Hey, remember Rancid?

Post by Inder » 21 Jul 2010, 10:48pm

[youtube]
[/youtube]

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Hey, remember Rancid?

Post by Flex » 21 Jul 2010, 10:50pm

"Nihilism" is maybe my favorite Rancid song.

Right after that stuff Tim Armstrong did with Pink, natch.

I always really liked this one too:
[youtube]
[/youtube]
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil » 21 Jul 2010, 11:28pm

Life Won't Wait is my favorite Rancid album
[youtube]
[/youtube]

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston » 22 Jul 2010, 2:57am

I like their 90s output, but their albums are too long.

My favourite songs are Olympia, Hooligans and Roots, Radicals.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 22 Jul 2010, 8:53am

Heston wrote:I like their 90s output, but their albums are too long.
God help me, I have the same opinion. I like my pop/rock albums around the 40 minute mark... even if you have a solid collection of songs, my interest starts wavering. I feel the same way about Generation Terrorists.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston » 22 Jul 2010, 9:05am

eumaas wrote:
God help me, I have the same opinion. I like my pop/rock albums around the 40 minute mark... even if you have a solid collection of songs, my interest starts wavering. I feel the same way about Generation Terrorists.
Euston, we have a problem
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 22 Jul 2010, 9:07am

Heston wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Excuse me, I have to retire to my hovel to scourge myself.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff » 22 Jul 2010, 9:28am

Heston wrote:
eumaas wrote:
How long have you been waiting to use that line?
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 22 Jul 2010, 9:31am

Spiff wrote:
Heston wrote:
eumaas wrote:
How long have you been waiting to use that line?
http://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic.p ... 86#p140286

Flex

Post by Flex » 22 Jul 2010, 11:08am

eumaas wrote:
I actually agree too (although I like their 2000s work as well). I usually just listen to half an album at a time, it works out pretty well.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen

Post by Wolter » 22 Jul 2010, 11:09am

Flex wrote:
eumaas wrote:
I actually agree too (although I like their 2000s work as well). I usually just listen to half an album at a time, it works out pretty well.
I appreciate the existence of Rancid, but I rarely feel the need to listen to them for more than about 20 minutes.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory » 22 Jul 2010, 3:02pm

Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
eumaas wrote:
I appreciate the existence of Rancid, but I rarely feel the need to listen to them for more than about 20 minutes.
Yup Yup.
I used to own all of their albums, but have now whittled it down to Life Won't Wait...which I never listen to.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Flex

Post by Flex » 22 Jul 2010, 3:07pm

Kory wrote:I used to own all of their albums, but have now whittled it down to Life Won't Wait...which I never listen to.
I used to like Life Won't Wait the most out of their albums, but with the passage of time I think I've come to regard it as their second weakest album (Indestructible is probably a bit weaker, although they're actually pretty similar in style). I appreciate the diversity, but Rancid is really at their best when they fuse Street Punk with the kind of pop-punk hooks they can churn out seemingly effortlessly. When they branch out to ska-core and reggae, I think they start meandering too much.

EDIT: Spelling
Last edited by Flex on 22 Jul 2010, 3:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pex Lives!

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 22 Jul 2010, 3:09pm

Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:I used to own all of their albums, but have now whittled it down to Life Won't Wait...which I never listen to.
I used to like Life Won't Wait the most out of their albums, but with the passage of time I think I've come to regard it as their second weakest album (Indestructible is probably a bit weaker, although they're actually pretty similar in style). I appreciate the diversity, but Rancid is really at their best when they fuse Street Punk with the kind of pop-punk hooks they can churn out seeemingly effortlessly. When they branch out to ska-core and reggae, I think they start meandering too much.
This seems familiar somehow.

Flex

Post by Flex » 22 Jul 2010, 3:11pm

eumaas wrote:This seems familiar somehow.
Well, Tim Armstrong makes no secret about the band he most likes to emulate...

Pex Lives!