Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 12:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 10:19am
White Album super deluxe ultra mondo total wowee zowee complete edition coming out in November: https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-beat ... ry-2382932
It doesn't have the fancy remixes...but a group of "archivists" calling themselves Purple Chick have been compiling deluxe editions of the Beatles' catalog for several years:

http://www.webgrafikk.com/beatles1/pc/html/deluxe.html

Made to be freely distributed - I've found them to be great additions to my collection: great sounding needle drops of the original vinyl (mono and stereo) along with associated non-album singles and a nice selection of demos, sessions, and so on.
All those Purple Chick collections are highly recommended. Their sole limitation is that they're based on the pre-remasters of a few years ago. But a person could be quite satisfied limiting their Beatles collection to just those Purple Chick sets.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 1:19pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
White Album super deluxe ultra mondo total wowee zowee complete edition coming out in November: https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-beat ... ry-2382932
It doesn't have the fancy remixes...but a group of "archivists" calling themselves Purple Chick have been compiling deluxe editions of the Beatles' catalog for several years:

Made to be freely distributed - I've found them to be great additions to my collection: great sounding needle drops of the original vinyl (mono and stereo) along with associated non-album singles and a nice selection of demos, sessions, and so on.
All those Purple Chick collections are highly recommended. Their sole limitation is that they're based on the pre-remasters of a few years ago. But a person could be quite satisfied limiting their Beatles collection to just those Purple Chick sets.
I went through a phase (pre-remasters) where I picked up as many needle drops as I could (mostly DESS) and even though I like the official remasters - I sometimes prefer the DESS versions.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 2:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I went through a phase (pre-remasters) where I picked up as many needle drops as I could (mostly DESS) and even though I like the official remasters - I sometimes prefer the DESS versions.
I have ton of those Beatles boots from when Dimeadozen allowed them. That said, have I ever listened to the complete Get Back sessions? Good lord, no. But I'm glad to have it all stored away for when some writer makes reference to a particular song on this date or that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 2:50pm
WestwayKid wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 2:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I have ton of those Beatles boots from when Dimeadozen allowed them. That said, have I ever listened to the complete Get Back sessions? Good lord, no. But I'm glad to have it all stored away for when some writer makes reference to a particular song on this date or that.
Ha, I also have the complete Get Back sessions and no - I have never listened to them, either! :mrgreen:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Is anybody actually planning on getting that White Album Super DLX? I got the Pepper's one and I barely even look at it. As a completist I feel it's my responsibility to my collection to pick it up, but it's likely to just take up space after the initial listen.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Sep 2018, 12:55pm
Is anybody actually planning on getting that White Album Super DLX? I got the Pepper's one and I barely even look at it. As a completist I feel it's my responsibility to my collection to pick it up, but it's likely to just take up space after the initial listen.
I will be acquiring a copy, yes, tho because of the many, many, many Beatles boots out there—including the aforementioned Purple Chick releases—there's nothing on it I haven't heard before.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
I think I'm going to pass. It's always tempting - but I'm thinking I probably wouldn't play it enough to justify the purchase. Not that I don't like the White Album - but I already have several versions.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

John Lennon would have been 78 today. Wow.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I'm thinking of Rutles songs instead.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

George Harrison wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 4:17pm
I'm thinking of Rutles songs instead.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Paul McCartney wrote: I'm thinking of Rutles songs instead. :angry:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

The advance remix of Back In the USSR sounds pretty fucking great. Listen to those claps on the last verses. And the drums are centred! I might get this even though it's not one of my favourite Beatles albums...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
I thought the sound was great on the Pepper remix. When I get round to listening to Pepper again that will be the version I choose.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I'm not even hesitating for a moment getting this Whit Album Deluxe. Not only do we get a remix, which was fucking great for SP but we get the Esther demos in stereo. How can you not want this?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

coffeepotman wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 7:47am
I'm not even hesitating for a moment getting this Whit Album Deluxe. Not only do we get a remix, which was fucking great for SP but we get the Esther demos in stereo. How can you not want this?
Because I have limited physical space to house it, and if I only keep a digital version, I'll never listen to it.