The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 12:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 2:23pm

Thinking a bit about the small discussion Hoy and I had the other day about the viability of STH as a single given its lyrics and sombre sound, and weird out-of-nowhere hits. A long time ago, I brought up MARRS' "Pump Up the Volume"—still my gold standard for something utterly outside what was happening on the charts at the time (but certainly not in the alternative or underground scene)—as one example, but Laurie Anderson's much weirder "O Superman," which made it to #2 in the UK. As fascinating sounding as it is, what on earth was going on in Hestonland that would cause it to soar up the singles charts?
Wow, I've never heard of this. All it needed was an edit to bring it under 4 minutes and it would have made it to #1!
That's an additional baffling thing—as far as I know, there was no edit for a 7" release, just the proper 8-minute track. If I ever need an example to illustrate the turmoil of the record business and its loss of control after disco, I'll point to "O Superman" as a genuine hit single. Its success as pop is batshit.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 11:51am
101Walterton wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 2:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 2:23pm

Thinking a bit about the small discussion Hoy and I had the other day about the viability of STH as a single given its lyrics and sombre sound, and weird out-of-nowhere hits. A long time ago, I brought up MARRS' "Pump Up the Volume"—still my gold standard for something utterly outside what was happening on the charts at the time (but certainly not in the alternative or underground scene)—as one example, but Laurie Anderson's much weirder "O Superman," which made it to #2 in the UK. As fascinating sounding as it is, what on earth was going on in Hestonland that would cause it to soar up the singles charts?
There is no logical explanation but listening just now brought it all back.
It is why people stop and stare at car crash, watch Coronation Street, eat Vindaloo curry or poke a bruise. It is hypnotic and addictive. You can’t look away and the pain draws you in.
There have been other cases.
Is the John Peel factor not the logical explanation? It was only when Peel started playing it that they decided to release it in the UK. Dont think it was ever played on TOPT and was only in the charts for 4 or 5 weeks.
It's repetitive and irritating. In the 80's if something came out of the blue like this it would become a hit. With regards to The Clash and StH having the same effect it didn't work that way bcause they were already an established act and held no mystery to the record buying public.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Not quite as Leftfield but equally baffling as to how it made a hit, a video and TOTP is this pile of shit;

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 1:26pm
Not quite as Leftfield but equally baffling as to how it made a hit, a video and TOTP is this pile of shit;

Like some third rate Genesis. :meh:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 2:20pm
101Walterton wrote:

I understand why some may like some of their later singles like Kaylee (or whatever it was called) but there is nothing likeable about this song at all, no hook no melody no catchy chorus it is just annoying.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 2:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 2:20pm
101Walterton wrote:

I understand why some may like some of their later singles like Kaylee (or whatever it was called) but there is nothing likeable about this song at all, no hook no melody no catchy chorus it is just annoying.
As a pop kid at the time I hated them. These gnarly hippies intruding on the charts,

This is another shit song by them from around that time, the "futuristic" graphics in the video are laughable.

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

How did The Specials not get a cover of this to #1
I know they covered it later and Selecter played it live but it should have been up there with Rudy et al

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 8:31pm

I know they covered it later and Selecter played it live but it should have been up there with Rudy et al
Incredible.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:

Probably because it was such a big hit. The stuff they covered was well known from compilations but not quite so familliar as Double Barrel.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 4:44am
101Walterton wrote:

Probably because it was such a big hit. The stuff they covered was well known from compilations but not quite so familliar as Double Barrel.
It is up there with Liquidator as one of the best 1st wave.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 5:09am
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

I agree but they never recorded Liqjidator as a studio take it's only a live favourite.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 12:36pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

I agree but they never recorded Liqjidator as a studio take it's only a live favourite.
True. The Skinhead Symphony on b side of Too Much’ is perfect, well it could have been more perfect. The Specials did a great live version of Madness (Live at Lyceum) but haven’t heard them do a live DB. My dream would be a live album of all the covers.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 2:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

True. The Skinhead Symphony on b side of Too Much’ is perfect, well it could have been more perfect. The Specials did a great live version of Madness (Live at Lyceum) but haven’t heard them do a live DB. My dream would be a live album of all the covers.
I also expect they would've had one eye over their shoulders as to what covers The Selecter/Madness/The Beat were releasing and making sure they didn't release too many cover versions as opposed to original material themselves.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 2:39pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I also expect they would've had one eye over their shoulders as to what covers The Selecter/Madness/The Beat were releasing and making sure they didn't release too many cover versions as opposed to original material themselves.
As they all relied heavily on covers they needed some originals to make any money!!!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 2:47pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 2:39pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

As they all relied heavily on covers they needed some originals to make any money!!!
Yeah I'm sure that played a part. But intially it was about establishing themselves in the charts. All the Two-Tone bands started with a cover versions in one form or another as A or B-sides all though The Prince by Madness was not a cover it was a tribute and borrows the majority of it's lyrical content from Prince Buster song titles. Interestingly The Selecter first track was an original but was recoreded way earlier in '77-'78 as the track Kingston Affair long before Pauline joined the group.

It does make you wonder how successful those bands would of been without the reliance of covers.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia