What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 6:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 6:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 4:47pm
Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 4:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 1:54pm

You've ruined my life more than once with your venomous suggestions, but I will take the bait once again.
Well no promises, of course, but I've gotten really into them and you were the only one here who I thought may be interested from a pop perspective.
Had a very 80s pop feel to it, but not in a bad way. It's something I'll have to listen a few more times, I think, to figure out whether a really like it. Heston might be good with them, too.
Heston will hate it he doesn't like any music released before 2019.
I thought Heston hates all music outside of 1960–1989. Plus the cool stuff from inside those years. What I mean is, Heston's lame.
Music to me is best sampled from between 1965-1970 and 1978-1984. There are other notable songs outside these years but the greatest stuff is here.

You know I'm right.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 1:54pm
Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 1:46pm

Doc, you may like these guys if you haven't heard them already. I came across them early this year as one of those "if you like Poliça, check these guys out" things. They don't sound anything like Poliça, but they do have a well-constructed electro/organic pop thing going that I've become a bit of an evangelist for since I got addicted to their sound. The singer is particularly interesting/talented. I'm not a huge fan of their first album (they had a third member at the time, so I blame it all on him), but this album and the following one are really great.

edit: I just realized the band name, Chairlift, is not on the cover.
You've ruined my life more than once with your venomous suggestions, but I will take the bait once again.
Well no promises, of course, but I've gotten really into them and you were the only one here who I thought may be interested from a pop perspective.
Had a very 80s pop feel to it, but not in a bad way. It's something I'll have to listen a few more times, I think, to figure out whether a really like it. Heston might be good with them, too.
Yeah they definitely grew on me, it took a few listens and also a buddy getting really into them from my early recommendation.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 7:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 6:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 6:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Heston will hate it he doesn't like any music released before 2019.
I thought Heston hates all music outside of 1960–1989. Plus the cool stuff from inside those years. What I mean is, Heston's lame.
Music to me is best sampled from between 1965-1970 and 1978-1984. There are other notable songs outside these years but the greatest stuff is here.

You know I'm right.
I know many things. That is not one of them.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 7:36pm
Yeah they definitely grew on me, it took a few listens and also a buddy getting really into them from my early recommendation.
I've listened to their other two records. The first one isn't bad, but the more recent ones are definitely more engaging. I will pause my contempt for you for exactly 15 minutes.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 2:00pm
Kory wrote:
I've listened to their other two records. The first one isn't bad, but the more recent ones are definitely more engaging. I will pause my contempt for you for exactly 15 minutes.
I didn't like the first one because that guy that left the group seems insistent on singing once in a while and I hate his voice and lyrics.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 2:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I didn't like the first one because that guy that left the group seems insistent on singing once in a while and I hate his voice and lyrics.
He also rescued orphans from burning buildings and then put industrial polluters in those same burning buildings, so I think you should dial back the hate.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

For the most part a band I only liked for their singles—I did dig Wah Wah, tho—so this is plenty enough for me.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 3:07pm
For the most part a band I only liked for their singles—I did dig Wah Wah, tho—so this is plenty enough for me.
One band I've just don't get at all. They just seen so bland musically and image wise.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 4:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 3:07pm
One band I've just don't get at all. They just seen so bland musically and image wise.
There was a stretch of a few years in the 90s that I liked their singles, but I can't fathom anyone ever picking them as their favourite band.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Gonna have to second Marky on this one.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 2:33pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
He also rescued orphans from burning buildings and then put industrial polluters in those same burning buildings, so I think you should dial back the hate.
Nah he's gotta really earn it

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 5:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
You are such a Russian judge.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 5:18pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

In Seattle, pizza eats YOU!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 5:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 5:18pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

In Seattle, pizza eats YOU!
I don't doubt that Kory's pizza toppings are still alive. And malicious.