What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 8:20am
The only Stones remaster I hadn't bought until now. Just had a download which I don't think I ever played due to having the original CD. Jeez this sounds so damn good.
My most played Stones record.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
The only Stones remaster I hadn't bought until now. Just had a download which I don't think I ever played due to having the original CD. Jeez this sounds so damn good.
Is that the 2015 remaster (with bonus tracks)? I don't have that one - but I've heard it is overly compressed. The most recent CD version I have is the 1994 Virgin remaster and I've always liked the sound of it.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 10:05am
Marky Dread wrote:
Is that the 2015 remaster (with bonus tracks)? I don't have that one - but I've heard it is overly compressed. The most recent CD version I have is the 1994 Virgin remaster and I've always liked the sound of it.
Ten track remastered version in super jewel case edition.
Sounds brilliant to my ears but I haven't checked it for compression. It just sounds way better than my old virgin copy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Compression is a real problem, but probably one of the more overrated in music. To whit, the Dead Kennedys remasters are more compressed than the old Alternative Tentacles releases, but those latter had a jenky, terrible sound to them relative to the reissues. Lotta work went into those besides the fiddling with the dynamic range. I'd put the most recent Clash remasters in that same bucket.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 10:44am
Compression is a real problem, but probably one of the more overrated in music. To whit, the Dead Kennedys remasters are more compressed than the old Alternative Tentacles releases, but those latter had a jenky, terrible sound to them relative to the reissues. Lotta work went into those besides the fiddling with the dynamic range. I'd put the most recent Clash remasters in that same bucket.
It's not so difficult to remaster or in fact un remaster. The key is the source material. The DK' s original mix of FFfRV is incredibly thin sounding.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 10:39am
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Sounds brilliant to my ears but I haven't checked it for compression. It just sounds way better than my old virgin copy.
I think that is the 2009 UMG remaster.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
I find myself sometimes getting dragged down the dynamic range/compression rabbit hole when it comes to remasters - I'll Google them and usually end up over on the Steve Hoffman board - but at the end of the day I really struggle to "hear" what some of these people say they hear. I think if it sounds good to you - it sounds good. My biggest complaint is when the compression is bad I can't truly play it loud because it sounds distorted.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 11:19am
Flex wrote:
I find myself sometimes getting dragged down the dynamic range/compression rabbit hole when it comes to remasters - I'll Google them and usually end up over on the Steve Hoffman board - but at the end of the day I really struggle to "hear" what some of these people say they hear. I think if it sounds good to you - it sounds good. My biggest complaint is when the compression is bad I can't truly play it loud because it sounds distorted.
That Steve Hoffman board is bonkers when it comes to remaster. Bloody fussy or what. It cracks me up at the tiny amount of detail that is supposedly worth debating. As long as it sounds good and clear and not worse than it did previously is all that counts for me. Compression can be a bad thing but sometimes a necessary evil.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 11:17am
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 10:39am
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I think that is the 2009 UMG remaster.
Yes I just checked and you are correct mate. I think the sound is excellent.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 11:25am
WestwayKid wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 11:19am
Flex wrote:
That Steve Hoffman board is bonkers when it comes to remaster. Bloody fussy or what. It cracks me up at the tiny amount of detail that is supposedly worth debating. As long as it sounds good and clear and not worse than it did previously is all that counts for me. Compression can be a bad thing but sometimes a necessary evil.
Ha, ha! Exactly! I think sometimes I surf the Hoffman board simply for background info on the recording process - but yeah, they just lose themselves in the detail to the point where I wonder if they actually enjoy the music anymore?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

This is kind of an interesting website to look around in:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/ ... on+calling

I know sound is subjective - but it's also interesting to see how the dynamic range has changed on various recordings over the years.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/ ... por+trails

I know Vapor Trails by Rush is considered one of the most compressed recordings ever issued and you can see how "bad" it was - but then look at the remaster which was supposed to improve on the original it's only marginally less compressed.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 1:17pm

I know sound is subjective - but it's also interesting to see how the dynamic range has changed on various recordings over the years.

I know Vapor Trails by Rush is considered one of the most compressed recordings ever issued and you can see how "bad" it was - but then look at the remaster which was supposed to improve on the original it's only marginally less compressed.
Radio has played a huge part in the dynamic range and loudness factor. When Radio went digital a lot of early pressing of CD's simply were not loud enough. And then in the 90's "brickwalling" became fashionable and jeez what a disaster that was. Fuck all the highs and lows of the recording lets just go for bombastic all the way. Total shitty process which kills the delicate moments of the recording. You get a producer and a sound engineer and then you master your recording so fucking loud (Hi Oasis) until there is no more room to play with the sound anymore, crap crap crap I hate it!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 1:33pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Radio has played a huge part in the dynamic range and loudness factor. When Radio went digital a lot of early pressing of CD's simply were not loud enough. And then in the 90's "brickwalling" became fashionable and jeez what a disaster that was. Fuck all the highs and lows of the recording lets just go for bombastic all the way. Total shitty process which kills the delicate moments of the recording. You get a producer and a sound engineer and then you master your recording so fucking loud (Hi Oasis) until there is no more room to play with the sound anymore, crap crap crap I hate it!
Marky, didn't you use the original CBS CD's of 'Sandinista!' for your remaster/re-imagining project? I think you said at the time that their dynamic range , which I always thought was too brittle - high and low end, no mid-range - allowed you more head room to work with. Which I understand completely (though I don't hate the '99 remasters as much as some, I know where they're coming from, and I did welcome them at the time). Point is, your 'Sandinista!" remaster really does rival the 'Sound System' remasters for pristine clarity, which the original recordings lacked.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 1:49pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 1:33pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Marky, didn't you use the original CBS CD's of 'Sandinista!' for your remaster/re-imagining project? I think you said at the time that their dynamic range , which I always thought was too brittle - high and low end, no mid-range - allowed you more head room to work with. Which I understand completely (though I don't hate the '99 remasters as much as some, I know where they're coming from, and I did welcome them at the time). Point is, your 'Sandinista!" remaster really does rival the 'Sound System' remasters for pristine clarity, which the original recordings lacked.
I used all the original CD releases wherever possible. I had to take the odd unreleased track from SS obviously as that was the only place available. The '99 remasters are awful really awful.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia