The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 3:03pm
101Walterton wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 2:47pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 2:39pm
101Walterton wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 2:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 12:36pm

I agree but they never recorded Liqjidator as a studio take it's only a live favourite.
True. The Skinhead Symphony on b side of Too Much’ is perfect, well it could have been more perfect. The Specials did a great live version of Madness (Live at Lyceum) but haven’t heard them do a live DB. My dream would be a live album of all the covers.
I also expect they would've had one eye over their shoulders as to what covers The Selecter/Madness/The Beat were releasing and making sure they didn't release too many cover versions as opposed to original material themselves.
As they all relied heavily on covers they needed some originals to make any money!!!
Yeah I'm sure that played a part. But intially it was about establishing themselves in the charts. All the Two-Tone bands started with a cover versions in one form or another as A or B-sides all though The Prince by Madness was not a cover it was a tribute and borrows the majority of it's lyrical content from Prince Buster song titles. Interestingly The Selecter first track was an original but was recoreded way earlier in '77-'78 as the track Kingston Affair long before Pauline joined the group.

It does make you wonder how successful those bands would of been without the reliance of covers.
The Beat only released Tears Of A Clown as a single on 2Tone because they wanted to keep all their original songs for their record deal as they knew 2 Tone was a stop gap for them. But they also relied heavily on covers.
I guess if you are a second wave genre it is natural to cover first wave tracks?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 8:30pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 2:27pm

True. The Skinhead Symphony on b side of Too Much’ is perfect, well it could have been more perfect. The Specials did a great live version of Madness (Live at Lyceum) but haven’t heard them do a live DB. My dream would be a live album of all the covers.
I also expect they would've had one eye over their shoulders as to what covers The Selecter/Madness/The Beat were releasing and making sure they didn't release too many cover versions as opposed to original material themselves.
As they all relied heavily on covers they needed some originals to make any money!!!
Yeah I'm sure that played a part. But intially it was about establishing themselves in the charts. All the Two-Tone bands started with a cover versions in one form or another as A or B-sides all though The Prince by Madness was not a cover it was a tribute and borrows the majority of it's lyrical content from Prince Buster song titles. Interestingly The Selecter first track was an original but was recoreded way earlier in '77-'78 as the track Kingston Affair long before Pauline joined the group.

It does make you wonder how successful those bands would of been without the reliance of covers.
The Beat only released Tears Of A Clown as a single on 2Tone because they wanted to keep all their original songs for their record deal as they knew 2 Tone was a stop gap for them. But they also relied heavily on covers.
I guess if you are a second wave genre it is natural to cover first wave tracks?
No problem with that. But I think those covers really helped establish the bands in the charts as they found appeal with a young and older audience who already knew those songs. It certainly helped break the ice chart wise. I doubt The Specials would have got to number 1 with Too Much To Young if it had been their first single.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 8:40pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

No problem with that. But I think those covers really helped establish the bands in the charts as they found appeal with a young and older audience who already knew those songs. It certainly helped break the ice chart wise. I doubt The Specials would have got to number 1 with Too Much To Young if it had been their first single.
Agreed. By the time they released TMTY the momentum was with them. They could have released Nite Club or Concrete Jungle instead and they would have gone to #1 at that time.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 8:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Agreed. By the time they released TMTY the momentum was with them. They could have released Nite Club or Concrete Jungle instead and they would have gone to #1 at that time.
Oh yeah I think you are correct all the stars were in alignment. Although Nite Klub and Concrete Jungle would've been a censored versions.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The song and video are meh, imo. But U.S. Ape is an incredible name for a band.

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This bastard has been chugging around in my brain a lot in the past week. Which probably comes as no great surprise. I like it a lot more than I used to, even tho it's on the milder side.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

From the glorious year of 1977 AD, in the year of our lord: New Yawk City!
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 8:50pm

This bastard has been chugging around in my brain a lot in the past week. Which probably comes as no great surprise. I like it a lot more than I used to, even tho it's on the milder side.
I remember buying the 7'' single and liking the B-side "Dance Day". Really odd how this single was released in between Eighties and Love Like Blood.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Most people on here know I'm no fan of Oasis but I really dig Noel's new song. It's like a cross between Plastic Bertrand, Roxy Music and Ricky Martin. Nice to see Noel out of his usual plodding comfort zone...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Heston wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 11:01am
Most people on here know I'm no fan of Oasis but I really dig Noel's new song. It's like a cross between Plastic Bertrand, Roxy Music and Ricky Martin. Nice to see Noel out of his usual plodding comfort zone...

Hello,

I like this one! I'd add Ian Hunter to the influences.

I had to view this version in the US:

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

gkbill wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 1:35pm
Heston wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 11:01am

Hello,

I like this one! I'd add Ian Hunter to the influences.

I had to view this version in the US:

Good listen. Kinda did feel familiar a little bit but I like it way better than I ever liked any Oasis song. Admittedly that’s not saying a lot!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Definitely better than any Oasis.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 3:07pm
Definitely better than any Oasis.
Maybe.

So only really as good as 99% of all other music.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It's about Syd Barrett, somewhere between wistful and sentimental. The line "Everything is enhanced by you" is so wonderfully affirming, even utopian.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 8:49pm
101Walterton wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 8:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Oh yeah I think you are correct all the stars were in alignment. Although Nite Klub and Concrete Jungle would've been a censored versions.
Just thinking back to this and should add that Nite Klub was a double A side so technically a single. I can't remember it getting any air play.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia