Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 5:32pm
Kory wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 5:20pm
tepista wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 4:25pm
I heard someone talking to my young co-worker about the Beatles, so when she came out I asked her if she knew who the Beatles were and she said "Of course I know who the Beatles are, I see their billboard every day when I drive home, they're having a "meet-and-greet", one of them's name is "Steve", right?"
Who the hell were they thinking of?
Speculation: The billboard was for a radio station's drive time crew that plays all the classic hits, from the Beatles to Taylor Swift!
Well Shake it up Stevie, now
(Shake it up Stevie)
Meet and Greet!
(Meet and greet)
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 5:32pm
Kory wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 5:20pm
tepista wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 4:25pm
I heard someone talking to my young co-worker about the Beatles, so when she came out I asked her if she knew who the Beatles were and she said "Of course I know who the Beatles are, I see their billboard every day when I drive home, they're having a "meet-and-greet", one of them's name is "Steve", right?"
Who the hell were they thinking of?
Speculation: The billboard was for a radio station's drive time crew that plays all the classic hits, from the Beatles to Taylor Swift!
Milliennials are so fun.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

TIL, according to Lennon, "Ticket to Ride" refers to the clean bill certificate that Hamburg prostitutes would receive so that they could go back to work. McCartney's explanation is a lot more benign. I really want to believe Lennon's version as I love a sly dirty joke.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Mean Mr Mustard came on random earlier whilst out with the dog and can't get it out of my head. Someone on here said that John hated that small collection of songs on Abbey Road that are linked together (101?)

Anyway, I'm rather fond, Mustard in particular.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BitterTom wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 4:19pm
Mean Mr Mustard came on random earlier whilst out with the dog and can't get it out of my head. Someone on here said that John hated that small collection of songs on Abbey Road that are linked together (101?)

Might have been me that said it. He called it "junk"—a bunch of undeveloped songs stapled together. He was being way too harsh, tho. Or, rather, even undeveloped Beatles songs kick more ass than most bands' best efforts.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 4:59pm
BitterTom wrote:

Might have been me that said it. He called it "junk"—a bunch of undeveloped songs stapled together. He was being way too harsh, tho. Or, rather, even undeveloped Beatles songs kick more ass than most bands' best efforts.
Agreed he was being too harsh, I'm far from the biggest Beatles fan but they were good numbers.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just downloaded The Beatles cartoon. Looking forward to finally understanding why they were popular.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:

I really like Polythene Pam despite it sounding like Oasis.

I love the Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End sequence, it still gets me genuinely emotional when I hear it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 5:39pm
I love the Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End sequence, it still gets me genuinely emotional when I hear it.
The thing I like about "The End" is Ringo's solo. He'd always rejected drum solos because he thought it wasn't proper for a drummer to draw attention like that, but knowing this was the last hurrah the others persuaded him to do it.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 6:27pm
Heston wrote:
The thing I like about "The End" is Ringo's solo. He'd always rejected drum solos because he thought it wasn't proper for a drummer to draw attention like that, but knowing this was the last hurrah the others persuaded him to do it.
It is one of very few drum solos I like. It may actually be the only one.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 6:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
It's as understated a drum solo as I can think of.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 6:44pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
It's the constant bass drum I dig. I wonder what Matey thinks of it, would be nice to get a drummer's point of view on it.

To be fair, most drummers seem to appreciate how great Ringo was, it seems to be the man in the street who most commonly falls for the old "Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles" joke.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 6:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
It's the constant bass drum I dig. I wonder what Matey thinks of it, would be nice to get a drummer's point of view on it.

To be fair, most drummers seem to appreciate how great Ringo was, it seems to be the man in the street who most commonly falls for the old "Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles" joke.
In Canada, the explanation can be fucking Rush fans. The bigger the kit, the better the drummer, duh.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 6:53pm
Heston wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 6:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

In Canada, the explanation can be fucking Rush fans. The bigger the kit, the better the drummer, duh.
Ah, the old "drum castle."

Fucking indulgent wankers.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Poor roadies.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/