Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

General music discussion.
CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Re: Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by CorwoodRep »

I think some live tracks by the two-guitar lineup of BAD qualify for this thread now. E=MC2, Rewind, and Just Play Music particularly.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kaleb wrote:I think some live tracks by the two-guitar lineup of BAD qualify for this thread now. E=MC2, Rewind, and Just Play Music particularly.
Best E=mc2s...

(70 mm widescreen version)
Lollapalooza
Bradford "Radio One live in Concert"

I like the Fallon version, but I think Lollapalooza caught the 2011 BAD at their best.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

Oh, and I mean the 2011 reunion, not BAD II.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Heston

Post by Heston »

God, I just love this. Has a charm not present on the White Music version...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 7:51pm

Brilliant.

I've got a version of "(White Man) in Hammersmith Palais" wich I've managed to take from the dubbed version of the Rude Boy soundtrack. I've removed the live track from Glasgow Apollo - Tuesday 4 July 1978 just leaving the track the band dubbed on top in Basing Street Studios. This is a different version to the 7'' and the RAR alt. version. I like it at least as much as the official 7''.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 8:49pm
Heston wrote:

Brilliant.

I've got a version of "(White Man) in Hammersmith Palais" wich I've managed to take from the dubbed version of the Rude Boy soundtrack. I've removed the live track from Glasgow Apollo - Tuesday 4 July 1978 just leaving the track the band dubbed on top in Basing Street Studios. This is a different version to the 7'' and the RAR alt. version. I like it at least as much as the official 7''.
Where would I find such a version?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 6:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Brilliant.

In my music library. I will be sharing with all in time. I'm putting something together at the moment. If that doesn't work out then I will simply upload the track as a stand alone download. Patience my dear boy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 7:13pm
Heston wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 6:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Brilliant.

In my music library. I will be sharing with all in time. I'm putting something together at the moment. If that doesn't work out then I will simply upload the track as a stand alone download. Patience my dear boy.
;)

Heston

Post by Heston »

Had a listen to a some of the songs in this thread tonight and enjoyed quite a few. People should post more of them.

Here's the best version of Waterloo by ABBA. An early rejected mix but I love the louder guitars and extra "oh yeahs!" The Wall of Sound never sounded better...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 6:07pm
Had a listen to a some of the songs in this thread tonight and enjoyed quite a few. People should post more of them.

Here's the best version of Waterloo by ABBA. An early rejected mix but I love the louder guitars and extra "oh yeahs!" The Wall of Sound never sounded better...

That version is excellent.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Maybe not better but I still love the alternate version of this song, as it first appeared as a b-side. Still wondering where this song has been all my life, cheers again Marky...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 7:09pm
Maybe not better but I still love the alternate version of this song, as it first appeared as a b-side. Still wondering where this song has been all my life, cheers again Marky...

The B-side doesn't quite hit the spot as hard as the other version. But such a great song. It made my day thinking you had heard it for the first time only when I posted it. I remember how I felt affected by it's passion and power on first hearing it. Immense song. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 9:32pm
Heston wrote:

The B-side doesn't quite hit the spot as hard as the other version. But such a great song. It made my day thinking you had heard it for the first time only when I posted it. I remember how I felt affected by it's passion and power on first hearing it. Immense song. ;)
It is already up there with my favourite songs of all time. Must have heard it 200 times since you posted it. :approve:

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 3:04am
Heston wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 6:07pm

That version is excellent.
I missed this the first time. I really dig it.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 9:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 9:32pm
Heston wrote:

It is already up there with my favourite songs of all time. Must have heard it 200 times since you posted it. :approve:
Snap. Cheers again Marky, such a brilliant song and still playing it regularly!