Kory wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 12:44pm
WestwayKid wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 6:08am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 11:31am
Flex wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 10:41am
Here's a long read on Revolution #9: http://www.denofgeek.com/us/culture/the ... volution-9
Thanks for sharing that. Sure, we can appreciate the technical work in creating it and Lennon et al's vision and intent, but the listening's just not all that interesting to me. It's still better than Ringo's "Good Night" that closes the album, but that's not that great a feat.
Good Night is an interesting track. I've read several times that the original version - with guide vocal sung by Lennon - was absolutely breathtaking...but it appears to have been erased (or as one source said - Lennon insisted no tape was to roll when he put down the guide for Ringo). McCartney once called it the best Lennon vocal never heard/released. We're left with an "over lush" glop of sweetness sung by Ringo - when it sounds like we could have had something closer to Beautiful Boy.

To chime in Revolution 9 - I can listen to it. There are some interesting sounds to be heard - even some funny ones - and the White Album is such a bizarre recording in general. If I have easy access and can skip it - sometimes I will - but more because it's just too long.

"The Watusi...The Twist..."
How in the world do you put down a guide vocal without running tape?
Good point. Maybe it was a guide performance with Ringo listening.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Here's a long read on Revolution #9: http://www.denofgeek.com/us/culture/the ... volution-9
Thanks for sharing that. Sure, we can appreciate the technical work in creating it and Lennon et al's vision and intent, but the listening's just not all that interesting to me. It's still better than Ringo's "Good Night" that closes the album, but that's not that great a feat.
Good Night is an interesting track. I've read several times that the original version - with guide vocal sung by Lennon - was absolutely breathtaking...but it appears to have been erased (or as one source said - Lennon insisted no tape was to roll when he put down the guide for Ringo). McCartney once called it the best Lennon vocal never heard/released. We're left with an "over lush" glop of sweetness sung by Ringo - when it sounds like we could have had something closer to Beautiful Boy.

To chime in Revolution 9 - I can listen to it. There are some interesting sounds to be heard - even some funny ones - and the White Album is such a bizarre recording in general. If I have easy access and can skip it - sometimes I will - but more because it's just too long.

Poor word choice on my part. Story I heard apparently came from an interview with George Harrison. He said John sang the song for Ringo - helping him understand how to sing it - but that he insisted no tape was rolling. So...sort of a "guide" vocal that maybe technically wasn't a true "guide vocal"?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 12:57pm
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

Exactly. Harrison said John was very self conscious about it and insisted that no tape be rolling while he did it.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 1:02pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Exactly. Harrison said John was very self conscious about it and insisted that no tape be rolling while he did it.
I would have had a little tape recorder under the desk that I would use in instances like that.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 1:32pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I would have had a little tape recorder under the desk that I would use in instances like that.
Check out Ringo M Nixon over here.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A thought: Wasn't The Travelling Wilburys an update of Paul's Pepper concept—famous musicians pretending they're someone else? I mention it only because George and John thought it was dumb gimmick when the Beatles did it. Was this George finally conceding Paul's idea was okay or was it a passive-aggressive fuck you to Paul—the idea is fine only if Paul's not in the band?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 1:32pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Might be a little difficult smuggling in a desk.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Every time I hear A Day in the Life I think of this guy

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 May 2018, 10:50am
A thought: Wasn't The Travelling Wilburys an update of Paul's Pepper concept—famous musicians pretending they're someone else? I mention it only because George and John thought it was dumb gimmick when the Beatles did it. Was this George finally conceding Paul's idea was okay or was it a passive-aggressive fuck you to Paul—the idea is fine only if Paul's not in the band?
Harrison was just a miserable bastard, full stop. Dude was in the Beatles, he needed to lighten up.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
09 May 2018, 4:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 May 2018, 10:50am
Harrison was just a miserable bastard, full stop. Dude was in the Beatles, he needed to lighten up.
Partly miserable bastard, but he was right about the bullshit of Beatlemania and all the expectations and importance placed them all. In that respect, he was Kurt Cobain with a better outlet for his frustrations.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Check out this at 45mins 10secs.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

John observed that Paul would always try to do something to make himself look different on album covers/photos etc, "like paint his ear red" I think was the line — barefoot on Abbey Road, for instance. I just noticed he's the only one on Help! not wearing a hat:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
14 May 2018, 11:06am
John observed that Paul would always try to do something to make himself look different on album covers/photos etc, "like paint his ear red" I think was the line — barefoot on Abbey Road, for instance. I just noticed he's the only one on Help! not wearing a hat:

What an odd thing for the guy who loved the Beatles more than any of them.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 May 2018, 6:17pm
Check out this at 45mins 10secs.
And your bird can steal....

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Well, Paul & Linda song. This cover came up on the Beatles Channel this morning AND WHO HAS BEEN KEEPING IT FROM ME ALL THESE YEARS!??!?!

cool af version imho
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!