The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Slotting this so low is quite unconventional. What's your rationale?
Well, "low" is relative, first of all. None of the albums are anything less than great, imho.
Of course. Mediocre Beatles is still better than many bands' best efforts.
But I find the album a bit plodding relative to Let it Be (which I used to not rate very highly, but now consider a fairly crisp and wistful album), and less exciting than the handful of albums that came prior. While the A-side is pretty unimpeachable, I have only marginal interest in most of the B-side of Abbey Road. And, if we're not talking about their All Time Classic Cuts, I tend to prefer their early Rock & Roll slighter songs to their latter day We're The Beatles slighter songs.
Lennon's with you on side 2 of AR. Can't recall the exact quote, but he found the connected tracks to be a bunch of half-baked crap held together by a gimmick. Eh, maybe.

I probably agree with your last sentence, too. There's a tendency to snort at Beatlemania era songs in comparison to the stuff when they became artists, but, ho daddy, they were so damned good at coming up with 2 minutes pop songs. Perhaps we dismiss those songs because the band themselves got bored with them, but they didn't have a lot of rivals in those early days.
As I recall, he wanted one of his other songs on the B-side of "Come Together," citing that he could just listen to the single and never the album.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Slotting this so low is quite unconventional. What's your rationale?
Well, "low" is relative, first of all. None of the albums are anything less than great, imho.
But I find the album a bit plodding relative to Let it Be (which I used to not rate very highly, but now consider a fairly crisp and wistful album), and less exciting than the handful of albums that came prior. While the A-side is pretty unimpeachable, I have only marginal interest in most of the B-side of Abbey Road. And, if we're not talking about their All Time Classic Cuts, I tend to prefer their early Rock & Roll slighter songs to their latter day We're The Beatles slighter songs.
Lennon's with you on side 2 of AR. Can't recall the exact quote, but he found the connected tracks to be a bunch of half-baked crap held together by a gimmick. Eh, maybe.

I probably agree with your last sentence, too. There's a tendency to snort at Beatlemania era songs in comparison to the stuff when they became artists, but, ho daddy, they were so damned good at coming up with 2 minutes pop songs. Perhaps we dismiss those songs because the band themselves got bored with them, but they didn't have a lot of rivals in those early days.
As I recall, he wanted one of his other songs on the B-side of "Come Together," citing that he could just listen to the single and never the album.
Jesus, what a prick. :lol:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:Beatles albums in order, according to me:

1. Revolver
2. The White Album
3. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (sorry not sorry, but I actually really like this album)
4. A Hard Day's Night
5. Rubber Soul
6. Help!
7. Beatles for Sale
8. Let It Be
9. With the Beatles
10. Please Please Me
11. Abbey Road
12. Yellow Submarine
I do too. I think a top total would be hard, but it might go something like:

1. Revolver
2. Magical Mystery Tour
3. Abbey Road (I really like the big medley—it's in line with my love of ambition)
4. Pepper's
5. Beatles for Sale
6. White
7. Hard Day's Night
8. Rubber Soul
9. Please Please Me
10. Let it Be
11. With the Beatles
12. Yellow Sub

That was really hard and it's probably totally wrong after #5.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

We all know he didn't care for Paul's sentimentality, as much as you don't. I can imagine you doing the same thing.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:The road to Sgt. Pepper for me:

1. Revolver
2. Abbey Road
3. Rubber Soul
4. White Album
5. Magical Mystery Tour (US version with singles appended)
6. Hard Day's Night
7. Pepper
That's a good list. Also, I realized I forgot to include Magical Mystery Tour, my list is reflected to add it back in.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:As I recall, he wanted one of his other songs on the B-side of "Come Together," citing that he could just listen to the single and never the album.
We all know he didn't care for Paul's sentimentality, as much as you don't. I can imagine you doing the same thing.
:lol: Funny, tho, I find Paul's best stuff was in the post-Pepper period.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

the pre-facial hair stuff was best, nerds.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:As I recall, he wanted one of his other songs on the B-side of "Come Together," citing that he could just listen to the single and never the album.
:lol: Funny, tho, I find Paul's best stuff was in the post-Pepper period.
Speaking of Pepper, I read in Revolution that the plan was initially to add Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane to the album, but since they came out as a single within 8 months of the album they couldn't do it (by law or something). George Martin called it one of the biggest mistakes of his career. What would y'all think of the album with those two included, maybe with two others removed?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:the pre-facial hair stuff was best, nerds.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:Speaking of Pepper, I read in Revolution that the plan was initially to add Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane to the album, but since they came out as a single within 8 months of the album they couldn't do it (by law or something). George Martin called it one of the biggest mistakes of his career. What would y'all think of the album with those two included, maybe with two others removed?
SFF is a big plus, PL is a minor debit, so overall a plus, especially if it means breaking it to George that he gets nothing on this album.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:Speaking of Pepper, I read in Revolution that the plan was initially to add Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane to the album, but since they came out as a single within 8 months of the album they couldn't do it (by law or something). George Martin called it one of the biggest mistakes of his career. What would y'all think of the album with those two included, maybe with two others removed?
SFF is a big plus, PL is a minor debit, so overall a plus, especially if it means breaking it to George that he gets nothing on this album.
Why don't you like sitars?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Not a sound I especially like—it grates on me—but the larger point is that George's sitar songs are pretty weak as songs. For Beatles songs with a sitar, only "Norwegian Wood" works.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Not a sound I especially like—it grates on me—but the larger point is that George's sitar songs are pretty weak as songs. For Beatles songs with a sitar, only "Norwegian Wood" works.
What about Tomorrow Never Knows?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Is there a sitar in there? Okay, that one definitely works, too.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Is there a sitar in there? Okay, that one definitely works, too.
*whew*