The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84564
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 26 Sep 2019, 1:32pm

BitterTom wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 1:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 1:02pm
BitterTom wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 1:00pm
Can I say Hey Jude is incredibly overrated? Plenty of better tunes I would stick ahead.
Is it overrated? It seems most people dislike it now. I still think it's fantastic. Its core is that perfect Beatles humanism, naive but so sincere.
I always got the impression anyway that it was regarded as one of their best numbers but could be wrong of course. As a song, it's just a little dull that really doesn't do much for me. Especially compared to possibly my top 3 Beatles songs, And I Love Her, If I Fell and Nowhere Man. I've been unfairly harsh on The Beatles here granted, but those 3 are perfection.
No, for the longest time, the consensus was that it was the Beatles' greatest single, but I haven't heard many say that in years and years. I'm not a great person to ask for opinions about the Beatles, tho. There are only a handful of songs I thing are genuinely not good. I compare their stuff against each other.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 11033
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Kory » 26 Sep 2019, 2:43pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 1:01pm
Kory wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 12:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 9:59am
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/ ... les-ranked

A ranking of the Beatles' singles. No quibble with #1, but "Paperback Writer" at #3 is a headscratcher to me. Judging it by other Beatles songs, it seems rather thin to me. Ho-hum, just another solid bit of mid-period work, nothing that stands out.
They have some fairly negative things to say about Day Tripper, but it's #6. I hate lists.
I've come to hate lists, too, but they do have the virtue of provoking discussion.
Shut your mouth!
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 11033
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Kory » 26 Sep 2019, 2:48pm

BitterTom wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 1:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 1:02pm
BitterTom wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 1:00pm
Can I say Hey Jude is incredibly overrated? Plenty of better tunes I would stick ahead.
Is it overrated? It seems most people dislike it now. I still think it's fantastic. Its core is that perfect Beatles humanism, naive but so sincere.
I always got the impression anyway that it was regarded as one of their best numbers but could be wrong of course. As a song, it's just a little dull that really doesn't do much for me. Especially compared to possibly my top 3 Beatles songs, And I Love Her, If I Fell and Nowhere Man. I've been unfairly harsh on The Beatles here granted, but those 3 are perfection.
Welp, now I have Nowhere Man stuck in my head. Man, I can't believe there was ever a time that I didn't like this band.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84564
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 26 Sep 2019, 2:54pm

Kory wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 2:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 1:01pm
Kory wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 12:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 9:59am
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/ ... les-ranked

A ranking of the Beatles' singles. No quibble with #1, but "Paperback Writer" at #3 is a headscratcher to me. Judging it by other Beatles songs, it seems rather thin to me. Ho-hum, just another solid bit of mid-period work, nothing that stands out.
They have some fairly negative things to say about Day Tripper, but it's #6. I hate lists.
I've come to hate lists, too, but they do have the virtue of provoking discussion.
Shut your mouth!
Well, that kind of sass has no place in a Beatles thread. Save that for the Rolling Stones thread, monsieur.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 43580
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Marky Dread » 26 Sep 2019, 4:09pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 2:54pm
Kory wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 2:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 1:01pm
Kory wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 12:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 9:59am
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/ ... les-ranked

A ranking of the Beatles' singles. No quibble with #1, but "Paperback Writer" at #3 is a headscratcher to me. Judging it by other Beatles songs, it seems rather thin to me. Ho-hum, just another solid bit of mid-period work, nothing that stands out.
They have some fairly negative things to say about Day Tripper, but it's #6. I hate lists.
I've come to hate lists, too, but they do have the virtue of provoking discussion.
Shut your mouth!
Well, that kind of sass has no place in a Beatles thread. Save that for the Rolling Stones thread, monsieur.
Button your lip....
Image

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 31433
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Heston » 02 Oct 2019, 1:07pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 1:02pm
BitterTom wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 1:00pm
Can I say Hey Jude is incredibly overrated? Plenty of better tunes I would stick ahead.
Is it overrated? It seems most people dislike it now. I still think it's fantastic. Its core is that perfect Beatles humanism, naive but so sincere.
I love Hey Jude and I'm pretty sure most Beatles fans do as well.

The list is ok but I would have The Ballad of John and Yoko much a higher, it's a great song and performance. Anyone who doesn't put Yellow Submarine at the bottom of a list of Beatles singles is clinically insane.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84564
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 02 Oct 2019, 1:30pm

Heston wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 1:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 1:02pm
BitterTom wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 1:00pm
Can I say Hey Jude is incredibly overrated? Plenty of better tunes I would stick ahead.
Is it overrated? It seems most people dislike it now. I still think it's fantastic. Its core is that perfect Beatles humanism, naive but so sincere.
I love Hey Jude and I'm pretty sure most Beatles fans do as well.

