The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 7:33am
101Walterton wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 10:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 8:50pm
This might be the "Most 80s" video. Lots of goofy jump-cuts, slow motion stuff, nothing making a lick of sense. I know I loved it (song and video) when it came out—still in the heady rush of discovering punk and post-punk—but now it's more than a bit cringing.
If they had recorded / released Seattle 80-82 instead of later 80’s I reckon it would have been a big hit.
PiL post-Levene stopped sounding weird and vaguely futuristic, but instead sounded like other bands around them. "Seattle" is a perfectly nice alternative rock song from the late 80s. It's music meant to sell records, not to challenge or confound or reject. That the video is so much of its time further confirms this.
Would have been top 10 in UK charts in 80-82 probably #1 in 1980.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 3:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
This might be the "Most 80s" video. Lots of goofy jump-cuts, slow motion stuff, nothing making a lick of sense. I know I loved it (song and video) when it came out—still in the heady rush of discovering punk and post-punk—but now it's more than a bit cringing.
If they had recorded / released Seattle 80-82 instead of later 80’s I reckon it would have been a big hit.
PiL post-Levene stopped sounding weird and vaguely futuristic, but instead sounded like other bands around them. "Seattle" is a perfectly nice alternative rock song from the late 80s. It's music meant to sell records, not to challenge or confound or reject. That the video is so much of its time further confirms this.
I'm with Doc that "Seattle" is a solid rock tune. I like and enjoy it but after Levene left and as good a player that McGeoch is they had lost their post punk edge. I also think that in that late 80s quagmire it was a decent track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 4:39pm
101Walterton wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 3:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm with Doc that "Seattle" is a solid rock tune. I like and enjoy it but after Levene left and as good a player that McGeoch is they had lost their post punk edge. I also think that in that late 80s quagmire it was a decent track.
Sorry my post was nothing to do with the quality of the track in the PIL catalogue more to do with timing and songs that were successful in 80-81.
Rotten was still very popular and that song has a commercial radio friendly vibe and would have sat comfortably amongst other songs that made #1 around 1980. By 1987 things had moved on.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Still love everything about this, from the girl group style of the song to the perfectly skeezy Paul.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 6:37pm

Still love everything about this, from the girl group style of the song to the perfectly skeezy Paul.
Funnily enough a friend just posted this a couple of hours ago on Facebook, it really is an excellent song.

I think I posted this before but I love this cover of it. It's just some bedroom guy on YouTube but he pulls off a wonderful Byrdsian take on it. The timing is a little wobbly in places but I love his vocals.

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 6:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Funnily enough a friend just posted this a couple of hours ago on Facebook, it really is an excellent song.

I think I posted this before but I love this cover of it. It's just some bedroom guy on YouTube but he pulls off a wonderful Byrdsian take on it. The timing is a little wobbly in places but I love his vocals.

Good call on the Byrds take. His voice reminds me of someone in particular but I can't pull it free from my brain stem.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

I forgot she had a brief music career.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 9:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've been able to shake this vision of unvarnished England. When I was a kid watching this I thought, "They're just like us but English!".*

*Also, we need more Tracey Ullman in the world.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 9:15pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've been able to shake this vision of unvarnished England. When I was a kid watching this I thought, "They're just like us but English!".*

To quote Cherry Trail "No Doubt".

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 6:51pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Good call on the Byrds take. His voice reminds me of someone in particular but I can't pull it free from my brain stem.
Distinct Barry Manilowish vibes for me. But its not a bad cover, one of those classicly simple pop songs, you want to be seven shades of awful to actually muck it up.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 9:15pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Agreed.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 9:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Distinct Barry Manilowish vibes for me. But its not a bad cover, one of those classicly simple pop songs, you want to be seven shades of awful to actually muck it up.
Barry Manilow? I don't hear that at all. Maybe I'm listening to the wrong Bazza songs. ;)
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 3:31am
Low Down Low wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 9:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Barry Manilow? I don't hear that at all. Maybe I'm listening to the wrong Bazza songs. ;)
Hah, probably way off. Didnt mean it as an insult, just for some reason bazza popped into my head while listening. There's also a particular beach boys vocal in back of my head though cant pin it down. You can overthink these things!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 6:08pm
X3 via the Watford gap. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia