The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 2:28pm
I guess I was thinking about how people really seemed to not like them much anymore by that time. but history would have you believe that Beatlemania lasted forever. People think the Beatles were huge in America right off too, but they had the Dave Clark Five to compete with and that gets glossed over as well.
Cracks definitely developed by 1966, whether it's different approaches to music—how baffling must "Tomorrow Never Knows" have been?—or John's Jesus comment or them being clearly bored of touring. And, yeah, there were so many more bands to choose from, including those who were less challenging. The Beatles story after 1965 isn't this endless victory lap but, as McKinney argues, conflictual and increasingly divergent from the audience. Personally, a story of constant struggle is more appealing to me than one where people sit around waiting for god to come out and bestow gifts every few weeks.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Learned of this a couple weeks ago and watched it this morning. It's a VH1 movie that speculates/fictionalizes the day that John and Paul got together in 1975 and almost went on SNL as a lark. Lots of forced exposition—Remember when we got together with Harry Nilsson during your Lost Weekend when you separated from Yoko? says Paul—and other clumsy dialogue ensures that it never overcomes being a tv movie. Go in with low expectations and it's passable.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 7:42am
Learned of this a couple weeks ago and watched it this morning. It's a VH1 movie that speculates/fictionalizes the day that John and Paul got together in 1975 and almost went on SNL as a lark. Lots of forced exposition—Remember when we got together with Harry Nilsson during your Lost Weekend when you separated from Yoko? says Paul—and other clumsy dialogue ensures that it never overcomes being a tv movie. Go in with low expectations and it's passable.
I remember seeing this not long after it came out. I agree - passable - but enjoyable. I think the story of them almost going on SNL is actually true. Nice to think that maybe there was at least a bit of friendship still there.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Beatles really were my first exposure to music. My dad was born in 1950 - so he was right in the wheelhouse of Beatlemania and I remember as a kid - all of his records were stacked on a shelf in our laundry room and I'd look at them as I'd walk by (Let it Be was on top). One day - I finally decided to haul some upstairs and put them on and I was immediately drawn in.

My favorite LP has changed throughout the years. I'd say Rubber Soul is my current fave. Just a brilliant recording.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 2:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 7:42am
I remember seeing this not long after it came out. I agree - passable - but enjoyable. I think the story of them almost going on SNL is actually true. Nice to think that maybe there was at least a bit of friendship still there.
Yeah, them considering going down to the studio to take Lorne Michaels up on his offer is true. The movie has Paul as the one killing the idea, but I would bet Inder's life that I've read it was John who was the curmudgeon.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Did you ever hear their "first" reunion?, there's a bootleg out there I think called "A toot and a snore" I dl'd it once and it was so awful

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

coffeepotman wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 5:19pm
Did you ever hear their "first" reunion?, there's a bootleg out there I think called "A toot and a snore" I dl'd it once and it was so awful
I haven't heard it (yet), but it's here:

I'll try to listen later tonight, assuming the whisky takes hold.

edit: Ugh. File under: Dicking around. If one wants to attach any significance to this, what a depressing final musical recording of Lennon and McCartney.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 3:18pm
but I would bet Inder's life that I've read it was John who was the curmudgeon.
:shifty:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 5:25pm
coffeepotman wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 5:19pm
I haven't heard it (yet), but it's here:

I'll try to listen later tonight, assuming the whisky takes hold.

edit: Ugh. File under: Dicking around. If one wants to attach any significance to this, what a depressing final musical recording of Lennon and McCartney.
Yeah, it's pretty bad.

I believe Paul went to see John in LA at Yoko's request to feel Lennon out for a reunion (between John and Yoko, who were basically separated during the Lost Weekend stuff). According to some writers, Macca played a not insignificant role in their reconciliation... and somehow got screwed anyway when he tried to renew their songwriting partnership/sort out their joint business concerns.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 8:55pm
I believe Paul went to see John in LA at Yoko's request to feel Lennon out for a reunion (between John and Yoko, who were basically separated during the Lost Weekend stuff). According to some writers, Macca played a not insignificant role in their reconciliation... and somehow got screwed anyway when he tried to renew their songwriting partnership/sort out their joint business concerns.
I think I've read that it was while John and Yoko were separated and he started up May Pang that she encouraged him to reconnect with Paul. And it seemed to be moving in the direction of restarting their partnership, then he got back together with Yoko and it was like flipping a switch off. Maybe it's more Yoko-as-monster stuff or maybe Yoko really is a monster.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 6:47am
Inder wrote:
I think I've read that it was while John and Yoko were separated and he started up May Pang that she encouraged him to reconnect with Paul. And it seemed to be moving in the direction of restarting their partnership, then he got back together with Yoko and it was like flipping a switch off. Maybe it's more Yoko-as-monster stuff or maybe Yoko really is a monster.
Or maybe she knew the magic was gone and they had a good chance of embarrassing themselves? I dunno.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 12:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 6:47am
Inder wrote:
Or maybe she knew the magic was gone and they had a good chance of embarrassing themselves? I dunno.
All she had to do was listen to John's albums after Imagine to know that he probably needed a musical partner not rhyming with Poco Bono.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 12:38pm
All she had to do was listen to John's albums after Imagine to know that he probably needed a musical partner not rhyming with Poco Bono.
I think Some Time in New York City is probably Lennon's most underrated album, fwiw.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Flex wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 12:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think Some Time in New York City is probably Lennon's most underrated album, fwiw.
It's really good.

Even the Yoko track swings — genuine Spector magic.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 1:05pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's really good.

In a word, blech. All the Beatles' best solo stuff came out in that first burst after Abbey Road. Then the long and winding mediocre road awaits.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 1:18pm
Inder wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 1:05pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's really good.

In a word, blech. All the Beatles' best solo stuff came out in that first burst after Abbey Road. Then the long and winding mediocre road awaits.
Ahem.