The list is ok but I would have The Ballad of John and Yoko much a higher, it's a great song and performance. Anyone who doesn't put Yellow Submarine at the bottom of a list of Beatles singles is clinically insane.
The only knock I have against Ballad is that it's rather bitter, which isn't really what we expect or want from Beatles records. That said, I enjoy the snarky middle finger to those who were outraged about John's "bigger than Jesus" comment. In retrospect, you can see that he no longer gave a fuck about continuing the Beatles myth.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 43580
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Oct 2019, 4:52pm

I agree about "Ballad" being a great track. "Hey Jude" also excellent but "Something" is a boring turd of a song and "Come Together" eats it for breakfast.
Image

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 31433
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Heston » 02 Oct 2019, 4:54pm

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 4:52pm
I agree about "Ballad" being a great track. "Hey Jude" also excellent but "Something" is a boring turd of a song and "Come Together" eats it for breakfast.
I like "Something" but it's all about the bass playing and the brilliant middle 8 for me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 43580
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Oct 2019, 4:57pm

Heston wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 4:54pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 4:52pm
I agree about "Ballad" being a great track. "Hey Jude" also excellent but "Something" is a boring turd of a song and "Come Together" eats it for breakfast.
I like "Something" but it's all about the bass playing and the brilliant middle 8 for me.
Nothing too wrong with either of those but fine bass playing and a great middle 8 do not make it a good song.
Image

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 31433
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Heston » 02 Oct 2019, 5:06pm

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 4:57pm
Heston wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 4:54pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 4:52pm
I agree about "Ballad" being a great track. "Hey Jude" also excellent but "Something" is a boring turd of a song and "Come Together" eats it for breakfast.
I like "Something" but it's all about the bass playing and the brilliant middle 8 for me.
Nothing too wrong with either of those but fine bass playing and a great middle 8 do not make it a good song.
The rest of it is decent enough imo. Better than the sitar crap he did. ;)

While My Guitar Gently Weeps is the overrated George song for me. The acoustic version on Anthology is nice but the LP version is just overcooked, and has added Clapton.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 43580
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Oct 2019, 6:13pm

Heston wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 5:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 4:57pm
Heston wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 4:54pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 4:52pm
I agree about "Ballad" being a great track. "Hey Jude" also excellent but "Something" is a boring turd of a song and "Come Together" eats it for breakfast.
I like "Something" but it's all about the bass playing and the brilliant middle 8 for me.
Nothing too wrong with either of those but fine bass playing and a great middle 8 do not make it a good song.
The rest of it is decent enough imo. Better than the sitar crap he did. ;)

While My Guitar Gently Weeps is the overrated George song for me. The acoustic version on Anthology is nice but the LP version is just overcooked, and has added Clapton.
I've never been a fan of "Something" just something I don't like about it. ;)
Image

IkarisOne
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2998
Joined: 24 Aug 2008, 10:09pm

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by IkarisOne » 02 Oct 2019, 6:16pm

I'm thinking about how this was one of my favorite Beatles songs until someone told it wasn't the Beatles, many, many years later.

That guitarist is hot shit. Awesome fuzztone.



Conversely, this was my favorite Springsteen song for only a few days.


Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84564
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 02 Oct 2019, 6:24pm

Heston wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 5:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 4:57pm
Heston wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 4:54pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 4:52pm
I agree about "Ballad" being a great track. "Hey Jude" also excellent but "Something" is a boring turd of a song and "Come Together" eats it for breakfast.
I like "Something" but it's all about the bass playing and the brilliant middle 8 for me.
Nothing too wrong with either of those but fine bass playing and a great middle 8 do not make it a good song.
The rest of it is decent enough imo. Better than the sitar crap he did. ;)

While My Guitar Gently Weeps is the overrated George song for me. The acoustic version on Anthology is nice but the LP version is just overcooked, and has added Clapton.
Agreed re. "Something," and I used to think "Guitar" was overrated, but when I heard the 2018 remaster, I was blown away. And I just pretend Clapton was busy treating backstage staff respectfully somewhere else, so they got, I dunno, Jimmy Page.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

IkarisOne
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2998
Joined: 24 Aug 2008, 10:09pm

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by IkarisOne » 02 Oct 2019, 6:48pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 6:24pm
Heston wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 5:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 4:57pm
Heston wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 4:54pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 4:52pm
I agree about "Ballad" being a great track. "Hey Jude" also excellent but "Something" is a boring turd of a song and "Come Together" eats it for breakfast.
I like "Something" but it's all about the bass playing and the brilliant middle 8 for me.
Nothing too wrong with either of those but fine bass playing and a great middle 8 do not make it a good song.
The rest of it is decent enough imo. Better than the sitar crap he did. ;)

While My Guitar Gently Weeps is the overrated George song for me. The acoustic version on Anthology is nice but the LP version is just overcooked, and has added Clapton.
Agreed re. "Something," and I used to think "Guitar" was overrated, but when I heard the 2018 remaster, I was blown away. And I just pretend Clapton was busy treating backstage staff respectfully somewhere else, so they got, I dunno, Jimmy Page.

Clapton was not yet the tool he later became in 1968. Just adding that to the mix.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: drowninghere and 11 guests