The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

One of my favourite Fall songs that are on the pop side, but there's really no song there. It's like a remix that's a deconstruction of song, just stripping things away and keeping core elements.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex bait

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2024, 7:35pm

One of my favourite Fall songs that are on the pop side, but there's really no song there. It's like a remix that's a deconstruction of song, just stripping things away and keeping core elements.
I'm not a huge fan of the Fall but always liked that track. Great groove.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
26 Jan 2024, 2:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2024, 7:35pm

I'm not a huge fan of the Fall but always liked that track. Great groove.
I've probably mentioned before that whenever I finger drum out of boredom or anxiety, it's always "Hit the North."
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle.

The "You know, you're a real up person" bit still cracks me up.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
29 Jan 2024, 12:03pm
Hello,

New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle.

The "You know, you're a real up person" bit still cracks me up.
This and "True Faith" are inextricably bound up in my memory of what 1987 is. I graduated high school that year, but if you say 1987, I'll immediately think of those two songs. I can't say why, exactly, as there was a ton of music that I was discovering then.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This just popped in my (talking?) head. I'd forgotten how superb of a cover it is. Apart from the aggressive disco sound, I love how the vocals are balanced—Tom is in your face, Nina is cool and restrained—so the experience sways back and forth.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

RIP Mojo

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Apologies to revbob, who will now have greater reason to doubt me, but I just discovered this and am blown away. I dare say it's equal to Mama Cass' version.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

First appearance of Trio on Hitparade, a German Schlager show. There are no words to describe how much I love this. Look at Stefan Remmler enjoying himself, he's one cool dude. The audience reaction is priceless, too.

Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
11 Feb 2024, 5:15pm
First appearance of Trio on Hitparade, a German Schlager show. There are no words to describe how much I love this. Look at Stefan Remmler enjoying himself, he's one cool dude. The audience reaction is priceless, too.

That was fantastic. I had the 45 of it, one of the first couple dozen records I ever bought. Thinking back—especially looking at the audience reaction—it's one of those hit records that are so magical because they make no sense as mass appeal. I've usually used the example of M/A/R/R/S' "Pump Up the Volume," which, in the context of 1987, was bizarre. Of course something like that was common on the dance floor, but mainstream radio? No way. Laurie Anderson's "O Superman" fits that, too, tho it was a more limited hit. But shit like that does not normally catch the ears of mainstream listeners.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Feb 2024, 5:27pm
Olaf wrote:

That was fantastic. I had the 45 of it, one of the first couple dozen records I ever bought. Thinking back—especially looking at the audience reaction—it's one of those hit records that are so magical because they make no sense as mass appeal. I've usually used the example of M/A/R/R/S' "Pump Up the Volume," which, in the context of 1987, was bizarre. Of course something like that was common on the dance floor, but mainstream radio? No way. Laurie Anderson's "O Superman" fits that, too, tho it was a more limited hit. But shit like that does not normally catch the ears of mainstream listeners.
I was 12 when this came out and we instantly started a Trio cover band at school. The drummer used his watercolor box as drums and it was basically the only instrument we had. Guess they were kinda our Sex Pistols.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 11:04am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Feb 2024, 5:27pm
Olaf wrote:

I was 12 when this came out and we instantly started a Trio cover band at school. The drummer used his watercolor box as drums and it was basically the only instrument we had. Guess they were kinda our Sex Pistols.
Excellent! And it is the kind of song that says, hey, kid, you could do this—this doesn't require rare talent. And because it's fun and catchy, it says, you could also make something fun and catchy. I always enjoy that realization from kids in my punk class, when it sinks in that they've always had it in their hands whether to participate and produce, it's not about objective standards that have determined them to be not good enough. It's such a duh thing once you get it, and yet most people don't.

edit: By comparison, look at Elastica's cover:

Okay, interpretation and making one's own and all that, but making it more conventionally rock, even if it still sounds fun (and it does!), misses the point of the original's stark, mocking minimalism.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:

Ha! real different reaction of various audience members, brilliant.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia