The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Marky Dread »

Awesome cover.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 12:14pm
Awesome cover.

Wow, rather odd choice for a cover but a good one too. Always liked the original but that’s even better, much more guitar based and all the better for it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 8:10pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Awesome cover.

Wow, rather odd choice for a cover but a good one too. Always liked the original but that’s even better, much more guitar based and all the better for it.
I like the original also. I agree that this cover is better.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 2:53pm
Low Down Low wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 8:10pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Awesome cover.

I like the original also. I agree that this cover is better.
A great cover. Manics have done their share of obscure covers...but always with a degree of love and reverence.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm pretty sure I heard parts of Lincoln before this—"Ana Ng" and "Kiss Me, Son of God"—but this is what sold me on TMBG.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

When Bad Manners went all Hip Hop on us...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Heston

Post by Heston »

laxman wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 6:53pm
This was posted a few weeks ago, I really like it. Great riffing.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Heston wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 7:16pm
laxman wrote:
It was just with the lyrics before, not with the video, which looks pretty good to me.

Heston

Post by Heston »

laxman wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 7:21pm
Heston wrote:
laxman wrote:
It was just with the lyrics before, not with the video, which looks pretty good to me.
When you think how redundant bands like The Rolling Stones sounded as they reached 50, it is quite an achievement for the Manics to still sound so good.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 7:46pm
laxman wrote:
Heston wrote:
laxman wrote:
When you think how redundant bands like The Rolling Stones sounded as they reached 50, it is quite an achievement for the Manics to still sound so good.
Uhm, can you name one other band that is "like" the Stones?

And that Manic Street Preachers song is as forgettable, cliched, forced, and overplayed/produced as all those other identi-kit Brit-pop bands from the '90s. So there.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 2:44am
Heston wrote:
laxman wrote:
Heston wrote:
laxman wrote:

And that Manic Street Preachers song is as forgettable, cliched, forced, and overplayed/produced as all those other identi-kit Brit-pop bands from the '90s. So there.
I thought you would like that song considering how much it sounds like Big Country.

I just think albums like Bridges To Babylon were corporate awfulness. Another commodity tacked on to their humongous world tours, the musical equivalent of a hot dog.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 3:39am
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
laxman wrote:
Heston wrote:

I thought you would like that song considering how much it sounds like Big Country.

I just think albums like Bridges To Babylon were corporate awfulness. Another commodity tacked on to their humongous world tours, the musical equivalent of a hot dog.
Other than a nice chordal lead guitar tone, it sounds absolutely nothing like Big Country. More like a mix of Oasis and Pearl Jam.

And face it - you will never mistake the Stones for anyone else and vice versa. And every single album they've ever released has at least a couple classics, and the rest good/very good. Never has a band/artist (since Otis Redding) had a such a consistent catalog whereby you don't feel the need to skip a song - even a ballad/slow song - in a festive/ party/ love-making atmosphere. Prove me wrong, mate.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 5:01am
Heston wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 3:39am
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
laxman wrote:

Other than a nice chordal lead guitar tone, it sounds absolutely nothing like Big Country. More like a mix of Oasis and Pearl Jam.

And face it - you will never mistake the Stones for anyone else and vice versa. And every single album they've ever released has at least a couple classics, and the rest good/very good. Never has a band/artist (since Otis Redding) had a such a consistent catalog whereby you don't feel the need to skip a song - even a ballad/slow song - in a festive/ party/ love-making atmosphere. Prove me wrong, mate.
Sounds nothing like Oasis and especially Pearl Jam to me. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, I thought the Stones were awful after about 1983.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 7:01pm
When Bad Manners went all Hip Hop on us...

I was never big on Bad Manners and apart from compilation albums I don’t have any of their records however Spotify for some reason loved to play them for me and I have to say they were a good band. I just never warmed to Buster and the above just adds fuel to my fire.
Ironic we are discussing Buster on PH birthday as he posted a picture of them together on here.