General music discussion.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Best band since the Clash?

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:The Redskins album didn't come out until 1986.
How could I forget The Redskins brilliant...good work revbob.
Unfortunately thy aren't as well known as they should have been. I posted a link once to their album that I had come across it really is a vital record for the collection of most people here.
Agreed my good man i've got it along with a handful of 7" and 12" singles and most of their John Peel sessions. Yes folks here should have it.

PURE SOUL POWER!
Nothing new to add, but that never stopped me before.

Really good stuff.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

nsc
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by nsc »

prince - sign of the times. the best lyric that strummer never wrote.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

nsc wrote:prince - sign of the times. the best lyric that strummer never wrote.
Sign of the Times by the Belle Starrs was much better.

[youtube][/youtube]
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

nsc
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by nsc »

Heston wrote:
and after hearing that rhodes/strummer came up with cut the crap.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

nsc wrote:
Heston wrote:
When will people realise it was Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Dead or Alive that influenced Cut the Crap's direction/production? Bernie just didn't have Trevor Horn or Pete Waterman's production skills.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
nsc wrote:
Heston wrote:
When will people realise it was Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Dead or Alive that influenced Cut the Crap's direction/production? Bernie just didn't have Trevor Horn or Pete Waterman's production skills.
Stop spinning me round like a record and relax.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

nsc
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by nsc »

Heston wrote:
nsc wrote:
Heston wrote:
i thought he was trying to compete with mclaren's duck rock. bernie could have paid the dosh and got a quality producer in. it's still not too late to get trevor horn to sort the album out.

FrankieSaysTopher

Post by FrankieSaysTopher »

Heston wrote:
nsc wrote:
Heston wrote:
Certainly Mick was a huge Frankie fan and TH probably had a big influence on BAD. Speaking of CTC, I think we have to give a shout out to Nine Inch Nails, who took the few shreds of half-ideas on that album and constructed a coherent musical approach out of it. Trent lost me during his heroin years, but I think the past couple of NIN album have shown him to be infinitely more radical politically than pretty much anyone out there. Definitely one of the most important artists of the past 20 years. Next time you get sickened by the next bullshit cash-in, maybe you could wash the taste of treason and exploitation with the latest NIN album. Which is free for download.

http://theslip.nin.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

FrankieSaysTopher wrote:Certainly Mick was a huge Frankie fan and TH probably had a big influence on BAD. Speaking of CTC, I think we have to give a shout out to Nine Inch Nails, who took the few shreds of half-ideas on that album and constructed a coherent musical approach out of it. Trent lost me during his heroin years, but I think the past couple of NIN album have shown him to be infinitely more radical politically than pretty much anyone out there. Definitely one of the most important artists of the past 20 years. Next time you get sickened by the next bullshit cash-in, maybe you could wash the taste of treason and exploitation with the latest NIN album. Which is free for download.

http://theslip.nin.com/
Fuck yeah.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NIN can fuck off and play with Gary Numan.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

nsc
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by nsc »

Marky Dread wrote:NIN can fuck off and play with Gary Numan.
over rated and thankfully over there.

Red star 69
Dirty Punk

Post by Red star 69 »

My word! I don´t want to upset anyone (only because I´m the new boy) but I never thought Clash fans could have such terrible music tastes! Then again, we shouldn´t judge others because of their lack of education!

My choice: At the moment it´s got to be Arctic Monkeys (although that will probably change on a regular basis)
The root of all faults, all failings, is nothing other than ignorance. This ignorance is like mistaking a heap of stones on the horizon for a human figure; it has no basis whatsoever, which means that even the source of of these faults and failings does not exist.
Tertón Sogyal, Tibet, Summer 1900

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Red star 69 wrote:My word! I don´t want to upset anyone (only because I´m the new boy) but I never thought Clash fans could have such terrible music tastes! Then again, we shouldn´t judge others because of their lack of education!

My choice: At the moment it´s got to be Arctic Monkeys (although that will probably change on a regular basis)
Irony? Or just reinforcing your original point?

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Red star 69 wrote:My word! I don´t want to upset anyone (only because I´m the new boy) but I never thought Clash fans could have such terrible music tastes! Then again, we shouldn´t judge others because of their lack of education!

Now, I'm not one to attack the new guy here, but anyone who makes fun of others taste and then names the Arctic Monkeys as the best band since the Clash broke up should look in a mirror... ;)
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes »

That was going really well until you shot yourself in the foot with The Arctic Monkeys, you really think they're the best band in the last quarter of a century? Nice little band but they're not pushing any boundaries and if they're still around in a few years they'll probably end up like Oasis and keep regurgitating the same old tried and trusted stuff..

Welcome to the board by the way.. :mrgreen:
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell