The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
JennyB
Clash Cuck

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by JennyB » 10 Dec 2009, 5:48pm

There is no reason that an otherwise good station such as the Garage channel on Sirius XM should play "Walk Like an Egyptian."
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 10 Dec 2009, 5:51pm

Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Wolter wrote:Youse Dylan nerds are so easy to rile up.
Elvis Costello can't sing.
But he writes a better song than Dylan. :shifty:

Seriously, you Dylan fans get so humorless about him.
Probably because we have to take a constant stream of shit about him on this board since forever?
I know, persecuted minority and all...

I bet Dylan gets more praise than blame on these boards.
Probably only a couple Dylan threads exist where you and others haven't popped in to bitch about him.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 10 Dec 2009, 5:53pm

You're all a bunch of radioactive ovaries.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen

Post by Wolter » 10 Dec 2009, 5:55pm

eumaas wrote:You're all a bunch of radioactive ovaries.
I'm not the one who gets his panties in a bunch whenever St. Bob is criticized.

EDIT: I think every musician gets criticized by someone when a thread about them is started.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 10 Dec 2009, 5:55pm

Wolter wrote:
I'm not the one who gets his panties in a bunch whenever St. Bob is criticized in objective terms.
Corrected.

Wolter

Post by Wolter » 10 Dec 2009, 5:57pm

eumaas wrote:
Wolter wrote:
I'm not the one who gets his panties in a bunch whenever St. Bob is criticized in objective terms.
Corrected.
Pedantically, so, yes.

As long as you get offended every time I lightly mock Dylan, you only encourage me.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston » 10 Dec 2009, 5:57pm

BostonBeaneater wrote:I stand corrected. A note from the man himself:
Love it. :mrgreen:
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex » 10 Dec 2009, 5:57pm

Wolter wrote:
No, you (and about half a dozen others here) just make a point of going out of your way to criticize him whenever anyone starts a thread about him.

I'll bet if people did that for, say, Elvis Costello or Tom Waits, after a few years you'd start to get a little defensive too.

It's funny because the complaint me and eumaas have isn't even that people don't like him, it's that people should just be more honest about the subjectivity of their tastes - which is something you normally get behind.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 10 Dec 2009, 5:58pm

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:
No, you (and about half a dozen others here) just make a point of going out of your way to criticize him whenever anyone starts a thread about him.

I'll bet if people did that for, say, Elvis Costello or Tom Waits, after a few years you'd start to get a little defensive too.

It's funny because the complaint me and eumaas have isn't even that people don't like him, it's that people should just be more honest about the subjectivity of their tastes - which is something you normally get behind.
Yep.

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 10 Dec 2009, 5:59pm

And actually, I'm just as defensve of Tom Waits when the authenticity guys here (BJ and SM) start going off on him.

Wolter

Post by Wolter » 10 Dec 2009, 6:01pm

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:

I actually don't think EC can sing very well. He's gotten better as a singer at sadly the same rate he's declined as a songwriter.
Last edited by Wolter on 10 Dec 2009, 6:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolter

Post by Wolter » 10 Dec 2009, 6:01pm

I still think both of your cries for more objectivity are tinged with your own subjective fandoms.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex » 10 Dec 2009, 6:02pm

Wolter wrote:I actually dont think EC can sing very well. He's gotten better as a singer at sadly the same rate he's declined as a songwriter.
Okay, I'll spend half a decade posting about how EC is a shitty singer every time someone brings him up and I'm sure you'll never get sick of it.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 10 Dec 2009, 6:04pm

eumaas wrote:What does "can't sing" mean?
Shorthand for "his singing voice displeases me and/or causes me anguish."
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 10 Dec 2009, 6:05pm

I think EC is competent for his genre. I just don't like his timbre. I've never criticized his musicianship on here though. I also don't like Weller's timbre but I got used to it. I'm sure I could do the same with EC, I just haven't got around to it yet.