What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 6:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 6:43pm
So far, I've chugged thru Come On Pilgrim, Surfer Rosa, Doolittle, Bossanova, Trompe le Monde, and At the BBC. Now playing: Complete B Sides. It has been a good day.
Skimmed the comp I got in 2004. Very enjoyable.
You honour Pixies Day, sir.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

And I'm done for the night. Finished up with Indie Cindy and Head Carrier. I still think the latter is the weakest album they've done, but I did warm to it more.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 2:44pm
Flex wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 2:37pm
Careful Doc, when Kory says "regular" he means a crust made out of kale and topped with non-acidic organic tomato substitute and sliced smoked mongoose tail.
That semi-man has no right to play Pixies songs. :naughty:
It's just as a favor!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

In honor of Pixies Day. :cool: :cool:

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 9:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 2:44pm
Flex wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 2:37pm
Careful Doc, when Kory says "regular" he means a crust made out of kale and topped with non-acidic organic tomato substitute and sliced smoked mongoose tail.
That semi-man has no right to play Pixies songs. :naughty:
It's just as a favor!
I say good day to you, knave!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 9:43pm

Is the Hoy in you a bug or feature?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 10:01pm
Flex wrote:

Know Your Enemy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 10:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 10:01pm
Flex wrote:

Know Your Enemy.
It might be all the brainwashing stuff I'm reading these days, but I'm thinking Flex has been a Hoyist agent all along. A lot of good people (and Wolter) have been played and we have every right to be angry.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Post-Pixies Day hangover:

Jesus Christ, this is goddamned struggle to get thru. It's like wading thru any number of solo Beatles albums and wondering what the fuck happened to their talent. And yet this is supposed to be cream?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Listening to Stereo Total because they were on my list of things to check out, but after listening for about an hour, I can't figure out for the life of me why they were on the list.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The last few days, I've become transfixed by both versions of Sufjan Stevens' ode to Tonya Harding. Both melancholy and uplifting, the song seeks to elevate her from being a tabloid freak, and instead sketch her as a victim of classism, domestic abuse, and destructive envy that obscured her talent. It's not an entirely persuasive case—just as an example, Kerrigan was also working class—but the song is successfully emotionally manipulative. (Mind you, if you hate SS, this won't change your mind.)

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 6:22pm
The last few days, I've become transfixed by both versions of Sufjan Stevens' ode to Tonya Harding. Both melancholy and uplifting, the song seeks to elevate her from being a tabloid freak, and instead sketch her as a victim of classism, domestic abuse, and destructive envy that obscured her talent. It's not an entirely persuasive case—just as an example, Kerrigan was also working class—but the song is successfully emotionally manipulative. (Mind you, if you hate SS, this won't change your mind.)
Is it part of the soundtrack to the new film about Harding?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 6:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 6:22pm
Is it part of the soundtrack to the new film about Harding?
Weirdly, I don't think so. Just serendipity or something he decided to release at the right time (I read that he'd tried to write about her for years but could never find the voice). It's on Spotify as a single, with two versions of the same song.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 3:08pm
revbob wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 2:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 9:34am
This week I've been getting Down With the King. No not Elvis but the latest album from The Panic Report. It's a cracker of an album and fave tunes thus far are "Codes Are Red" "The Land of Opportunity" and "Black Rats". Nice nod to Capital Radio in "Off the Map". Not sure about the Nancy Sinarta cover but it adds some light relief. Great album get yerself a listen NOW!
How does one acquire a copy? Im not opposed to paying.
Heston kindly gave me an upload. I don't think the physical copy is released yet. I'm sure Heston will be along shortly to give more info.
I've put a link to a free download in the "Question For Heston" thread for anyone interested...

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8951&p=484640#p484640
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Going all Inder right now.