter walked out with a Barbie Princess book, and I walked out with this...
220px-The_Jesus_and_Mary_Chain_-_Darklands.png
220px-The_Jesus_and_Mary_Chain_-_Darklands.png (64.35 KiB) Viewed 4885 times
$9.99! Cover is a little scuffed - but the vinyl within appears to have hardly been played. It's been too long since I've listened to this wonderful recording and I'd forgotten how good it sounds. Definitely glad my son asked to stop at the used book store last night!! :mrgreen:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Screaming Blue Messiahs, 'Totally Religious' (1989).
The last of their four stone classics, marred only by a very heavy/nearly metallic mix, that actually sounds better the louder you play it. This band is the Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Hendrix, CCR, Clash for our times: can't figure out how Bill Carter was so prescient and timeless with his songwriting. Oh - and that guitar...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 11:03pm
The last of their four stone classics, marred only by a very heavy/nearly metallic mix, that actually sounds better the louder you play it. This band is the Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Hendrix, CCR, Clash for our times: can't figure out how Bill Carter was so prescient and timeless with his songwriting. Oh - and that guitar...
Simply great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Hello,

I was just listening to this tonight during my workout. SBM's are really solid guitar rock with a sound of their own. I wonder what Bill Carter is doing these days. I know of the Killer B's Love is a Cadillac Death is a Ford - anything else by anyone from the SBM's?

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

gkbill wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 12:03am
muppet hi fi wrote:
Hello,

I was just listening to this tonight during my workout. SBM's are really solid guitar rock with a sound of their own. I wonder what Bill Carter is doing these days. I know of the Killer B's Love is a Cadillac Death is a Ford - anything else by anyone from the SBM's?
Bill posted a couple songs on My Space about 15 years ago, they were predictably awesome. Last I heard he was doing graphic design and had an arts project going (also heard he was driving taxi, but Marky doubted that). Seems he's walked away from music. Almost like the (real) Clash, a brilliant move maybe: that way he'll never have the chance to suck! :approve:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Hello,

Here are the four demos Bill did.

https://mega.nz/#!rt1kRIJD!RHmWr0JNcNLF ... HFg8EK35K8

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 5:32pm
gkbill wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Hello,

Here are the four demos Bill did.

https://mega.nz/#!rt1kRIJD!RHmWr0JNcNLF ... HFg8EK35K8
Hello,

Thanks, Marky. I just received some remixes from Lee - with this it's been a Twin Cadillac Day!