WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 8:00pm
tepista wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 7:46pm
What, is he dying? I just heard a buncha other shit he said.
An insanely good interview with him was just published: http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/quincy-j ... ation.html
This is one of the best interviews I've ever read from a musician. Brutally honest and very, very funny. Thank you for sharing!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

tepista wrote:

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Inder wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 12:21am
tepista wrote:
exactly
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

FYI, SiriusXM's Beatles channel is doing the Top 50 Beatles love songs for Valentine's Day. Kinda fun.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 1:08pm
FYI, SiriusXM's Beatles channel is doing the Top 50 Beatles love songs for Valentine's Day. Kinda fun.
Where does "Run For Your Life" slot? :twitch:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 1:11pm
Well we're only in the 20s so I'm assuming it's in the top 10 somewhere. :shifty:

Addendum: Til There Was You is like #22. What a lovely song, one of my faves.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm guessing "Something" will be #1—I've never quite understood its classic status, but that's not the first time—but off-hand I'd go with "And I Love Her."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 1:27pm
I'm guessing "Something" will be #1—I've never quite understood its classic status, but that's not the first time—but off-hand I'd go with "And I Love Her."
Something used to annoy me because I thought it was so colossally overrated. I still think that, but I try not to let that sort of thing bug me so much now.

I'd maybe pick Don't Let Me Down. Alternatively: Here Comes the Sun.

Pex Lives!

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
The Internet discovered Run For Your Life five years ago and won't shut up about it. Every fucking moron online will flock to a Beatles post on Reddit or something and it's all "DID YOU KNOW HE SAID HE'D KILL A WOMAN? V PROBLEMATIC." Nevermind that Lennon lifted the offending line from an Elvis song, anyway.

It's like, Joe Strummer's dad robbed banks, y'know?

Flex

Post by Flex »

Inder wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 2:13pm
The Internet discovered Run For Your Life five years ago and won't shut up about it. Every fucking moron online will flock to a Beatles post on Reddit or something and it's all "DID YOU KNOW HE SAID HE'D KILL A WOMAN? V PROBLEMATIC."

I don't really disagree that songs shouldn't necessarily be read as autobiographical or condoning whatever their subject matter is or whatever by default, but I'd also say songs about fucking over bankers have aged better than songs about fucking up women, imho

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
The Internet discovered Run For Your Life five years ago and won't shut up about it. Every fucking moron online will flock to a Beatles post on Reddit or something and it's all "DID YOU KNOW HE SAID HE'D KILL A WOMAN? V PROBLEMATIC." Nevermind that Lennon lifted the offending line from an Elvis song, anyway.

He also later expressed regret about the song (I think he called it his least favourite Beatles song), but, hey, the text exists, it's ugly, and it's fair game for use in conversation, serious or otherwise. The song is revelatory for its hints of his darker nature and troubled/troubling relationship he had with women in his life. The dude wrestled with demons that poked out in his art. He expressed wonderful ideals and dreams and was plagued by ugly anxieties about women.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Flex wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 2:17pm
Inder wrote:
The Internet discovered Run For Your Life five years ago and won't shut up about it. Every fucking moron online will flock to a Beatles post on Reddit or something and it's all "DID YOU KNOW HE SAID HE'D KILL A WOMAN? V PROBLEMATIC."

I don't really disagree that songs shouldn't necessarily be read as autobiographical or condoning whatever their subject matter is or whatever by default, but I'd also say songs about fucking over bankers have aged better than songs about fucking up women, imho
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 2:32pm
Inder wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

He also later expressed regret about the song (I think he called it his least favourite Beatles song), but, hey, the text exists, it's ugly, and it's fair game for use in conversation, serious or otherwise. The song is revelatory for its hints of his darker nature and troubled/troubling relationship he had with women in his life. The dude wrestled with demons that poked out in his art. He expressed wonderful ideals and dreams and was plagued by ugly anxieties about women.
He said he didn't like it because it was a nothing/"work song" that he didn't think on for too long. He used "I'd rather see you dead little girl / than to be with another man" from Elvis's Baby Let's Play House as a motif and built the song around the thing of an unhinged jealous man.
From the same period, same time, I never liked "Run For Your Life," because it was a song I just knocked off. It was inspired from – this is a very vague connection – from "Baby Let's Play House." There was a line on it – I used to like specific lines from songs – "I'd rather see you dead, little girl, than to be with another man" – so I wrote it around that but I didn't think it was that important.
I'd suggest the idea that the song is "ugly" because of its subject is a matter of individual taste and sensibility. It's a teatime drama, not a manifesto.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 2:45pm
He said he didn't like it because it was a nothing/"work song" that he didn't think on for too long. He used "I'd rather see you dead little girl / than to be with another man" from Elvis's Baby Let's Play House as a motif and built the song around the thing of an unhinged jealous man.
From the same period, same time, I never liked "Run For Your Life," because it was a song I just knocked off. It was inspired from – this is a very vague connection – from "Baby Let's Play House." There was a line on it – I used to like specific lines from songs – "I'd rather see you dead, little girl, than to be with another man" – so I wrote it around that but I didn't think it was that important.
I'd suggest the idea that the song is "ugly" because of its subject is a matter of individual taste and sensibility. It's a teatime drama, not a manifesto.
Huh. I assumed that his dislike was related to his heavy sessions of analysis that he was engaged in in the early 70s. I guess a person could play armchair psychiatrist about it all, but I find it disappointing that his self-criticism was limited to just being lazy. Oh well.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

You could probably formulate a worthwhile critique of the song while grounding it within its artistic/musical context, but I've yet to encounter anything approaching thoughtful on the Internet.

Anyways, this is the danger of taking art too literally:

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I've always quite liked Run For Your Life. I think my days standing in the Woke trenches are behind me.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/