Band members who didn't get enough recognition.

General music discussion.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen

Re: Band members who didn't get enough recognition.

Post by Wolter » 17 Mar 2010, 12:21pm

eumaas wrote:
Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:I don't really mind Lydon's fake-PiL/solo work, but the man, as important as he is, isn't top shelf talent even by punk standards. I realize this is a controversial statement but I think his artistic decline is evidence.
I think he used up whatever he had by about 1981 or so. 1976-1981 was a fucking hell of a run, but I bet a lot of that had to do with the caliber of his collaborators, as well.
I think 76-81 Lydon was himself an innovator, but limited as an artist.
Agreed. He can claim he did it all himself, but he needed a Jonesy or a Wobble or a Levene or an Atkins to actually execute his ideas.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory » 17 Mar 2010, 12:49pm

Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:I don't really mind Lydon's fake-PiL/solo work, but the man, as important as he is, isn't top shelf talent even by punk standards. I realize this is a controversial statement but I think his artistic decline is evidence.
I think he used up whatever he had by about 1981 or so. 1976-1981 was a fucking hell of a run, but I bet a lot of that had to do with the caliber of his collaborators, as well.
Agreed. He can claim he did it all himself, but he needed a Jonesy or a Wobble or a Levene or an Atkins to actually execute his ideas.
Glen Matlock
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Wolter

Post by Wolter » 17 Mar 2010, 12:52pm

Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Glen Matlock
Oops. Didn't mean to leave him off.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

modskin
Unknown Immortal

Post by modskin » 17 Mar 2010, 4:17pm

Tony Gilkyson.. It's hard to fill Billy Zoom's shoes, but he did a damn fine job during his stint with X.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston » 17 Mar 2010, 4:21pm

Vince Sheppard
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 17 Mar 2010, 5:04pm

Mal Waldron. Not a flashy player by any means, yet he was equally comfortable in straight and avant settings. But nobody ever talks about him.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 17 Mar 2010, 5:48pm

Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Wolter wrote:
For evidence of his need for capable collaborators, see Psycho's Path.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex » 17 Mar 2010, 6:03pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Why would you bring up Lydon's greatest masterpiece if you're trying to illustrate his need for collaborators?
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 17 Mar 2010, 6:13pm

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Wolter wrote: I think he used up whatever he had by about 1981 or so. 1976-1981 was a fucking hell of a run, but I bet a lot of that had to do with the caliber of his collaborators, as well.
Why would you bring up Lydon's greatest masterpiece if you're trying to illustrate his need for collaborators?
To prove that, like death and taxes, I'm always an idiot.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton » 17 Mar 2010, 6:16pm

Heston wrote:Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckler.

The fact Weller got it horribly wrong after they parted company shouldn't be ignored.
Look at it the other way, what did Foxton and Buckler do after The Jam you Freak.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex » 17 Mar 2010, 6:18pm

101Walterton wrote:

The fact Weller got it horribly wrong after they parted company shouldn't be ignored.
Look at it the other way, what did Foxton and Buckler do after The Jam you Freak.
They released the same amount of good music as Weller? :shifty:
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton » 17 Mar 2010, 6:20pm

Flex wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Matedog wrong.

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 17 Mar 2010, 6:22pm

101Walterton: NZ's No. 1 Style Council Fan :cool:
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Wolter

Post by Wolter » 17 Mar 2010, 6:23pm

101Walterton wrote:
Flex wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Matedog wrong.
Well, you're not that wrong, 101W. But you are pretty wrong. Weller sure does suck, post-Jam.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton » 17 Mar 2010, 6:28pm

Wolter wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Flex wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Matedog wrong.
Well, you're not that wrong, 101W. But you are pretty wrong. Weller sure does suck, post-Jam.
Compared to The Jam most things look poor however Style Council had some great moments, Stanley Road, Wild Wood...