What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

My favourite song is "Ceremony" (more precisely, the original 7" version that New Order recorded as a trio) but I'm affected by pretty much any version I hear. So this tribute disc is pretty much made for me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 3:31pm
My favourite song is "Ceremony" (more precisely, the original 7" version that New Order recorded as a trio) but I'm affected by pretty much any version I hear. So this tribute disc is pretty much made for me.
My favorite NO song as well. Who is on the tribute? Anyone notable?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 3:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Nope: https://www.discogs.com/Various-Twelve- ... se/3994698

The group Yes But No are noteworthy for being, I think, 12 years old.

Edit: Close, 13 and 10. http://newordertribute.com/artists.html
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 2:32pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 2:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 2:02pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 1:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 8:48pm

Girls!
Or clearly not as the case may be.
Atypical!
Aberrant!
L'il Abnerrant!
This clearly departs from the accepted standard.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
So sorry to see you got ripped off. Everyone knows the limited 13 track edition is the best version although the 13th track is only a minutes worth of silence.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 3:55pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Doc, if you don't like it, I urge you not to crush it under foot. Don't stand on ceremony.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

:disshame:
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 4:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 3:55pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Doc, if you don't like it, I urge you not to crush it under foot. Don't stand on ceremony.
I'll break you down, no mercy shown …

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 4:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
So sorry to see you got ripped off. Everyone knows the limited 13 track edition is the best version although the 13th track is only a minutes worth of silence.
Ah, the rare John Cage mix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 5:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yes but I prefer the remix where if you listen carefully you can hear the sound of Peter Hook whispering "when is it dinnertime?"

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 5:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yes but I prefer the remix where if you listen carefully you can hear the sound of Peter Hook whispering "when is it dinnertime?"
Aw, you're mean. Sure he's a bit of a fatso now, but he's done well to protect and promote Joy Division's legacy.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 5:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Aw, you're mean. Sure he's a bit of a fatso now, but he's done well to abuse and pilfer from Joy Division's legacy. Which saves him so much time and effort having to write and record any new material of worth.
Whose mean? ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 7:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Aw, you're mean. Sure he's a bit of a fatso now, but he's done well to abuse and pilfer from Joy Division's legacy. Which saves him so much time and effort having to write and record any new material of worth.
Whose mean? ;)
:sad: I admit that I have a blind spot and am more forgiving in this incidence, but I want to believe he's being less mercenary than fatherly towards Ian's and Joy Division's memory. I might also be prejudiced by the fact that, from what I can tell, the New Order fanbase has pretty much excommunicated him, which seems a bit unfair. But I might be a naive child here.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 7:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 7:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Whose mean? ;)
:sad: I admit that I have a blind spot and am more forgiving in this incidence, but I want to believe he's being less mercenary than fatherly towards Ian's and Joy Division's memory. I might also be prejudiced by the fact that, from what I can tell, the New Order fanbase has pretty much excommunicated him, which seems a bit unfair. But I might be a naive child here.
I don't care much for the fanbase attitude to be honest. Peter can do what he likes and I don't really have a take on how much he cares for the legacy. It's all nonsense to me that people somehow think you can harm a legacy just by playing old material with a fresher approach be it by an original band member or a cover artist. Hooky speaks kindly of that Paul Young version which most don't care for but it takes nothing away from the brilliance of the original.

You might like this.
https://www.wcpo.com/entertainment/form ... t-new-book

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 8:00pm
I don't care much for the fanbase attitude to be honest. Peter can do what he likes and I don't really have a take on how much he cares for the legacy. It's all nonsense to me that people somehow think you can harm a legacy just by playing old material with a fresher approach be it by an original band member or a cover artist. Hooky speaks kindly of that Paul Young version which most don't care for but it takes nothing away from the brilliance of the original.
He is so much kinder than I ever could be to that Paul Young cover. Again, I may be uncharacteristically romantic about it, but when I hear Hook and the Light do Joy Division, it sounds like a genuine love for it all. Especially in a way that I never really heard when New Order did JD songs. If I'm reading way too much into it, so be it.
Thanks! I've read both his JD and NO books and enjoyed the rather self-effacing style. This bit jumped out at me: "Ian wasn't a victim of success. He was victim of circumstance." That's the thing that really does gnaw at me. The self-destruction wasn't that rock star over-indulgence cliche, but a poor fucker who was shown his dreams and then was betrayed by his body. I don't understand the ghoulish romanticization of his suicide that some generate. He made his choice, the one he thought made sense, but it's unfair that he was in the situation to make that choice, leaving behind so many people who loved him. There but for the grace of God …