What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Listened to this on my walk to school. Easily my favourite Pistols show because it's so clearly the sound of a band falling apart. Sid plunking on his bass, Steve and Paul putting in their time, and Rotten sounding like a brat. Lousy but so much more compelling than competence and purpose.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 3:44pm
Listened to this on my walk to school. Easily my favourite Pistols show because it's so clearly the sound of a band falling apart. Sid plunking on his bass, Steve and Paul putting in their time, and Rotten sounding like a brat. Lousy but so much more compelling than competence and purpose.
Plus the ending could not have been scripted better. I actually find it quite moving 😢

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 5:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Plus the ending could not have been scripted better. I actually find it quite moving 😢
Hello,

I'll watch this fairly often in youtube as it's so honest. Unfortunate and not happy but honest rather than posing as so many other bands do.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 5:10pm
101Walterton wrote:
Hello,

I'll watch this fairly often in youtube as it's so honest. Unfortunate and not happy but honest rather than posing as so many other bands do.
When I did my lecture on the US between Nixon and Reagan, I started with a bare bones description of the Pistols and then played the last two minutes of "No Fun," explaining that for my money, Rotten's last words—"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"—summarized the dominant mood of the US in that period. The bitter hangover of the Sixties hopes, of Vietnam, of Watergate, of the OPEC crisis. A lot of students clearly did not dig the Pistols. Kids these days. :rolleyes:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
The band are crap but John really puts himself through the pain barrier. It became all spectacle and little substance. Such a sad way for a great band to end.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 8:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The band are crap but John really puts himself through the pain barrier. It became all spectacle and little substance. Such a sad way for a great band to end.
As lousy as that concert is, really, they do pull it together on "No Fun" at the end. Rotten's great, showing off all kinds of voices—standard voice Rotten, possessed-by-a-demon Rotten, disillusioned Rotten, full-on tantrum Rotten. He was a prima donna asshole, but an insanely dynamic performer at that point.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

gkbill wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Is the entire concert filmed? I've only ever seen the performance of No Fun.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kory wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 9:16pm
gkbill wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Is the entire concert filmed? I've only ever seen the performance of No Fun.
Hello,

Here:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rotten is goddamned mesmerizing. He goes from listless to lunatic and then back in the blink of an eye. That stretch from '76 to '80 or so, he was supernatural.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Small Faces, 'Odgen's Nut Gone Flake' (1968; 2012 mono remaster).
IMO, more fun than 'Sgt. Pepper', 'Satanic Majesties', 'Tommy', 'Village Green', 'Pet Sounds' or 'SF Sorrow'.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 9:12pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
As lousy as that concert is, really, they do pull it together on "No Fun" at the end. Rotten's great, showing off all kinds of voices—standard voice Rotten, possessed-by-a-demon Rotten, disillusioned Rotten, full-on tantrum Rotten. He was a prima donna asshole, but an insanely dynamic performer at that point.
No Fun does indeed rise head and shoulders above the rest. Which is probably how they got away with including it on the Swindle album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 9:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
No Fun does indeed rise head and shoulders above the rest. Which is probably how they got away with including it on the Swindle album.
Holy crap, I believe this is the first time since I've known you that you've made a misstatement about the Pistols, my good chum. It's Belsen, not No Fun on Swindle. You are mortal!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 10:31am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Holy crap, I believe this is the first time since I've known you that you've made a misstatement about the Pistols, my good chum. It's Belsen, not No Fun on Swindle. You are mortal!
Yep of course mate. It's included in the movie but not the soundtrack.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 11:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 10:31am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yep of course mate. It's included in the movie but not the soundtrack.
I love this footage.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia