The KISS thread

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The KISS thread

Post by Flex »

I assume they keep referring to trash bins.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 10:54pm
I assume they keep referring to trash bins.
Wait there's more...

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

And for Heston Image

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm rewatching Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains because I'm showing it to my punk class next week, and laughing at how much Fee Waybill's asshole metal singer is aping on Paul Stanley, visually and aurally.

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 1:45pm
I'm rewatching Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains because I'm showing it to my punk class next week, and laughing at how much Fee Waybill's asshole metal singer is aping on Paul Stanley, visually and aurally.

How is that movie?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 2:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 1:45pm

How is that movie?
A rather contemptuous view of punk, treating the bands as of limited ability but high on gimmick and wanting nothing more than to be famous (and willing to fuck each other over to achieve it). There are large chunks of it I still quite like, but the fundamental takeaway is that punk is a media fraud.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

My KISS lecture is on Friday and I'm going to offer a prize of sorts. Because I have an attendance policy whereby X unexcused absences results in a grade reduction, I'm going to give anyone who is there a one absence reduction if any one of them can name two of the three KISS songs I think are okay. It's a crapshoot, but it's a dumb game for them.

(Answers: Strutter, Rock n Roll All Nite, and, hell, I'll say a tie between Detroit Rock City and Lick It Up. Everything else is in Heston's litter box.)

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 6:27pm
(Answers: Strutter, Rock n Roll All Nite, and, hell, I'll say a tie between Detroit Rock City and Lick It Up. Everything else is in Heston's litter box.)
In 50 years Kiss has been able to write enough decent songs to fill one EP. That's actually better than I usually give them credit.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 6:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 6:27pm
In 50 years Kiss has been able to write enough decent songs to fill one EP. That's actually better than I usually give them credit.
Well, if I were forced to choose between the two third song options, I'd say neither and go with the first two alone. So, there you go, a 7" single and nothing after 1975. In fairness, tho, both those songs are pretty fun.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

You're all being pretty generous.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 7:14pm
Two to four songs makes me generous? You are the Russian Olympic judge!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 7:31pm
revbob wrote:
There goes ol' easy-does-it-Doc, a peaceful mellow live and let liver if their ever was one.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Im just now noticing your positive comments about Lick it Up. ? This is probably the most troubling comment Ive ever come across on this board. More troubling than this video

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 7:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
There goes ol' easy-does-it-Doc, a peaceful mellow live and let liver if their ever was one.
I am, at heart, an Eagles fan.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 8:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Im just now noticing your positive comments about Lick it Up. ? This is probably the most troubling comment Ive ever come across on this board. More troubling than this video

I'm not exactly proud of myself, but, nah, I'm okayish with "Lick It Up" as a dumb hard rock song (for the same reason I kinda like Ratt's "Round and Round"; it's stupid as fuck but it's enjoyably stupid as fuck). The video is appalling, but then KISS are appalling. Goes with the territory.