Page 266 of 273

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Posted: 08 Aug 2019, 6:36pm
by Heston
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 6:29pm
Heston wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 6:24pm
It's a lip-synch but a great video. Always puts a spring in my step this one...

One of my older sisters had the 45 of this, so it was one of the first rock n roll records I ever heard. The version in your video is different than the version I grew up with (but has extra foxiness). This is the one I know:
Yeah, the version in the video I posted was new to me as well, but as you say, quite foxy. That video used to always be on the all night video channel I used to watch in the 90s but it had the original audio you speak of. It was the same video channel I was watching when I first cracked the Starship Code.

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Posted: 08 Aug 2019, 6:58pm
by Dr. Medulla
Heston wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 6:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 6:29pm
Heston wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 6:24pm
It's a lip-synch but a great video. Always puts a spring in my step this one...

One of my older sisters had the 45 of this, so it was one of the first rock n roll records I ever heard. The version in your video is different than the version I grew up with (but has extra foxiness). This is the one I know:
Yeah, the version in the video I posted was new to me as well, but as you say, quite foxy. That video used to always be on the all night video channel I used to watch in the 90s but it had the original audio you speak of. It was the same video channel I was watching when I first cracked the Starship Code.
A number of us have speculated that crack was involved.

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Posted: 08 Aug 2019, 7:21pm
by revbob
Heston wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 6:24pm
It's a lip-synch but a great video. Always puts a spring in my step this one...

Rick Derringer became such a tool.

And the lack of a bra makes that video special.

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Posted: 08 Aug 2019, 7:22pm
by Heston
revbob wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 7:21pm
Heston wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 6:24pm
It's a lip-synch but a great video. Always puts a spring in my step this one...

Rick Derringer became such a tool.
Yeah, I never realised it was him until I googled them earlier.

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Posted: 09 Aug 2019, 6:35pm
by Dr. Medulla


This isn't my favourite song of all time, but, hand on heart, when it's playing I can't think of anything better. It's one of those songs where I stray into Greil Marcus cosmic hyperbole mode.

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Posted: 09 Aug 2019, 6:38pm
by Heston
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 6:35pm


This isn't my favourite song of all time, but, hand on heart, when it's playing I can't think of anything better. It's one of those songs where I stray into Greil Marcus cosmic hyperbole mode.
Totally brilliant. The fact radio plays Love Shack but ignores this says all you need to know about the insanity of this world.

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Posted: 09 Aug 2019, 6:51pm
by Dr. Medulla
Heston wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 6:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 6:35pm


This isn't my favourite song of all time, but, hand on heart, when it's playing I can't think of anything better. It's one of those songs where I stray into Greil Marcus cosmic hyperbole mode.
Totally brilliant. The fact radio plays Love Shack but ignores this says all you need to know about the insanity of this world.
Fuck do I hate "Love Shack." I mean, I'm glad it made the band a bunch of cash, but I can't stand hearing it. I just assume the universe is cleverly transferring funds to the "Rock Lobster" account.

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Posted: 09 Aug 2019, 6:52pm
by Silent Majority
Also, bonus, it ANNOYS THE FUCK out of anyone not into its mad surf party mutant vibe.

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Posted: 09 Aug 2019, 7:01pm
by Kory
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 6:35pm


This isn't my favourite song of all time, but, hand on heart, when it's playing I can't think of anything better. It's one of those songs where I stray into Greil Marcus cosmic hyperbole mode.
I don't really like this band, but this song is objectively good.

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Posted: 09 Aug 2019, 7:20pm
by Dr. Medulla
Kory wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 6:35pm


This isn't my favourite song of all time, but, hand on heart, when it's playing I can't think of anything better. It's one of those songs where I stray into Greil Marcus cosmic hyperbole mode.
I don't really like this band, but this song is objectively good.
Everything up to and including Whammy! is superb, then, perhaps coincidentally after Ricky Wilson died, it gets really sketchy. Their first album was postmodern retro kitsch before anyone was able to categorize it. As vital an album as any other in that brilliant year 1979.

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Posted: 09 Aug 2019, 7:22pm
by Kory
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:20pm
Kory wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 6:35pm


This isn't my favourite song of all time, but, hand on heart, when it's playing I can't think of anything better. It's one of those songs where I stray into Greil Marcus cosmic hyperbole mode.
I don't really like this band, but this song is objectively good.
Everything up to and including Whammy! is superb, then, perhaps coincidentally after Ricky Wilson died, it gets really sketchy. Their first album was postmodern retro kitsch before anyone was able to categorize it. As vital an album as any other in that brilliant year 1979.
I suppose it's probably the kitsch factor that turns me away. It's not a quality that I generally am attracted to.

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Posted: 09 Aug 2019, 7:35pm
by Dr. Medulla
Kory wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:22pm
I suppose it's probably the kitsch factor that turns me away. It's not a quality that I generally am attracted to.
Generally speaking I agree with you, mainly because kitsch is too often applied in a dumb joke kind of way rather than a bewildering and intriguing raid-on-the-past manner. Like the difference between nostalgia and history.

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Posted: 09 Aug 2019, 7:57pm
by Heston
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:35pm
Kory wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:22pm
I suppose it's probably the kitsch factor that turns me away. It's not a quality that I generally am attracted to.
Generally speaking I agree with you, mainly because kitsch is too often applied in a dumb joke kind of way rather than a bewildering and intriguing raid-on-the-past manner. Like the difference between nostalgia and history.
I think everything great about the B-52s was distilled into that song. I like some of their other tunes but it was a one shot deal.

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Posted: 09 Aug 2019, 8:03pm
by Dr. Medulla
Heston wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:35pm
Kory wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:22pm
I suppose it's probably the kitsch factor that turns me away. It's not a quality that I generally am attracted to.
Generally speaking I agree with you, mainly because kitsch is too often applied in a dumb joke kind of way rather than a bewildering and intriguing raid-on-the-past manner. Like the difference between nostalgia and history.
I think everything great about the B-52s was distilled into that song. I like some of their other tunes but it was a one shot deal.
RL is archetypal B-52's tho "Planet Claire" is almost its equal.

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Posted: 09 Aug 2019, 8:05pm
by revbob
Heston wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:35pm
Kory wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:22pm
I suppose it's probably the kitsch factor that turns me away. It's not a quality that I generally am attracted to.
Generally speaking I agree with you, mainly because kitsch is too often applied in a dumb joke kind of way rather than a bewildering and intriguing raid-on-the-past manner. Like the difference between nostalgia and history.
I think everything great about the B-52s was distilled into that song. I like some of their other tunes but it was a one shot deal.
I lean towards this but I honestly haven't really delved into their catalog much. I tend to think of them as the musical wing of John Waters.