The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 7:44pm
revbob wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 7:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 6:29pm
revbob wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 6:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 5:28pm

They ruined it with all the synthesizers and drum machines.
Purist!
You can't conjure up Our Dark Master with a sampler. That's in scripture.
Is that from the Book of Tegan and Sarah?
Revelation—the only worthwhile book in the bible. It's in there before Jesus comes down with a flaming guitar.
It might seem quaint these days. But as a youngin all the "Satanic metal" stuff felt super dangerous back in the day. I had a buddy whose father was like a Methodist minister or something. He had a party in 8th grade before he moved away and I brought a bumch of records as his dad was going to be the DJ. He wouldn't play something as innocuous as Highway to Hell, or like any of the old Sabbath stuff. This was before the likes of Venom etc when all metal in general was considered Satanic.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 7:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 6:09pm

Purist!
Revelation—the only worthwhile book in the bible. It's in there before Jesus comes down with a flaming guitar.
It might seem quaint these days. But as a youngin all the "Satanic metal" stuff felt super dangerous back in the day. I had a buddy whose father was like a Methodist minister or something. He had a party in 8th grade before he moved away and I brought a bumch of records as his dad was going to be the DJ. He wouldn't play something as innocuous as Highway to Hell, or like any of the old Sabbath stuff. This was before the likes of Venom etc when all metal in general was considered Satanic.
I just did my lecture on metal and Satanism today and I could tell the students were unaware of how seriously people took that shit in the 80s. Me talking about the past always up with students thinking we were a bunch of rubes back then. :meh:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 7:58pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I just did my lecture on metal and Satanism today and I could tell the students were unaware of how seriously people took that shit in the 80s. Me talking about the past always up with students thinking we were a bunch of rubes back then. :meh:
Society has changed in a lot of ways. I remember my mom (who was pretty progressive/liberal) being concerned about some of my musical choices. Of course she grew up in the 50s when rock n roll in general was considered dangerous by the mainstream. Its kind of like when you're the youngest kid in the family and your older siblings trailblaze for their younger siblings. Stay out/up past 9pm etc.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 8:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 7:58pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Society has changed in a lot of ways. I remember my mom (who was pretty progressive/liberal) being concerned about some of my musical choices. Of course she grew up in the 50s when rock n roll in general was considered dangerous by the mainstream. Its kind of like when you're the youngest kid in the family and your older siblings trailblaze for their younger siblings. Stay out/up past 9pm etc.
The big takeaway from my lecture on the PMRC and the hip-hop hearings in the mid-90s is that it was driven by liberal Boomers. It's easy/lazy to blame old conservatives and religious nuts for want to censor/ban rock or hip hop, but it was spearheaded by liberals. To their credit, I supposes, liberals have moved leftward on cultural issues—towards diversity and acceptance—but in the 80s and 90s, they were leading the charge for protecting kids from all manner of imaginary monsters.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

This is a different take on a Link Wray song - somehow I think Adam Ant would approve (and perhaps improve):

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I was kinda ho-hum on Velocity Girl as a band—a few cool songs, mostly meh—but Sarah Shannon had a remarkable voice.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 12:39pm

I was kinda ho-hum on Velocity Girl as a band—a few cool songs, mostly meh—but Sarah Shannon had a remarkable voice.
I always liked the band name, the music doesn't really do it justice. This song sort of sounds like those Patty Smyth (Smythe?) songs from the 80s.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 1:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 12:39pm

I always liked the band name, the music doesn't really do it justice. This song sort of sounds like those Patty Smyth (Smythe?) songs from the 80s.
They nicked the band name from a Primal Scream song. But, yeah, they were pretty run-of-the-mill post-grunge alternative music that was considered marketable. Seems to me I heard that one of the band members is now a CNN reporter.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Here's a pretty ass-kicking cover of Dylan's Shot of Love by PJ Harvey:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 2:03pm
Here's a pretty ass-kicking cover of Dylan's Shot of Love by PJ Harvey:
She's the best.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

A forgotten (by me) but really good album.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Been listening to some Tourists of late, a lot of really good pop tunes with clever, inventive arrangements and, of course, some very obvious star potential on lead vocals.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 7:24pm
Been listening to some Tourists of late, a lot of really good pop tunes with clever, inventive arrangements and, of course, some very obvious star potential on lead vocals.

Underrated band all three of their albums are solid.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia