The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Stuck in my head this morning …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This is a Calgary band who used to be called Viet Cong but changed their name to the more pedestrian Preoccupations after getting tired of criticism over their original name. They're clearly influenced by late 70s, early 80s post-punk, tho they don't sound like they're obviously copying (to my ears, anyway). I can definitely hear Chameleons in them, but it's harder to nail other bands in their sound.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Rat Patrol wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 9:03pm
They were great around this time. Add the peel sessions to this show and you have the best of AI.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 10:00pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 9:03pm
They were great around this time. Add the peel sessions to this show and you have the best of AI.
Put out some great singles!!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Finally picked up a copy of the album on vinyl.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just popped in my head. An achingly gorgeous version.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Back in '86, Sigue Sigue Sputnik completely entranced the cool crowd (and me) in my high school. So over the top and weird—visually and sonically—but there seemed something kinda dangerous about what they were doing. Or at least living in Asswipe, SK. Flaunt It doesn't crack even my top 50 favourite albums, but it's an undeniable 80s touchstone.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

When did Jonesy turn into a Yankee Doodle Dandy would the people of LA not understand his West Laaanden patoir.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 1:50am
When did Jonesy turn into a Yankee Doodle Dandy would the people of LA not understand his West Laaanden patoir.

He's only taking the piss for the first few minutes then it's back to old Steve. Just to have the crack with Cookie.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 8:21pm

Back in '86, Sigue Sigue Sputnik completely entranced the cool crowd (and me) in my high school. So over the top and weird—visually and sonically—but there seemed something kinda dangerous about what they were doing. Or at least living in Asswipe, SK. Flaunt It doesn't crack even my top 50 favourite albums, but it's an undeniable 80s touchstone.
Id never heard of these guys until a certain someone with a connection to this board refused to share some rare Pogues tracks unless I could provide some SSS songs. This was probably early 90s pre mp3 days as I was still trading cassettes at the time. I left it at that. Ive never not shared rareities with people.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 3:52pm
Id never heard of these guys until a certain someone with a connection to this board refused to share some rare Pogues tracks unless I could provide some SSS songs. This was probably early 90s pre mp3 days as I was still trading cassettes at the time. I left it at that. Ive never not shared rareities with people.
I have never understood that mentality. I became friends with a wonderful fellow who was selling a fairly rare Colin Newman cd on eBay. I didn't win the auction, but I contacted him after to see whether he'd sell me a cd-r of the disc—I wanted the songs, not the object—and he immediately said yes, no charge. Which led to a whole of lot of sharing since.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 7:55am
101Walterton wrote:

He's only taking the piss for the first few minutes then it's back to old Steve. Just to have the crack with Cookie.

He does but then he keeps going back to it. I’ve watched quite a few (he has some good guests) and he always does the accent.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 4:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 7:55am
101Walterton wrote:

He does but then he keeps going back to it. I’ve watched quite a few (he has some good guests) and he always does the accent.
It's just a put on. I quite enjoy his shows.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 4:21pm
revbob wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 3:52pm
I have never understood that mentality. I became friends with a wonderful fellow who was selling a fairly rare Colin Newman cd on eBay. I didn't win the auction, but I contacted him after to see whether he'd sell me a cd-r of the disc—I wanted the songs, not the object—and he immediately said yes, no charge. Which led to a whole of lot of sharing since.
Yeah this guy just had cassette dubs he got from someone else.
But after learning a little more about him I now see the whole picture.